Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Best way to release 2.2 TD4 FL2 injectors?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Phil4444

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black
Best way to release 2.2 TD4 FL2 injectors?

Hi all - apologies not a new topic necessarily but one that (on u tube etc) accrues numerous views and methods on how to lift stubborn diesel injectors. My wife's FL2 is running smooth and pulls like a train but has the old 'thomas the tank engine' puffing past number 4 injector when cold - no puffing or noise when once engine is hot. Need to change the dreaded copper washer - has anyone (risky I know it sounds) with then engine running warm and at tickover attempted/succeeded or failed miserably tried losing a minute qtr turn at a time the allen key holding the injector retaining clamp. In theory as long as it is done slowly would have thought it could just marginally release the crud and carbon sufficient to release the injector only by a m/m or two without stretching fuel pies etc. Shut engine down and - in theory - the injector would dismantle out the head easier? I am a bit crazy but be interested to know as the alternatives of lifters and pullers doesn't appeal from what i see on peeps experiences - many thanks, Cheers . Phil Shocked

Post #355468 23rd Aug 2018 11:41 am
alex_pescaru

If it's puffing, I don't believe it will be difficult with the standard puller to extract it, if you spray ahead some WD40 or so when it's cold.
Because it's puffing and the space exists, then the WD40 will penetrate deep and the extraction will be a piece of cake.

Post #355483 23rd Aug 2018 3:59 pm
Phil4444

Many thanks Alex - will give that a go first - probably best approach -let you know - just waiting for a dry day here in Kent Sad , Cheers

Post #355612 26th Aug 2018 6:23 pm
Phil4444

hey Alex all done but not as I anticipated - wife called yesterday evening to say smoke coming through the vents so I went out to switch cars drove back and lifted the injector with a screwdriver !! - popped the new copper washer in i had lined up to do this weekend and hey presto all sorted. Thanks for your post and just shows when a washer goes all the gunk (and melted plastic injector collar !!) warms up nicely and only took 45 mins to fix !! Cheers Phil Thumbs Up

Post #355876 30th Aug 2018 8:28 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

If an injector has combustion blowing past the washer, then the likelihood is the alloy seat in the head has been indented due to the combustion wearing the seat.
They can be recut in place.
Keep an eye on it, as it may blow again shortly.

Regards
Steve

Post #355938 30th Aug 2018 7:54 pm
Phil4444

Thanks Steve - yes I did have that concern when fixing, I have one of those hand held small screen monitors with an LED camera light which probed down and could see a carbon track where the washer sat - in line with the carbon track that had (fortunately) dug a groove into the copper washer so am HOPING the head seat is ok but as you say will monitor for any repeat 'puffing'. I am old school and must say these are beefy injectors but the design is a bit hit and miss - just that long allen key bolt retaining the unit on top of a washer the only compression point ! there again you cant really have a threaded unit as that would really seize in later years of use I would imagine. Cheers. Phil

Post #355949 31st Aug 2018 7:05 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1