« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Intgermittant alarm fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jagbuztman

United Kingdom 
Intgermittant alarm fault

Hi, have an alarm fault and wondered if anyone had had similar. Car can be left for days and then suddenly it goes off, have changed bonnet catch and sensor and thought Id cured it but a week later and off it went again.
Is there anyw ay I can lock it without alarming it?
Also Locking it by the key seems to stop it going off, am I right in thinking that by key it is only the doors that covered by the alarm and not the bonnet?
Im sure its not the volumetric as I believe thats switched off with one press of my fob ( according to my owners manual ) Anyway, thanks for any advice.
PS its a 2009 fl2

Post #352804 6th Jul 2018 6:38 am
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Just to be clear, do you mean it only goes off if the vehicle has been left for several days locked and unused? Or in normal use, you randomly get the alarm going off every few days?

If it is the first of these, I guess it may be related to the slow, progressive shutting down of systems and might be battery related (how old is the battery?). 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #352805 6th Jul 2018 7:04 am
jagbuztman

United Kingdom 

Well you raise a point there, Im inclined to say its when the vehicle has been left for a few days but its not something that Ive noticed specifically and i think it has gone off whilst in normal use but it definately has gone off after a few days without use. Would I pick it up on a battery test.

Post #352806 6th Jul 2018 7:28 am
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

I’m not sure how useful a battery test would be, but there seem to be a whole load of electrical glitches on these cars which are solved by a new battery (or a hard re-set on the computer systems). You don’t mention age of car, but there seems to be plenty that are still running on their original batteries at ten years old and showing power-related electrical gremlins, so a new battery is often a good starting point before more expensive investigations.

I’m sure others with more experience and knowledge will be awake shortly and able to respond! 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #352808 6th Jul 2018 7:46 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Worms may be on the money if your battery is an original. If fitting one yourself do a hard reset as well (connect the 2 leads for half an hour). FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #352809 6th Jul 2018 8:09 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

The perimeter alarm is always on when locked, but also the battery backed up alarm will sound if the battery power supply is interrupted (or possibly low?).

The bit from the manual---
The battery backed sounder (or battery backed sounder with tilt function) is located in the LH rear corner of the engine compartment and is attached to the fire shield. The sounder is only fitted in certain markets. On vehicles with a battery backed sounder, a tilt sensor can be incorporated which monitors the vehicle attitude. The CJB monitors the tilt sensor and can detect if the vehicle is being moved, towed or raised and activate the alarm. The type of battery backed sounder can be identified by a suffix change to the part number; sounders without a tilt sensor have the suffix 'A' and sounders with a tilt sensor have the suffix 'B'. Operation of the sounder is controlled by the CJB on a LIN bus. The sounder is also connected with a permanent battery supply via the CJB. An integral, rechargeable battery powers the sounder if the vehicle battery supply from the CJB is interrupted.

PS If you choose your car spec in your profile it will show automatically FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #352815 6th Jul 2018 8:57 am
jagbuztman

United Kingdom 

Firstly, thank you all for the replies, much apreciated. We have only had the motor for 3 weeks, Its the wifes car. We drove it back home the first day, a journey of 35 miles and the alarm sounded the next day, ( I'm grateful to the wife for this information, I couldnt recall it ) during those strong gales we had so I assumed it was that, then When she was out one day the warning message saying "bonnet open" appeared on the dash then went off again after she went over a bump. This led me to the thought that it was likely to be the bonnet sensor and or catch.
So I ordered a new bonnet catch from landrover, when she went to collect it they offered to fit it more or less there and then so she let them do it. All has been fine since then until yesterday.
Before replacing it, it had gone off several times in daytime after being left for a few days. So there appears to be no pattern to it, the battery seems fine.
When we lock it on the key it has so far not gone off, I did hear from someone who said that the bonnet was not alarmed when you use the key but Im not sure if that is correct.

As an aside I have the vehicle details in my profile but for some reason they are not showing up in my messages.
The car is a 2009 freel2 TD4 automatic diesel.

Post #352831 6th Jul 2018 12:04 pm
IanMetro

Your "My Freelander 2/LR2" profile bit is empty.
Click on my "IanMetro" profile button below and compare it with yours.

As far as I can gather the bonnet alarm is part of the normal perimeter alarm setting, which works by mainly looking for 'door ajar' signals from locks, even when after 28 days (approx.) all other power has been switched off, including 'key fob' receivers. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #352834 6th Jul 2018 12:22 pm
jagbuztman

United Kingdom 

Hi, I have a friend with a garage who will use his diagnistics kit to see if there is a code, apparantly the last 4 alarm codes are kept, so that should highlight the exact area. Sadly he is not local to me any more so I wont be going there until next thursday. Meantime I'll leave it locked on the key rather than the fob. So far the alarm hasnt gone off when its been locked with the key.
As for my profile, car details etc, when I go into my profile its all there yet when I place a message nothing shows up. Is it because I only joined two days ago possibly?
Should I fill in my car details in the signature section?

Once again, many thanks for all the replies, I am very grateful 2009 Freelander 2. TD4 Automatic

Post #352840 6th Jul 2018 2:02 pm
jagbuztman

United Kingdom 

Further update. I originally felt sure it was the bonnet catch/sensor, had landrover fit a new one, alarm went off 6 days later again, took the car out this mornng and the bonnet open warning message kept flashing and then off and then back again. Seems obvious, either landrover didnt fit it properly, It adjusts ups and down as yourll know or there is a fault in the connector or loom. Will go back to LR first, see what they have to say. Fingers crossed I think we are on it. More news when I have any. 2009 Freelander 2. TD4 Automatic

Post #352872 7th Jul 2018 10:06 am
jagbuztman

United Kingdom 

Major update!! Good friend of mine runs Spilsby garage in Spilsby, Lincolnshire. was doing routine service for me and couldnt reset the service light as the bonnet open warning message was displayed. Had a look at it and would you believe, Landrover/Jaguar in boston hadnt fitted the new bonnet catch/sensor properly! I ask you, main dealer!.. The male plug from the loom had not been fitted right to the extent that whoever did it had forced it so much it had pushed one of the pins backwards, the plug had gone on just enough to have taken the warning message off but was in effect just pushed up against the connections, so every movement of the vehicle, bumps or wind would break the connection.
He removed the sensor, pulled the pin out and hey presto, fitted properly and clicked into position. Impossible to imagine how their fitter had not realised it wasnt fitted properly. A real apprentice mistake.
Anyway, now fitted properly, I'm supremely confident. Car was booked in to l/rover to look at it, had to wait another week though ( meanwhile wife couldnt use the car as she couldnt lock it) So I rang to cancel and told them they hadnt fitted it properly and all I got was , "ok I'll cancel that then"
Not at all impressed really. Id only gone to them as they are just up the road and my friend is some 40 miles away now as we have moved recently.
So there it is, was a dodgy sensor originally and L/r bodged the replacement, what an ordeal.
So thanks for all the advice and replies, respect to you all. 2009 Freelander 2. TD4 Automatic

Post #353233 13th Jul 2018 6:16 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

What a malarkey that was but the result is good glad it's finally sorted.

Post #353240 13th Jul 2018 9:15 am
IanMetro

Thanks for posting your final fix.

It is a lesson to the rest of us, if in doubt, check the last thing changed on car. Then inspect wiring, connectors, power supply, earthing, etc.
And of course get a proper readout of diagostic codes.

I look forward to the time when list of last few diagnostic codes are read out on car infortainment systems, it should be possible.
It would help save having to be charged by garage to learn what is wrong. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #353242 13th Jul 2018 9:56 am
jagbuztman

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys, your right about the fault codes though, absolutely no reason why thay shouldnt come up on the cars dash, other than to force you pay to find out. 2009 Freelander 2. TD4 Automatic

Post #353254 13th Jul 2018 12:10 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Disappointing to see the Boston dealer had not lived up to the good name Duckworths have on this forum. Sooo glad I use the (original) Market Rasen branch..... Whistle

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #353257 13th Jul 2018 1:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1