« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Front Windscreen Wipers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Kickin 70

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White
Front Windscreen Wipers

Still enjoying my Freebie 2 but had some of the icing licked off recently. Just before going on holiday my front wipers stopped working. checked the fuse, got Greenflag in who checked the relay but in fairness he did not have the exact Land Rover replacement - could not find the fault. So visited our new palatial Land Rover dealer. They said I would have to book it in (approx. 7 - 10 days wait !) and the diagnostics check would be £180, then of course there would be the parts and labour for repair on top. Oh Joy!! Left the Freebie in the Garage and went away. Got back and booked it into another local garage where I have it serviced and after 3 days checking, ordering new control stalk, then new motor, then new relay they gave up and said Land Rover would have to use their techie stuff to find fault (Land Rover took back all the parts ordered and the garage only charged labour - £129.43. Big Cry Have now booked it in with the palace -Friday 13th - and await with trepidation the outcome. Anyone else had problems with their front wipers who could give a clue ??

Last edited by Kickin 70 on 5th Jul 2018 9:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #352799 5th Jul 2018 8:29 pm
Deano64

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Not yet!!!😕😕

Post #352800 5th Jul 2018 9:02 pm
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

That sucks... not much more they can replace is there?!

180quid for a check Shocked and I thought NZ prices were up there.

Post #352801 5th Jul 2018 9:15 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

And this is why I will only own one of these cars if it's on extended warranty. Same for any modern car unfortunately, they are getting too complex for normal fault finding techniques. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #352819 6th Jul 2018 8:36 am
DigDil

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

It might be worth double checking the fuses and the relays. Looking that circuit layout it looks to me like;

Fuse FE18 and FE22
Relay Wiper Fast-slow RE8
Relay Wiper On-off RE11

I'm no expert so I could be wrong on this!. One or the other of the fuses could be in the fuse box in the passenger foot well.

Post #352829 6th Jul 2018 11:00 am
Kickin 70

Yes, thanks guys. My mind goes back (as it does so frequently these days!) to a time when you could actually work the wipers from a little lever on the inside of the motor. The "washers" consisted of a Fairy Liquid bottle filled with water which was applied by winding down the window and squirting it onto the relevant area. I know, I know, things have changed and are much better these days, I shouldn't keep looking back, but £180 plus . . . ?? If only they can get the wipers working . . . I wonder if my wife has finished with that dish washing bottle yet? . . . . Just in case, of course!

Post #352830 6th Jul 2018 11:02 am
Kickin 70

DigDil, Just read your suggestion. I am not much of a techie but when the heat of the day subsides I'll see if I can trace those areas and give them a look. I'll get back to you later. Many thanks.

Post #352832 6th Jul 2018 11:05 am
dorsetfreelander

Many years ago some friends of mine drove back from Switzerland with broken wipers. They got a long length of string and tied it around the wipers and had someone on the back seat pulling as required. Those were the days. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #352837 6th Jul 2018 11:51 am
aesmith

dorsetfreelander wrote:
And this is why I will only own one of these cars if it's on extended warranty. Same for any modern car unfortunately, they are getting too complex for normal fault finding techniques.

This something that Land Rover should really be concerned about. Although reliability and maintenance outside the warranty period doesn't affect them directly, it will ultimately start to affect resale prices. And who would buy a new Land Rover if it's valueless after three years? ----------
Tony S

Post #352912 8th Jul 2018 9:38 am
Kickin 70

DigDil wrote:
It might be worth double checking the fuses and the relays. Looking that circuit layout it looks to me like;

Fuse FE18 and FE22
Relay Wiper Fast-slow RE8
Relay Wiper On-off RE11

I'm no expert so I could be wrong on this!. One or the other of the fuses could be in the fuse box in the passenger foot well.

Digdil, sorry to have been so long in getting back regarding your suggestions, the heat, the Mrs, life in general, you know the usual stuff gets in the way. Anyway, have now checked out those points and (bearing in mind you are dealing with a "Luddite") here's what I found.
Firstly, In the manual and also on the fuse markings as shown on the covers I could not find any with the prefix "FE" or "RE". Mine are simply "F" or "R". Putting that aside and relating where I could to those numbers: F18 is an empty socket. F22 is indeed the 30A wiper fuse which has been checked and is OK. The wiper relay R11 is OK. Could not find RE8. The R8 is Engine Management relay.
I reiterate I am no techie so it is quite possible I have missed or not located the fuses / relays you mention but from scanning the manual and relating that to the actual fuses it does not appear to be any of those.
My sincere thanks for taking the trouble to look up those details. It looks like I'm still heading to Land Rover Palace for their analysis machine to do it's stuff.

Post #353133 11th Jul 2018 3:06 pm
Kickin 70

Just to finish this link. It takes six foolscap pages to relate the story and two letters of complaint to the Chief Executive of Lookers Land Rover, Colchester, and over eight days which they had my car, for them to finally identify a faulty relay which costs £5. For which they initially wanted to charge £508-37p -which I refused to pay and after consultation with "management" it was reduced to £256-00p. I cannot put into words what my opinion of LOOKERS is - there are no words which adequately describe the incompetence, indifference and just downright bad service provided by this garage. Big Cry However the wipers now work and I'm off to France in a few days to try to forget the whole incident Thumbs Up

Post #356011 31st Aug 2018 8:20 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Many years ago some friends of mine drove back from Switzerland with broken wipers. They got a long length of string and tied it around the wipers and had someone on the back seat pulling as required. Those were the days.

This happened to me years ago on a Mitsubishi company car, we could only drive about 10 metres because we were laughing so much due to the Situation. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #356015 31st Aug 2018 11:16 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Series I and II landrovers had the simple approach of a lucas wiper motor bolted to the screen rail with a switch directly attached to the motor. Simple technology! Bow down Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #356025 1st Sep 2018 8:31 am
dorsetfreelander

Does anyone remember the 1960's Ford Popular where the wipers were run using the vacuum developed in the inlet manifold? The problem was that they worked fine at tickover but when you put your foot down to overtake the wipers slowed to a crawl as the throttle butterfly opened. Laughing 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #356033 1st Sep 2018 9:19 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Overtake! was it a milk float? yes long hills and heavy rain Shocked
Laughing Laughing DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid