Home > In Car Electronics > Issues with the Aux 35mm jack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dragore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Manual Zermatt Silver
Issues with the Aux 35mm jack

Hi all,

I have a problem playing music through the aux headphone socket in the centre onsole.

I have the alpine audio unit with sat nav and phone connection, Ive been frustrated by the lack of Bluetooth audio streaming since I got her in the end resorting to a MyJack Bluetooth Jack adaptor that sits in the headphone socket in the centre console and streams my music from my phone to the head unit and I have an Alpine EZdab that also uses this port. This has worked fine for the past 12 months however I have now noticed that there is a developing problem.

I have noticed a weird electrical buzzing sound when I remove the adaptor from the headphone socket to switch to the dab through the speakers and I have noticed a strange distorted sound coming from what seems to be only the drivers side speakers when playing music almost like its missing some of the bass, I also think that the sub is effected seeming quieter and 'woolyer' than normal. This only happens on the aux input as the radio and CD outputs are completely normal.

The aux audio socket was changed for a new LR unit when I bought her as the original one was damaged and was working fine until recently.

I was wondering if anybody has heard of anything similar or even could give me some pointers of what the possible problem could be as I only listen to music streamed through my phone or my Alpine EZdab.

I cannot be without music and the financial cost of changing the entire system is well beyond my negotiation skills with the misses even though I would love to change the whole lot to a real alpine system not a pretend LR setup.

I thank you big brained boovs in advance Bow down

Matt Thumbs Up If your going through hell, keep going!

Wrapper of rear pillars 😀

Post #355004 14th Aug 2018 9:16 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Sounds like a dodgy connection. Would be worth taking it apart (fiddly as hell but straight forward).

I had this and found I either lost one side of the audio or like you the bass was gone.

Turned out to be the socket was sitting maybe a mm too low under the cover with the hole for the jack to go into so it wasn't making full contact with each section of the jack.

I couldn't get a reliable connection so ended up leaving the aux socket disconnected from its mount and leaving it loose within the centre console which allowed me to tape the audio cable connected to my Bluetooth streamer tightly to it so it wouldn't move and kill the audio. Has been perfect ever since.

Not the prettiest option and I'm sure you'll come up with something better, but it cost nuffink Wink Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #355006 14th Aug 2018 9:30 pm
Dragore

Thank you for your reply Chuck

I had actually thought about this as I switch the headphone plugs between the bluetooth adaptor and the DAB however it does seem to be level or at least as level as my eyes say it is. I am still confused about the loud buzzing when nothing is plugged in?

I would be happy with your fix tbh if I didn't need to switch the input source as i could easily make the whole pretty. It does seem a stupid fragile port for LR to use and in a really vulnerable place too free to be hit by my little one or have stuff fall into it. If your going through hell, keep going!

Post #355007 14th Aug 2018 9:45 pm
Chuckalicious

Yeah the noise when nothing is plugged in is an odd one and could suggest that the socket itself is broken. They are super cheap and Dan one of the site sponsors can supply them. Might be worth grabbing one before you take it all apart.

Also, I bought a Pure Highway 600 which is a DAB receiver and Bluetooth streamer so I never need to unplug. Learned to drive in 2011.
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k

Post #355021 15th Aug 2018 6:52 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

I seem to remember that there was a TSB that covered this for the earlier models with Alpine Audio.
There’s a software update which solved the single speaker interference etc.
You’ll need to visit your dealer and see if this was carried out on the vehicle. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #355028 15th Aug 2018 9:51 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I also had this problem and my early MY Freelander, the jack connector in the centre console drops a little and the connection is then poor with the male 3.5mm jack. I had it replaced by LR but it still wasn't perfect.

Post #355032 15th Aug 2018 10:39 am
Dragore

Thanks for the help guys, I will pop to my local dealer tomorrow Stuartc to check the vin number for any software updates that are outstanding.

I might look at upgrading the factory 3.5mm jack to something a little more sturdy as this one is only 12 months old.

Thumbs Up If your going through hell, keep going!

Post #355057 15th Aug 2018 7:42 pm
Chuckalicious

Not sure how straight forward it would be to upgrade it. The input jack fits into another socket which has various pins and feeds going elsewhere in the console so I don't know how easy it'd be to retrofit something else onto it. Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #355063 15th Aug 2018 9:05 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Dragore wrote:
Thanks for the help guys, I will pop to my local dealer tomorrow Stuartc to check the vin number for any software updates that are outstanding.

Best of luck with the dealer! My local dealer claimed that software is set when it leaves the factory and cannot be updated! Clearly, they were simply not interested in having anything on-site that wasn’t brand-new! 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #355077 16th Aug 2018 5:20 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1