« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > New Vehicles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

sounds like my attempt to be accepted in the discovery sport forum Laughing

I see now the moderator is saying that a volvo could have performed an autonomous braking operation better than the disco sport mentioned that saved a few lives auto braking from 80 km. Rolling Eyes

meanwhile I logged in to post this. dont buy a car, build your own, only smaller

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/custom...ica-review At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #350343 28th May 2018 10:29 am
Mowog

Past master wrote:
If you were applying for leave to remain, that would be quite enough to get you deported and to have your passport stamped as "undesirable", making it pretty much impossible to work anywhere else either. See https://qz.com/1275866/the-british-governm...-migrants/
Don't know if this would apply if you tried to settle outside Yorkshire... Whistle

Bardsey Island it is then Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Arrow

Post #350348 28th May 2018 12:23 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
sounds like my attempt to be accepted in the discovery sport forum Laughing

At last they have a proper reason to ban you!

My father would have loved the mini-Series article. One of his jobs after the war was to visit a giant dump of military vehicles and salvage enough gearbox parts to convert his factory from belt drive to shaft drive. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #350352 28th May 2018 1:34 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
meanwhile I logged in to post this. dont buy a car, build your own, only smaller

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/custom...ica-review

Forwarded this to my uncle, who is a retired engineer. His reminiscence:

We had a member in TSME who made a couple of Porsche engines. I forget how many years it took him. One was a 1/4 scale flat 4 and the other a 1/5 scale flat 12 with twin exhaust turbo chargers. I believe he only ran them once - the 12 went to 22,000 rpm - and then they went into display cases. Even Porsche were impressed and wrote them up.
(TSME - Toronto Society of Model Engineers) Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #350423 29th May 2018 4:27 pm
Mowog

Impressive commitment and dedication Thumbs Up

Post #350425 29th May 2018 5:01 pm
aesmith

The PCP prices that I've seen don't seem to quite work out if you have the purchase price available, comparing finance costs vs savings interest. If you don't have the cash they're probably a cost effective way of getting it. Rough calculation based on a Discovery Sport suggests a finance cost of around £3,300 over the three years, compared to bank interest of somewhere below £1200 depending on your bank.

What do you get with PCP that you wouldn't get with the normal new vehicle warranty? Does the PCP cover servicing costs, and/or tyres? ----------
Tony S

Post #351684 18th Jun 2018 1:17 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

No, you don't but you do get:

1. A guaranteed valuation on your vehicle at the end of the initial term.

2. A lower level of interest than many people would get on an unsecured loan of this size (forget the "representative" rates that are published by many lenders, they are usually only available to the highest credit scores AND for comparatively little credit exposure).

3. In the case of Land Rover, useful cash subsidies (over and above those available to cash purchasers) to enter into an agreement.

4. A lot of protection from the finance company if the car turns out to be a bad apple.

Post #351686 18th Jun 2018 1:42 pm
aesmith

Thinking it over again, I can't see how the figures stack up without some big assumptions somewhere. For example a Discovery Sport would cost me £21,500 over three years, with nothing to show for it if I handed the car back. However that's presented with something like a £12,000 final value , whereas online price guides suggest a three year old DS should be worth at least 18K as a trade in. Are they deliberately setting those final values low to get a better return on the finance, and banking on customers not having the 12K to buy them out at the end?

Taking it a face value it looks an expensive way to buy a car, that example being over 7K per year just for depreciation. Doesn't compare well with our FL2 even if it's worth nothing at 10 years old. ----------
Tony S

Post #351932 21st Jun 2018 2:02 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

A friend has bought on pcp for a long time, what he does as the guaranteed value of the car is so low he pays the final sum & sells the car private. Then starts a new pcp. I always buy a car that is around 12 months old as it would break my heart knowing once you drive out of the garage with your brand new car you loose around £5k+ straight away ( leave somebody else pay the VAT) I say

Post #351934 21st Jun 2018 2:10 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

aesmith wrote:
Taking it a face value it looks an expensive way to buy a car, that example being over 7K per year just for depreciation. Doesn't compare well with our FL2 even if it's worth nothing at 10 years old.

I was robbed!
My DS hire purchase is costing me 8.5k a year, for 5 years, with 3k down --- and that was 12 months old with 7k miles on the clock.
Lets be serious for a minute, I hope to be keeping the car for 8-10 years, so I will be paying nothing apart from service etc for the last 3-5 years. Depreciation means little, as at the end of the finance the car will have done 150k+miles and be worth virtually nothing. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #351941 21st Jun 2018 4:59 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Jack frost wrote:
A friend has bought on pcp for a long time, what he does as the guaranteed value of the car is so low he pays the final sum & sells the car private. Then starts a new pcp. I always buy a car that is around 12 months old as it would break my heart knowing once you drive out of the garage with your brand new car you loose around £5k+ straight away ( leave somebody else pay the VAT) I say

It is unusual for any manufacturer to set a low guaranteed future value as this will only increase the monthly payments and make the deal less appealing. However, it does protect the customer in that there is a good chance of having some reasonable equity in the car at the end, or the customer can still purchase the car for usefully less than it’s value (which could make refinancing the balance a lot easier) and it protects the finance company a there is a much more favourable loan to asset value should things go wrong.

Irresponsible is inflating the future value unrealtically and coming up with an artificially low monthly payment.

PS: The initial loss has nothing to do with “loosing the VAT”, this is purely a line in the trade to offload the blame for the enevitable heavy initial depreciation on the universally accepted bogey man, the Inland Revenue! Rolling Eyes

Post #352006 22nd Jun 2018 5:55 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I was watching a TV programme about Warren Buffet who is the third richest guy in the world with a net worth of over $80Bn and runs the Berkshire Hathaway investment fund. He is over 80 and his daughter was saying that she has to hassle him every few years to change his vehicle and he only ever drives a pickup truck and insists on buying one that's had a rear end collision as it's cheaper. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #352035 23rd Jun 2018 9:48 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Laughing

Post #352038 23rd Jun 2018 9:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345