« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > family trip continued
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Aussie Battler

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
family trip continued

A bit of a delay in getting more of my family trip from my home town of Apsley to Perth via Darwin and a few places in between due to no or very limited mobile coverage . We are home now after 16000 ks 15500 of them with left hand rear strut blown and 1 slow leak in the same tyre on the last few days . The strut did not affect the ride or handling to much except that it was a bit noisy on corrugations and caused increased tyre wear especially on the rough dirt roads of which we traveled at least 2000 k . The dirt roads we traveled on varied from beef roads with little maintainance used by road trains carting cattle, station access roads , roads used by road trains carting ore that were so well maitained that 100kph was possible and othe roads that were somewere in between .
This is the start of Duncan Highway a beef road that originaly serviced cattle stations between Halls Creek and the port of whyndam ,this is the unsealed section about 440ks with no services and little maintaince road surface varies from gravel ,rocks,foot deep bull dust or dirt ,camped at along the way ,we camped for 2 days with no other campers ,also caught fish in the creek .Only saw 2 other vechicles and 2 road trains along the entire track

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #353309 14th Jul 2018 11:05 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

These back roads give the car a hammering. I ran the tyres at 25 PSI. My ARB gauge is actually 2 PSI higher than what the gauge says. All my digital gauges will show 27 PSI.

I also helped pump up a camper on a truck chassis to speed things up, their tyres run at 55 PSI, they had a calibrated professional gauge, but only a single compressor. A Good opportunity to check my gauges!

Looks like you have 17 inch rims instead of the poodle 18 inch rims I have. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #353313 14th Jul 2018 11:39 am
Aussie Battler

They are 17 inch with yokohama geolanders I run them at 40 psi and the camper at 32 the main reason for the wear was the blown strut as I kept rotating the tyres to keep the wear even although after a couple of hundred ks on the roads with rocks you cold see that the rats had been at all of them .

Post #353315 14th Jul 2018 11:54 am
Lightwater

I run 34 on the bitumen, so they are around 39 once up to temperature. Add about 1 PSI for the sunny side & about 1 PSI less for the shadow side. Running at 25 on the corrugated roads they heat up to about 29.

Agree, looks like rats eat the tyres! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #353316 14th Jul 2018 12:11 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Geez, 40psi on corrugations would kill the suspension with no cushioning help from the tyres. I run 32-34 on the tar and around 25 on gravel/corrugations. Never had a suspension issue in 303,000 kms on some of the roughest roads there are. A lot more comfortable too.

Post #353328 14th Jul 2018 2:12 pm
Lightwater

The National Park sign at the entrance of Purnululu says 'Reduce tyre pressure 10psi from normal highway pressure' The corrugations on the first 12 km are not the worst I've been on.

Click image to enlarge

Sorry for sideways photo. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #353330 14th Jul 2018 2:54 pm
Aussie Battler

Interesting comments on tyre pressures .most of the unsealed roads We traveled on were rough but not corrugated 'The reason I use the higher pressures is that many years ago We traveled to Cape York in a series 2a swb and found that the ride was pretty bad so I dropped the pressure from 40psi to 28-30 psi and the ride did not change but started to get punctures (4 in one day) so I inflated tyres back to 40, ride still bad but no punctures . I had only one spare several new tubes and a puncture kit .Got pretty good at removing and refitting tyres .
Doug

Post #353346 15th Jul 2018 5:14 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

There used to be a nice guy called Adam Plate who ran the Oodnadatta Roadhouse. On my first trip out there, I had to get a few tyres repaired and he gave me a sheet that he produced for travelers concerning the importance of tyre pressures. This is someone who has dealt with more wrecked tyres than can ever been contemplated. I've used his guidelines ever since and found them to be pretty spot on. Sadly, Adam was killed in a rally car accident near Adelaide a few years ago. Still, there are pros and cons for all cases, the important thing is you are out there having a good time and posting pictures for us to enjoy. Cheers.

Post #353360 15th Jul 2018 10:06 am
Lightwater

We have had 3 punctures, all from screws on our trip. The second 2 we caught early enough because we got TPMS after destroying the first tyre.

Click image to enlarge

It has been interesting seeing just how much the pressure changes around each corner. We had one cold morning of 4C & the pressure dropped from 25 to 23. It has not taken long to know how much air to put in each tyre to get them all the same when I know that they should be the same.

Still running on the original Conticrosscontacts that came with the car.

25 PSI on a rock.
Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #353364 15th Jul 2018 11:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1