Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > 'Corrugated road' vibration problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Delboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Thanks for the info. The indie says he suspects the torque converter at the moment.
It goes in on the 17th for a thorough check. Derek Hill
2009 FL2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #356265 6th Sep 2018 10:01 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Try it in command shift & change gear manually & see if it's better?
Although rare, the torque converter/autobox can cause this. Like the Disco 3 6 speed symptoms.

regards
Steve

Post #356424 8th Sep 2018 2:37 pm
Horsemaddad

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Hello Yorky Bob,
Sorry for the late reply; I've only just seen your question! I'll check the bill - or if its not specified I'll ask them and get back to you.
In any case, I'll no longer be a Freelander owner by the end of this week. Regrettably, I'm having to sell it. It's caused me a lot of expense over the past three or so years, but I still love it and it will be hard to let it go! Crying or Very sad

Post #356521 10th Sep 2018 10:34 am
Horsemaddad

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Hello Yorky Bob,
In answer to your question, it was the inner drive shaft (tripod?) joint at the transfer box end on the passenger side of the car. Cleaned out, lubricated and put back together. Problem solved. I wish all the other problems had been so easy to fix.
Colin.

Post #356699 12th Sep 2018 2:03 pm
Delboy

Well I now have some more info on this sad story. The vibration got much worse very quickly, over just two days of use. It became so violent it was obvious something very serious was wrong.
The car was taken to my local indie - JSF4x4, in Norwich - they soon got back to me with the bad news. The FNS driveshaft, torque converter and auto transmission have all failed. Cost of repair just under £4,200. Big Cry Big Cry

This is on a car I bought from a LR main dealer as an Inchcape Signature used car, have had a few days over one year and have only done 6,000 miles in.
I also bought the Inchcape used car warranty for three years cover which they insisted was almost as good as the LR Aproved Used warranty, the only exception being it didn’t cover oil seals.
So, a warranty claim has been lodged on my behalf by the indie, but because of the cost involved they have stated an assessor will attend to both inspect the vehicle and confirm the cost of repair. Fair enough.
I must confess I am Censored myself in case, for whatever reason, they refuse the claim. It’s insurance after all and we all know how much insurance companies try to avoid liability.
I don’t see how or why they would refuse it, but nothing would surprise me.
I paid for a major service at the main dealers just before I took delivery, and then had my indi go through it with a fine toothcombe looking for any issues as well as change every oil and filter on the car.
I have also had this years service done by the indie, all be it just over a month early so it coincided with the MoT test.
Fingers crossed they’ll accept the warranty claim. I’m stuffed if they don’t and Ive still got another two years to go paying for the car.

The icing on this horrible cake is that I have experienced two major mechanical breakdowns in just one month, as a couple of weeks ago, my Jaguar XKR suffered a broken driveshaft. Unbelievable bad luck I think. The Jaguar main dealer is picking up the tab for that one thankfully, but I’ll be without the Jag until late October as there are no new driveshafts available with Jaguar U.K. at this time.
You couldn’t make it up.
Still, worse things happen at sea as they say. Derek Hill
2009 FL2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #357479 23rd Sep 2018 6:00 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Be ready to fend off “the oil seal failed” then.

I would not give voluntarily any information on the early fluid changes. Let the assessor ask his questions and of course answer them correctly but claims have years ago been dismissed for not sticking ridgedly to the manufacturers service schedule to include premature actions.

I feel your pain. Crying or Very sad FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #357482 23rd Sep 2018 6:21 pm
Delboy

Well I’m over the moon to say that the Inchcape warranty has delivered and agreed to pay the full costs of the repair.
The car needs a complete auto transmission and FNS driveshaft to the value of nearly £4200.
Phew!
Why the transmission main bearing would fail out of the blue is anyone’s guess. Derek Hill
2009 FL2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #357790 28th Sep 2018 3:17 pm
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

result

Post #357840 29th Sep 2018 6:08 pm
Delboy

The cause was found to be the transmission main bearing had failed for no apparent reason. This in turn had knocked out the torque converter and FNS driveshaft.
Even the indie said he’d not heard of a main bearing failing before.
Glad it’s fixed now though. Derek Hill
2009 FL2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #358277 7th Oct 2018 10:53 am
Delboy

It never rains .....
So the genuine LR exchange/reconditioned transmission was fitted a couple of weeks ago.
On getting the car back immediately I noticed a loud annoying whine in first gear.
Drive it for a few hundred miles they said to see if it goes away.
I could stand it for almost one hundred miles then no more, I took it back.
LR accepted there is a fault with their exchange unit and have taken it back to fit yet another one.
Still waiting for the car which should have been done last week. Sad Derek Hill
2009 FL2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #359519 28th Oct 2018 7:57 am
Badger51

Australia 

That would give you a lot of confidence in LR abilities then.... (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #359521 28th Oct 2018 9:19 am
Nigelhirst

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

This is a very interesting post. I've got exactly the same problem. I already had the autobox flushed, and the local independent diagnosed a prop shaft problem. One new propshaft later and no difference (the propshaft was removed and the problem was said to go away, hence the diagnosis).
I'd be interested to hear how the n/s driveshaft was diagnosed. I can't see or feel anything in any of my driveshafts...

Post #359635 29th Oct 2018 8:22 pm
Delboy

Hi Nigel, the indie told me they felt slight play at the outer end but a lot of play at the inboard end where it joined the transmission.
At first they thought it was just the driveshaft but added it may have damaged the transmission.
In the end they said it was most likely the other way around but I don’t know how they can tell. Derek Hill
2009 FL2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #359636 29th Oct 2018 8:28 pm
Nigelhirst

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Thanks Derek. I will get mine off the ground again tomorrow. I couldn't feel any movement but I will try harder 😀
I'm also thinking an engine issue, because I would also describe it as like a 'bad misfire'. It's the wife's car, so I don't drive it much, but I don't remember the engine ever feeling so 'rough' before..
Nigel

Post #359643 29th Oct 2018 9:17 pm
Pal

Hungary 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi All,

I have the same issue like you guys, having this kind of hunming between 1500-2100rpm under light acceleration and uphill dirve on highways for example. I cannot feel any play in the propshaft, however will bring it to a local indie to have a look. Has anyone tried may be at Bell Engineering?
I hope to not to have any significant trouble with the gearbox/transfer case....

Post #359890 3rd Nov 2018 2:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>