Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Front Windscreen Wipers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mgwanderer

Belgium 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Indus Silver

Sorry to but into this terrible problem but I thought you said earlier that the relay was checked and was found serviceable, are there 2 relays in this circuit????

Kickin 70 wrote:
Just to finish this link. It takes six foolscap pages to relate the story and two letters of complaint to the Chief Executive of Lookers Land Rover, Colchester, and over eight days which they had my car, for them to finally identify a faulty relay which costs £5. For which they initially wanted to charge £508-37p -which I refused to pay and after consultation with "management" it was reduced to £256-00p. I cannot put into words what my opinion of LOOKERS is - there are no words which adequately describe the incompetence, indifference and just downright bad service provided by this garage. Big Cry However the wipers now work and I'm off to France in a few days to try to forget the whole incident Thumbs Up
 If it ain't ***ked don't fix it

Post #356078 2nd Sep 2018 3:42 pm
Kickin 70

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

MGWanderer - Sorry to have missed replying - only just looked back at my posts and found this. The answer to your question "does it have two relays?" is: not to my knowledge. The initial inspection of the relay was made by the Greenflag chappie, who in fairness did not have anything to actually check it. However, the useless incompetant "mechanics" at Lookers decided it wasn't that and went down the road of trying everything else - even with their "state of the art" equipment they couldn't identify the problem until eight days later, when I guess they went back to square one! The actual log of events and recorded phone conversations with Lookers is a classic lesson in how NOT to treat a customer. I will willingly make available to anyone who is so bored with life that they want to read it. But take it from me, Lookers of Colchester is NOT the place to take your car if you want any sort of competant, reliable service.

Post #383358 28th Dec 2019 2:52 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Kickin 70 wrote:
... over eight days which they had my car, for them to finally identify a faulty relay which costs £5. For which they initially wanted to charge £508-37p -...

crikey . I dont know how your dealership check relays but they should be able to do it in a few minutes because garages have access to lots of relays and can simply swap in a known working relay of the same type and see if the fault is eliminated. Simples.

If the DIYer doesnt have a spare good relay then they may be able move an identical one from someone else temporarily as a test.
If not then you just need a bit of basic 0-level DC current knowledge to test its function. Initially check that it clicks when 12v is applies to the appropriate terminals.

Loads of info about what to check with a multimeter on youtube. Jules

Post #383377 28th Dec 2019 7:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12