Home > Technical > P245A after EGR cooler change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
inaftanaila

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
P245A after EGR cooler change

Hi all, kindly asking for some guidance Smile

EGR cooler was leaking (diagnosed by LR). Took the car to an indie garage (owner is a friend) who installed an OEM replacement (not the original LR part). Error in the thread title (P245A) pops out from while to while. I can delete it myself - which I do as it annoys me - it will pop up again in a few days.

The error reads "EGR Cooler Bypass Control Circuit/Open Bank 1".

My understanding after googling a little is that there should be a little valve somewhere closing the EGR Cooler when an active DPF regeneration occurs, in order to protect the EGR from high-temperature gases (and possibly to avoid inadvertently cooling these gases).

Indie garage now scratch their heads, mumbling something about the EGR being defective. I don't buy that.

Looked up on the forum for this error and can't find much.

Does anyone know the possible cause? I seem to remember having read here somewhere that there are two versions of the cooler, no-DPF-fitted and DPF-fitted (i.e. pre-MY2011 and post-MY2011). Car is MY2011, DPF fitted.
Could the error be triggered by the wrong part being installed? Something else?

Second question: I need to drive the car for 5-600 km in the next few days. It currently drives absolutely normally, even with the warning light on. Big risk if I do that?

Thanks a lot for any thoughts! MY2011, TD4 Auto, Xenon headlights, fog lamps DRLs, sunroof, tinted windows, almond electric seats w/ lumbar support, leather steering wheel w/ audio controls, dog/luggage guard, ambient lights, flush Whispbars, Mantec sump&tank guards, Xtrons Head Unit

Post #346558 5th Apr 2018 7:50 am
alex_pescaru

Yes, indeed there are 2 different types of EGR cooler.

One is the LR022354, older, simpler and the new one LR057662, probably the one you have, with a vacuum capsule on its top, for closing the gas flow during DPF regeneration at the entry point of the cooler.

Probably the guys that changed the cooler put the old one and left the valve electrical connector unconnected, in air - therefore the error.
Or maybe they've changed with the correct one, but the connector is not very well inserted.

Bellow the pictures of the two.

LR022354

Click image to enlarge

LR057662

Post #347220 11th Apr 2018 9:33 pm
inaftanaila

Thank you, Alex, this helps tremendously, as always! I'll report back here once the issue fixed to let people know how it went. MY2011, TD4 Auto, Xenon headlights, fog lamps DRLs, sunroof, tinted windows, almond electric seats w/ lumbar support, leather steering wheel w/ audio controls, dog/luggage guard, ambient lights, flush Whispbars, Mantec sump&tank guards, Xtrons Head Unit

Post #347234 12th Apr 2018 6:44 am
V8Lightweight

United Kingdom 

Having the same problem after an egr replacement. But mine is a 10MY so shouldn't have a DPF as far as I know.

Were you able to resolve the issue. And if so what fixed it?

Thank you

Post #353147 11th Jul 2018 5:27 pm
inaftanaila

Hi V8Lightweight. Sorry for not reporting back here as promised. In my case the EGR valve cooler was apparently replaced by the indie with a correct part. The other path investigated, both by the indie, who did not have the right tools, but indicated it as a possible cause, and LR, was a recalibration of the cooler valve. That did not work, so eventually LR changed the cooler valve altogether. No issues since! It wasn't a big job either - some 70 GBP roughly, part and labour - though prices may differ where you're located.
So a recalibration might help, but it can only be done by a dealer, apparently. Otherwise the part might need replacing.
Hope this helps! MY2011, TD4 Auto, Xenon headlights, fog lamps DRLs, sunroof, tinted windows, almond electric seats w/ lumbar support, leather steering wheel w/ audio controls, dog/luggage guard, ambient lights, flush Whispbars, Mantec sump&tank guards, Xtrons Head Unit

Post #353159 11th Jul 2018 7:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1