Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Tailgate Switch/Latch issues - All Here
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 14 <123 ... 11 121314>
Print this entire topic · 
PhilG57

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black

Went to the stealers, left the car for two days and they couldn't find the intermittent fault.
Yesterday it started again.
The boot won't open either from the local switch or from the remote control.
There is no audible click. The fuel filler opens so the fuse is good.
Any thoughts or suggestions to take back with me? Potted LR history since 1990:
Mk3 LWB Safari, Defender 90 County, Disco, Disco, FL1, FL1 RHD, FL1 Sport
MY08 TD4 HSE, MY15 TD4 SE Tech

Post #335305 17th Nov 2017 5:15 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Replace the tail gate switch as its a cheap enough and easy job and take it from there. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #335325 17th Nov 2017 6:50 pm
PhilG57

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Barolo Black

You're probably right. Although last time, on my 57 plate model, the switch had actually fallen to pieces and I could still open the boot with the key fob.

I'm hoping that it may just be debris in the lock mechanism. Potted LR history since 1990:
Mk3 LWB Safari, Defender 90 County, Disco, Disco, FL1, FL1 RHD, FL1 Sport
MY08 TD4 HSE, MY15 TD4 SE Tech

Post #335334 17th Nov 2017 7:42 pm
mace

Sweden 

Need to do mine again....
Swapped for new one last summer, now only works with fob. Rolling Eyes

Post #338702 5th Jan 2018 1:43 pm
Roadhog300

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Had this problem start two days ago latch kept opening now only opens with fob, popped down to the dealers £30 for new switch took me about an hour an a half, all good now.
Couldn't have done it without the guide on here, BIG THANKS.👍

Post #339330 13th Jan 2018 11:37 am
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

Just done mine. No visible signs of damage to the mechanism but a check with the multimeter showed the microswitch was dead, though it had never given any problems up to that point. Got a new one from ebay for £2.63 and all working fine now. A bit of a fiddle digging the old switch out of the plastic housing, but got there in the end.

Couldn't have done it without the pictures in this thread so many thanks for that.

My car has just turned 8 years old, and apart from a blown headlight bulb, this is the first thing that's actually gone wrong. I love it.

Post #341305 3rd Feb 2018 8:25 am
algemma

Ireland 

Hi. I am having a similar issue.

Basically, when I press the open-door button in the keyfob, the tail opens too. Also if I leave the car unlocked, the tailgates opens after a while.
As in your example, I can open it only with the key fob and not by pressing the button in the actual tailgate.

Do you think its a switch problem? I left to a car electric and he had not idea what to do.

Thanks in advance
Alessio

Post #342910 21st Feb 2018 3:17 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Almost certainly, yes. Classic symptoms.

Post #342911 21st Feb 2018 4:22 pm
algemma

Ireland 

Thanks for your reply. I will try with the tailgate switch. Got my 08 model last July so I am new to the forum. This helps!

Post #342913 21st Feb 2018 4:30 pm
Oxfaze

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Just wanted to say thank you for providing the excellent advice here - especially ajuniper's step by step photos right at the top.
Bought my MY08 TD4 last September and was getting increasingly irritated with intermittent boot self-unlocking and only being able to open the tailgate from the fob. Followed the instructions here to disassemble and lo and behold the switch mechanism was full of water and gunk. I briefly considered just replacing the microswitch, but I'm no great whizz with a soldering iron and the genuine LR replacement switch assembly was only £17.95 + £2.50 p+p from Duckworths on eB*y - it came two days later. Fitted all fine this weekend and I couldn't be happier.

In an attempt to avoid recurrence, rather than running clear silicone sealant along the top of the number plate light housing as others have done, I stuck a length of foam domestic draught excluder strip along the top before fixing it back on figuring it would be so compressed once the nuts were tight as to be virtually water tight, as well as compensating for the original black foam strip that had mostly disintegrated and pulled away. Time will tell if that works...

Post #343393 26th Feb 2018 4:52 pm
brengun

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

SFrench wrote:
I've read many posts on this issue and finally plucked up courage, purchased the switch and set about replacing it this weekend. Of course the plan didn't survive the first point of contact. I cannot remove 2 of the six tailgate housing unit bolts! The problem is the studs mounted to the rear of the tailgate housing unit turn with the bolt so whatever the stud is fixed to, no longer holds it in one position. Of course, anyone who has worked in this area will know the bolts are difficult to access.

Anyone encountered this and can anyone advise on how to remove the unit. As a desperate measure I have considered sacrificing the mounded plastic unit by drilling through it to allow me to get to the back of the studs to cut them out. going in through the housing

Thanks for reading,
Simon

Wow, just had this same issue this morning and now stuck. So straight to this forum to search for an answer. How did you resolve...

Any advise/suggestions from anybody else.

Regards, Bren

Post #353742 21st Jul 2018 11:15 am
Lammie

South Africa 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Indus Silver

Hi there. Thanks for all the info on here.
My2009 tailgate also decided not to open at all. I hoped it was just the switch, but not so lucky for me.
I can hear the latch inside making a click noise but that was all, no door opening and the car said 'tailgate open'

I had to remove the door panels, from the inside while the door was closed.
Then I unpluged the wiring from the latch meganism and removed the 3 bolts holding the latch to the door and opened the door.

Now I had the lock mechanism stuck to the latch. I tried removing the latch from the vehicle but my L shaped star was to big to fit between the plastic strip covering the bolts.

I hack sawed the rear from the lock mechanism and used a screw driver to unlock the latch.
Now that I had everything apart. All I had to do was remove the funny loocking screw on the bottom of the lock mechanism. This will split the Electric opening part from the mechanic part, flick the plastic lever to the side and the lock would have unlocked

I opened the lock mechanism and saw that the worm screw thing a ma jig shaft was broken.
I tried gluing and also pratley steel to fix it, but it only lasted 3 test runs before braking again. So it was off to the stealers for a replacement part.

I replaced the broken lock to use the car in the mean time, I can open the tailgate manually, the only problem is the car says the tailgate is open and the interior lights stay on while driving. I can manually lock the doors when parked and the interior lights go of after I think 5 minutes.

I tried to attach pictures but something does not allow it

Post #354767 11th Aug 2018 7:48 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Well, Stealers requires me to take Florrie to them on day 1 so they can check if indeed it is the tailgate switch** that is faulty then return on day 2 for them to order one in and fix it. Now although Florrie is still under warranty it is a 64 mile round trip each day so taking in cost of fuel I think I'll DIY it following the excellent guide on here.

** symptoms read points to switch. ie. only open on fob button.

Anyone got part number handy please? If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #356117 3rd Sep 2018 4:13 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Jules there is a part number change at some point so you need to be sure by using your VIN number. Suspect it was when MY13 came along. I was given the wrong part even with car sat outside the stealers. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #356121 3rd Sep 2018 4:53 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Diolch YB. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #356124 3rd Sep 2018 5:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 12 of 14 <123 ... 11 121314>