Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Freelander 2 SD4 REALLY BAD MPG
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

No motorways around here, country lanes and a lot of hill driving (live at 1500ft, work at sea level). Not really caring about the fuel I'm seeing 28mpg. This tank driving like a granny on purpose, just to see what i can get and currently on 32mpg and still a 1/4 tank to go. I'd be pretty annoyed at low 20's as well.

I've been looking at the Bluespark, but also the Synergy box as well. Prices of the Bluespark CR Tech 2 and the Synergy 3 are about the same price, but the Synergy also connects to the MAP sensor...

ERG Blanking Plate is easy to install yourself. 5-10mins and a 10mm rachett and you're good to go - although i will be taking off at some point and putting a dab of liquid gasket on before refitting as getting a bit of leakage there. Should be everything you need in this thread: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic25768.htm...king+plate

When was last service, filters etc? Might be worth some diesel additive/cleaner for a few tanks to see if makes a difference?

Post #352173 25th Jun 2018 7:44 pm
FlyingOwl

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Fuji White

Hi Grue
I have gone for the £80 bluespark chip which is version 1 I think, thank you very much for the link will be checking that out in regards to the blanking plate, service was done a few hundred miles ago but only oil, so am thinking I should get a full service done as it's been 20k miles since last filter change,

Post #352176 25th Jun 2018 8:05 pm
Grue

Air filter is a drop in, and fuel filter is pretty straight forward if you're that way inclined and do plenty of reading up on the subject first... saves $ and feels pretty damn good after Smile Duckworth Parts in the Sponsors section on here are supposed to be good for getting service parts from (I'm not in UK so never used them). I'm assuming your oil filter was done with the oil!

Post #352177 25th Jun 2018 8:12 pm
FlyingOwl

Hi yes I have a ducksworth near me I think I will be letting them do the service, in the link you provided someone states not doing the blanking plate on the post face lift, what year is your car
Regards

Post #352178 25th Jun 2018 8:19 pm
Grue

Yeah, there's some grey area there, but a few posts from people saying they've done it fine with later models with no worries. I've got an early model, so didn't have to worry... but for the sake of a couple of pounds I think i'd probably try it. If you get issues you could drill a hole in the middle to use it as a restrictor, or simply remove.

< (You can hover your cursor over the car icon by someone's name and it'll tell you their year/model)

Post #352179 25th Jun 2018 8:27 pm
FlyingOwl

Thank for all the help and advise Grue , yes may as well try it out like you say, this forum is brilliant for help and guidance of others .
Thank you everyone for your time and responses

Post #352182 25th Jun 2018 9:12 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Just took note of mine this afternoon on way home from work, 44 miles of fast A roads, dual carriageway, motorway and B roads. No significant traffic - both front windows fully open, ac off - 37 mpg, Thumbs Up Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #352246 26th Jun 2018 5:05 pm
FlyingOwl

Thank you for taking the time to reply , that's good to hear, my problem is I do short drives and the odd hour drive weekly , but I suppose you cannot have everything, I love the car just not the mpg . Mr. Green

Post #352248 26th Jun 2018 5:18 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I guess its all relative, Im doing 1600 miles a month, using plenty of diesel too even though my average mpg is higher! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #352249 26th Jun 2018 5:25 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

FlyingOwl : I think there is something not right with your car.
Considering Lincolnshire is pretty flat your MPG is awful IMO.

As an example : Ive just had a holiday in Norfolk - driving from West Midlands - car loaded with 4 people + 2 dogs - and doing daily short trips to the coast from the holiday cottage.
On a daily basis; worst was 32mpg , best was 37mpg.

Also when my wife used the car for her 9 miles cross country commute to work (with 14 junctions) she managed 32mpg despite using the accelerator like an On-Off switch. Jules

Post #352258 26th Jun 2018 6:33 pm
FlyingOwl

Hi Jules
When I got the car it was on 34mpg, which sounds ok, it's only after I have done a reset really and been doing short trips, so I would presume if there was a problem with it guzzling then it would not be at 34mpg when I got her .
Thanks for your reply .

Post #352391 28th Jun 2018 1:01 pm
jones65

United Kingdom 

hi i live in lincolnshire and have a td4 hse 2008 i only get around 25 around town and 38/40 on a run i was surprised about how heavy it was on fuel after the first week and i have a blanking plait and a chip on it been regularly serviced last one was a full one in jan

Post #352392 28th Jun 2018 1:17 pm
Iguana

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Bali Blue

Just driven from Taunton to Bristol (Through the centre), then back to Weston, around 60 miles and achieved 37 MPG on the computer (1st fill so no spreadsheet calcs yet)

Post #352395 28th Jun 2018 1:49 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

FlyingOwl wrote:
Hi Jules
When I got the car it was on 34mpg, which sounds ok, it's only after I have done a reset really and been doing short trips, so I would presume if there was a problem with it guzzling then it would not be at 34mpg when I got her .
Thanks for your reply .

Hi , How short are your trips ?

I see what you are saying about the mpg at purchase , but when was it reset before the 34 mpg ? Just before it was coasted downhill maybe?
I say that because my BMW said 45mpg when i got it and I never got over 38mpg in 6 years.
By the way went to the tip yesterday pulling a large single axle Ifor Williams trailer - 8 mile round trip, hills/ junctions, speed 25-45mph. Started with a cold engine and got 29mpg. So to get 22mpg I think is unusual.

But perhaps its just me. We have to do very little town driving round here and if there are more than 2 cars in front of me a junction then I must be in a rush hour traffic jam Very Happy . Jules

Post #352417 28th Jun 2018 9:12 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

From the MOT inspection manual

8.2 Exhaust emissions
8.2.1 Spark ignition engine emissions
8.2.1.1 Exhaust emission control equipment
This inspection is only for vehicles that must have a full catalyst emissions test (disregarding the basic emissions test). You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, and exhaust gas recirculation valves.

Defect Category
Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer: missing, obviously modified or obviously defective.
Major

An induction or exhaust leak that could affect emissions levels.
Major

And for Diesels

8.2.2 Compression ignition engine emissions
8.2.2.1 Exhaust emission control equipment
You only need to check components that are visible and identifiable, such as diesel oxidation catalysts, diesel particulate filters, exhaust gas recirculation valves and selective catalytic reduction valves.

If a diesel particulate filter has clearly been cut open and rewelded, you should reject it unless the vehicle presenter can show evidence that there was a valid reason to cut it open, such as for filter cleaning.

Defect Category
Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer missing, obviously modified or obviously defective
Major
An induction or exhaust leak that could affect emissions levels
Major
Evidence that the diesel particulate filter has been tampered with
Major

Defect Category
Smoke opacity levels exceed the manufacturer’s specified limit.
Major
Smoke opacity levels exceed default limit
Major
Exhaust emits excessive smoke or vapour of any colour to an extent likely to obscure the vision of other road users
Dangerous
Exhaust on a vehicle fitted with a diesel particulate filter emits visible smoke of any colour
Major

Emissions test unable to be completed
Major
Emissions test aborted because smoke levels are significantly in excess of the specified limit values
Major
Engine MIL inoperative or indicating a malfunction
Major

The fines now for DPF having been removed and EGRs bypassed are huge and road side checks are appearing !!

asked the DVSA for their response to fitting an EGR blanking valve and they said : "DVSA's priority is to help you keep your vehicle safe to drive, ensuring that it meets required roadworthiness and environmental standards. Vehicles may fail the MoT where emissions control equipment has been tampered with but irrespective of the MoT such modification is an offence*. DVSA continues to work with DfT to persue such offences, including taking disciplinary action against any MoT garages found to be conducting modifications."

* Road vehicles (construction and use) regulations (Regulation 61a(3)). Removal of an EGR valve, diesel particulate filter etc. will almost invariably contravene these requirements, making the vehicle illegal for road use. The potential penalties for failing to comply with Regulation 61a are fines of upto £1000 for a car or £2500 for a light goods vehicle. Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #352493 30th Jun 2018 12:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>