« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Oil in turbo and throttle valve
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Netshdw

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Oil in turbo and throttle valve

Hi, I'm new not-happy-anymore owner of FL2 with 2.2 diesel engine. Not long after purchase 'Restricted performance' warning light came on dashboard, so took my FL2 to garage, plugged computer in, etc. There was problem with EGR valve, which could be expected in a car at 50k miles. BUT after dismantling EGR there was engine oil discovered in pipes on both ends, original EGR valve itself was replaced already with cheap substitute (clean inside) and there was some work done to wiring, because isolation tape is not originally wrapped around. SO, I would like to ask for advise what should I do with my car - it's still under 30 days from purchasing and within mileage limit and I can reject it. I don't know what other surprises that car hides for the future, but I really really like it so I'm tempted to fix it (on seller's cost of course). Could you advise me please? Thanks

Post #356259 6th Sep 2018 8:23 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Get them to fix it as 50K is nothing but you left out the year (lots of MY13 cars have failed EGR valves) just be sure the car was not clocked or in a accident. There is oil build up in Turbo air pipes on a these cars. The wiring needs to be a bit better than insulation taped though. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #356262 6th Sep 2018 8:54 am
Netshdw

Thank you for reply. This car shouldn't been involved in an accident (all welds untouched, original paint on screws, dates on seatbelts matching, etc), not sure about clocking but doesn't look like, it's very good interior condition and pedals are still genuine without excessive wear&tear.
That's my first Freelander and I don't know much about them, so could you tell me are those oil build ups affecting turbo performance at all? Are they might cause turbo breakdown if become more severe? I can post photos later, because haven't seen it yet (same with wires). Thank you

Post #356270 6th Sep 2018 9:37 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Have a look at what others have posted in respect of Turbo and oil misting in pipes. Assuming its not Censored out its standard will not be a problem. Just wipe out the pipe to air cleaner now and then. Turbos are not a common failure but the Turbo arm/lever benefits from being worked and lubricated at any service time as they can seize up. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #356273 6th Sep 2018 9:54 am
Netshdw

Just came back from my indy garage and it doesn't look good. there's plenty oil in all air recirculation system, mechanic said that it might be leak in either turbo itself or oil breathe pump jet. And it's too much carbon deposits inside air ducts - I know that EGR is faulty, but he said it's way to much and probably manifolds require good cleaning as well. Any thoghts?

Post #356298 6th Sep 2018 6:10 pm
Delboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Iā€™d recommend a TerraClean. Derek Hill
2009 FL2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #356320 6th Sep 2018 10:24 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Netshdw, it seems to me from most of the posts on here that a reasonable amount of oil is very common in the air system of the FL2 and what you are seeing may not be unusual. The combination of soot from the EGR and oil condensate from the PCV combines to give a sticky, oily mess, especially around the inlet manifold. Some folks reckon blanking the EGR helps, some have added an oil separator, some use fuel additives, some add 2SO. I would want to be sure that what you are seeing really is a lot worse than normal before looking for added problems or sending the vehicle back. 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
ā€˜93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
ā€˜87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
ā€˜83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #356325 7th Sep 2018 5:11 am
jf_cole

Ireland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

Agreed. Freaked out when I first got mine and found oil in all the intake tracts. Seems to be fairly normal from the PCV system and not a fault.

Post #356610 11th Sep 2018 11:24 am
Netshdw

Thank you for advice, car is getting fixed under warranty and I will keep it, because it's a great ride. I've looked at similar threads on forum and tend to blank EGR to avoid further problems.

Post #356675 12th Sep 2018 7:39 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1