Home > In Car Electronics > Alpine premium audio query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dragore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Zermatt Silver
Alpine premium audio query

Hi all,

I have a 2008 HST with the full HSE interior spec including the sat nav and alpine audio, I'm a bit dubious about the 'Alpine' section as it appears the all the speakers I have seen the back of have panasonic\phillips (can't remember which one it was sorry) stickers on the magnets is this normal for this audio set up?

Next has anybody noticed at high volume when the sub is required such as in dance music the amplifier seems to struggle for electrical power and
Drops the volume to all speakers. I have come across this before in an old set up I built in my skyline many moons ago when assulting my eardrums was a top priority šŸ˜‹ I solved this problem then with a capacitor to supply the amp with constant power when needed. Does anybody know if this is possible with this system? I do realize the main data section of this setup is fibre so a pain to play with but is the power delivery normal copper?

I realise this is a kinda weird question but I do still like to assault my ears from time to time so would like to improve the audio.

Thanks in advance If your going through hell, keep going!

Wrapper of rear pillars šŸ˜€

Post #357952 1st Oct 2018 8:47 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

power cant be transmitted down fibre yet as the eggheads haven't figured out the laser requirements, so any power feeds will be via copper.

Post #357971 2nd Oct 2018 8:10 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

I have the midline Alpine setup in mine and I suffer from the volume drop on particularly intense pieces, especially those that have some very deep bass along with drum, guitar etc all at the same time. And only at fairly high volumes.

I had always assumed it was a safety cut off type thing to stop anything being damaged. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because Iā€™m mental

Post #358009 2nd Oct 2018 8:50 pm
Dragore

RogB wrote:
power cant be transmitted down fibre yet as the eggheads haven't figured out the laser requirements, so any power feeds will be via copper.

Hi

Thank you for your reply i totally realise that the power wouldn't be fibre and that it was the wrong terminology to ask if it was still copper, I was just wondering if they used some weird connections like powering it from the tailgate handle or something or it had a dedicated wiring loom (joking about the tailgate handle)

I was wondering if a capacitor placed right off the amp would offer a load push when needed.

Thumbs Up If your going through hell, keep going!

Post #358071 3rd Oct 2018 4:29 pm
Dragore

Chuckalicious wrote:
I have the midline Alpine setup in mine and I suffer from the volume drop on particularly intense pieces, especially those that have some very deep bass along with drum, guitar etc all at the same time. And only at fairly high volumes.

I had always assumed it was a safety cut off type thing to stop anything being damaged.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, that makes me feel slightly better knowing that there isn't a fault with my system.

Interesting theory about an inbuilt protection mechanism I don't actually know the wattage rating for the teenie tiny sub in the boot. It does annoy me as the first bass note is usually at a good volume then the whole lot drops down as if just to rub it in Censored

So if the Alpine was the midline system is there a Meridion system for ours as high end or something? if so as the fibre network is already there can the system be upgraded?

Cheers

Thumbs Up If your going through hell, keep going!

Post #358072 3rd Oct 2018 4:35 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

You're getting into messy territory with the highline
upgrade Laughing Laughing it has been discussed in extreme detail elsewhere on this forum with part numbers etc required. But it will cost a large sum to do it.

As for the volume dip, yes, you get the first hit of bass and I assume something in the system basically says "eh, no way. Too much" and dips the volume. It does it on numerous Machine Head tracks for me, which are obviously meant to be played at high volumes Evil or Very Mad

So whether it's a limitation or a safety cut in I don't know. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because Iā€™m mental

Post #358073 3rd Oct 2018 4:39 pm
Dragore

Censored Censored I refuse to be told by JLR how loud is safe!

I will make it better or die trying.................. If your going through hell, keep going!

Post #358089 3rd Oct 2018 8:18 pm
Deano64

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Hello

Don't really know what system is in mine ( 2014 GS) but sometimes , only when playing CD's on some tracks the first beat can be really loud , but then it settles down - again maybe a protection system I don't play CD's much in the car, - just when there's not much on my DAB

Post #358119 4th Oct 2018 10:24 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

the 2013> facelift systems were different manufacturer to the pre 2013. not sure who makes the 2014 GS systems but Meridian provide the higher spec ones with the larger dash screen

Post #358127 4th Oct 2018 10:40 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1