« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > I Love My Landy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
I Love My Landy

So, a few days ago, we had torrential rain over night.

The result was a pretty substantial flood on the road by our house. General chat on our local community Facebook page said to avoid at all costs as people were wrecking their cars.

As it's the only route to get my kids to school without adding many miles onto the journey I decided to go and take a look.

Hefty queue of cars with every second or so car turning and going back. The odd 4x4 got through ok and I noted the depth on their cars as they went through.

I couldn't believe the lack of understanding by some drivers though. Some drivers were trying to speed through, only to put the hazards on a few meters out the other side. Some drove too slowly and did the same. Others tried to get through the water while another car was doing the same coming the other way, making a bow wave that went over the bonnet of some cars.

And then some fanny did a U turn right in front of the flood water while someone was coming the other way, forcing them to stop in the water. They didn't get going again.

My turn came and the FL2 just carried on as if nothing had happened. There were cars scattered further up the road, all likely having written off their cars as a new engine will have cost more than the car.

Just stuns me how many people don't seem to know the basics of safe driving through flood water. We live in Scotland. It rains ALL THE FECKING TIME.

I gave the FL2 a wee pat on the bonnet when I got the kids to school Smile Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental

Post #352342 27th Jun 2018 9:15 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

A handy tip that I was given on the LR experience course was for judging the depth of the water as you go through it.

They said stop and set your mirrors to look at the back wheels. Then get out and judge how far up the wheels the recommended wading depth comes. Then use this to judge how deep you are in the water as you proceed.
He said also not to panic (and try to turn) if it gets too deep, as you can always reverse out the way you came in.

This advice obviously does not cover missing manhole covers or similar sudden dips (or obstructions). FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #352347 27th Jun 2018 9:40 pm
Chuckalicious

Another tip I was given was to turn off stop/start because if for any reason you have to stop and the start/stop kicks in, your exhaust is in trouble.

That came from an LR experience day too. Learned to drive in 2011.
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k

Post #352349 27th Jun 2018 9:42 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

from a thread on here a long time ago the wading depth is in line with the upper lip on the lower door trims (unless you have a HST/Sport/Dynamic with the different door trims)

Post #352364 28th Jun 2018 8:35 am
Chuckalicious

Yup, that's what I was basing it on. It isn't a huge amount I have to say! Learned to drive in 2011.

Post #352367 28th Jun 2018 8:57 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

500mm isn't it for the FL2 ?

However in general terms as long as the bow wave is kept below the wing air intake on the UK Passenger side then you 'should' be ok.

I once went through a deep flooded junction in my first FL1 auto, id forgotten to go into manual mode on the gears and keep it in 1st/2nd so as I went through in auto the gearbox started to struggle and almost stall... I would have been a laughing stock if that had happened Whistle Laughing

Post #352374 28th Jun 2018 9:30 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1