Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Using mobile phone (handset) whilst driving (UK)
Do you use your phone whilst driving?
Never (unless making 999 call which is allowed by law)
85%
 85%  [52]
Yes for calls
8%
 8%  [5]
Yes for texting
1%
 1%  [1]
Yes for calls and texting
3%
 3%  [2]
I go the whole hog and surf the net and watch videos
1%
 1%  [1]
Total Votes: 61

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

There was a case in the last couple of months where a HGV driver flouted the law to such a degree that he didn't even care that his lorry was fitted with both a dashcam and a cabcam.

He regularly used his phone in the smug knowledge he would not be caught or have an accident. Then back in January there he was driving for many miles texting, phoning, making face time calls and browsing the web when suddenly he ploughed into the back of a tractor and trailer on the A38.

The tractor driver was ejected from his cab and down the carriageway breaking his back amongst other serious injuries. Airlifted to hospital and lucky to have survived. The lorry driver eventually pleaded guilty to causing serious injury through dangerous driving and was sent to prison for 2 1/2 years.

Not long enough but the sentencing guidelines Judges work from are puny and Parliament need to get tougher. Let's just hope one of the other inmates kicks the crap out of him while he's in there. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #329124 14th Aug 2017 7:47 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Thought I'd resurrect this topic after walking the dog up the road today and deciding to casually record the Mondeo driver who had BOTH hands off the wheel and messing with his phone instead Evil or Very Mad

I didn't go for knocking on his window to challenge him because these days, the response would probably have been F Off before I get out of the car and stab you to death Rolling Eyes

&feature=youtu.be LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #355169 18th Aug 2018 1:30 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I’ve used hands free but as others I try to cut the call short and not make decisions while driving. New iPhone won’t even notify me of an incoming text while driving which is great.
Followed what I took to be a young person on a moped wearing a full face crash helmet trying to take a call on their mobile handset as they rode through Pensford on the way into Bristol one evening. Gave them plenty of room to have whatever accident they were aiming to have.

Post #355182 18th Aug 2018 7:37 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I use mine to make and receive calls but only on hands free and as I had voice control on my last FL2 (2013 HSE) and my current Ewok its 1 press of a button on the steering wheel then follow the voice commands.

I don't believe that TALKING on hands free is any more dangerous than talking to a passenger, in fact its less distracting as you are more likely to turn your head to talk to the passenger.

There are some modern cars that read out the text message to you and you can reply hands free with limited responses but of course our FL2 etc don't have that function.

Post #355320 21st Aug 2018 7:24 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

If you ever get a car that reads texts Rog , may I suggest that depending on the sense of humour of your friends you disable it. Our Scooby has such a facility . A musical tone plays and the centre touchscreen reads “ incoming message from .. etc “ if you touch the button on the wheel , the soothing voice of “ Jane - Female - UK English “ comes to life .

The problem occurs when your 88 year Aunt is in the passenger seat and Jane’s cultured voice announces
“ Hey up Censored - fancy a beer and a curry tonight ? “ , or some other such witicism . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Last edited by MartynB on 21st Aug 2018 9:17 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #355328 21st Aug 2018 9:12 am
RogB

Rolling with laughter

ive had a couple of insignias with the text to voice, but it just comes up on the dash screen between the speedo and rev counter ''message from XYZ, press ok to listen'' so there was no danger of embarrassing my 80 year old mother Thumbs Up

Post #355329 21st Aug 2018 9:15 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i use my mobile in the S4 to call and text, as its all done by speach and Apple Car Play

which read the text to me and a speak the reply, likewise for calls

but i keep a call brief and likewise text to simple replys

So i can get back to reading my book Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #355332 21st Aug 2018 10:13 am
T4

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

"...So i can get back to reading my book" Rolling with laughter

So often, when on the motorway, if I see a car less than steady between the lane markings it transpires the driver is doing something with his/her phone. It is so obviously dangerous, stupid, irresponsible that there can be no excuse.

Post #355352 21st Aug 2018 3:33 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I only use my phone via bluetooth and as many have said via voice control. However how many people will admit finishing a call that has lasted 5 of more minutes and wondered how the hell they got to where they did - the brain does switch off to some degree when talking on your phone - whether hands free or not!

I never use my phone for texting even in stationary traffic, PC Plod can do you as long as you have the engine running or as its technically known "in control of a vehicle", I wonder if it still applies if I jump in the back seat to send a text? Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #355386 22nd Aug 2018 8:09 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

RogB wrote:

I don't believe that TALKING on hands free is any more dangerous than talking to a passenger, in fact its less distracting as you are more likely to turn your head to talk to the passenger.

Not true, if the passenger can see that you have a hazard ahead they usually stop talking, someone on the phone can't see what you are having to deal with. I have had irate colleagues on the phone trying to get me to sort out some urgent (to them) problem or other whilst negotiating traffic. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #355388 22nd Aug 2018 8:50 am
RogB

if that's the case I just switch off to the phone call and ignore them while I concentrate on the driving matter in hand then go back to the caller.

however in the company I work for, all in vehicle calls are banned regardless of it being a company or private vehicle and regardless of hands free or not. If I call someone and it sounds like they are on hands free I have to tell them to call me back when they are stationary. Which is fair enough.

Post #355391 22nd Aug 2018 9:26 am
T4

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

shilen wrote:
... However how many people will admit finishing a call that has lasted 5 of more minutes and wondered how the hell they got to where they did ...

Guilty. More often if it is a technical problem where you have to generate a mental picture to consider the issues.

Post #355403 22nd Aug 2018 2:51 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Epic comeuppance here. One of those smug gits who thought he could challenge and win. Better luck next time dickhead and enjoy your fine. Laughing

https://twitter.com/derbyshirerpu/status/1059509491362881536?s=21 LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #360015 5th Nov 2018 6:29 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Meanwhile in the real world some little Censored who has burgled a dozen houses to get his drug money , laughed and walked out of court with 200 hours community service that he will never do .

Only in this country can we penalise people for more harshly for the possibility of what their actions may have caused but didn’t , Dixon of Dock Green would have never let it get that far.... 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #360019 5th Nov 2018 7:19 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Well punishments at court often vary and frustrate without a doubt but in my considerable real world experience, a drug addict burglar would not get let off with a community order for that ^

Hefty fines and punishments should be the way with mobile phone usage at the wheel in a bid to prevent real world consequences such as this:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyma...years.html LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #360020 5th Nov 2018 7:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>