Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Freelander 2 out Discovery Sport in
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
steveyb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Aintree Green

It's true anyone reading these forums would be scared to death after reading the multitude of catastrophies that seems to accompany LR ownership. Maybe they only attract those that have had problems and it's difficult to put into perspective how those compare in percentage terms with overall LR ownership. All I can say I have owned a Disco 2 and a 3 and the Freelander and never encountered any serious issues. They have all been a joy to own .

Post #359472 27th Oct 2018 10:12 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

You are probably right Stevey - I bought a 64 plate FL2 SE demonstrator and had to have the Diff replaced with less than 25k on the clock. Apart from that inexcusable fault the car has been ok BUT the issue with the DS and its DPF problems would certainly concern me when I come to replace. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #359474 27th Oct 2018 10:55 am
landgreen

Canada 

It's a well known-fact that pre-September 2015 JLR cocked up the exhausts on several of their EU6 cars, sold them to gullible owners and then lied about the inherent problems, directly and through their dealerships. As a consequence, over several years the owners of these cars are going to be facing bills for several thousand pounds that they hadn't been warned about in advance.

Thanks in large part to the efforts of a few dedicated people on the DS forum who pushed this issue into the public arena, the misrepresentation has been curbed, the misselling has almost stopped, people know how to reject their DS cars as "not of satisfactory quality" and "not as described", EMaC service contracts have been modified to include additional free services, the JLR position on provision of "goodwill" oil services has been ratified, the company has acknowledged publicly that there is a known fault that is still being worked on by their engineers and, last but not least, potential owners have the opportunity to decide, knowing ALL the facts, whether they want to buy a Discovery Sport that will only manage 7,000 miles between services, which is the mileage achieved by an "average" DS driver - see here: https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6469

How much of that would have happened without the pressure coming from the internet and other social media?

The people responsible for outing JLR's incompetence and misanthropy didn't START OUT as disgruntled owners, they got that way because they paid a lot of money for what turned out to be unreliable, shoddy cars with deeply-engrained faults that the manufacturer knew about when they bought them. Shooting the messenger is not smart strategically, it never equates with the psychology of a winner and usually it reveals other character traits that are better off not discussed in polite company.

Post #359541 28th Oct 2018 2:52 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

My (MY16) DS is happy with one interim oil change and one Adblue topup between 21000 mile services. The problem seems to be for those people who do low mileages /town driving, who should never have bought a diesel in the first place (and should in fairness have been advised not to). Later model DS have had some of the faults ironed out but do need more frequent Adblue topups.

I don't intend to change mine at the moment, because technology and regs seem to be changing so fast - what I really need is a plug-in hybrid. I don't think I'll go for another diesel: although it suits my requirements in other respects, I mistrust the increasingly complex attempts to curb emissions. This is the third diesel out of four with EGR problems (the others were a D2 and a FL2) and I've also had problems with the Adblue injector. As far as I can tell though, these problems are not confined to Land Rover. For example there seem to be a fair few problems with Transit vans, and they have always been as reliable as they come. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #359548 28th Oct 2018 5:00 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

There has been some good work done on the DS website with regards to helping those owners who quite rightly believe they were sold a car with known faults AND a manufacturer that blatantly lied about the faults.

On the other hand, this forum is generally friendly (OK very friendly), whereas the DS forum does have far more participants who seem to be intolerant of others views. I am not saying that one persons view is more valued, just that we are all entitled to our views, and shouldn't be berated, even if you believe them to be wrong. Here to be honest you are far more likely to get the P Censored ss taken, than shouted down.

The DS on the other hand IS a nice car to drive, the lack of a spare wheel is a worry, as is the almost continual software updates. I am spending far less on fuel compared to the FL2, so the extra adblue cost is easily swallowed. Did anyone really believe that 21,000 miles between services was going to be good for long term ownership? I know I was always going to do an oil and filter change in-between official services.

Fact, modern euro6 diesels don't like short journeys - this is common across many manufacturers, could that be why so many are dropping diesels across their range?, the warranty claims and lack of owner satisfaction must make for inconvenient reading back at the factories. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #359552 28th Oct 2018 5:35 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Just get rid or it before the diesel needs new injectors. My mechanic said that I would be looking at $6500 if I was intending on keeping the typical Australian diesel car long term. Even though I was spending more on petrol it is cheaper in the long run. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #359576 29th Oct 2018 2:12 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12