Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Wood Pellet Fired Central Heating Boilers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
athelstan

Wood Pellet Fired Central Heating Boilers

Has any professional Central Heating Engineer on here installed a wood pellet fired central heating system Question

I live in Switzerland where everything including a cup of tea costs an absolute fortune. We are in the process of making an offer on a holiday house higher up in the mountains from where we already live as a second home where friends and family can just escape to to chill-out. We need to do renovation work as it is nearly 300yrs old and has had a varied life from mountain creamery converting local famers milk into cheese and butter - kit still in cellar. Then into the village school. Then split into appartments across the two top floors, then into a ramshakled single dwelling. In the cellar are the old oil tank connected to an oil fired C/H boiler.

If we buy it we intend to install an OkoFEN Smart XS 16Kw wood pellet boiler to drive the C/H and install the pellet storage tank in one of the cellars once all four cellar rooms are damp proofed.

So I am wondering if anyone on here has expertise in domestic wood pellet fired C/H installations Question
Anyone with trade contacts with OkoFEN UK to get a price comparison on the kit that I can spec. It will be interesting to do price comparisions with local Swiss supplier's highly inflated offer.

What's in it for you. Well potentially money and free Swiss holiday for yourself and family Thumbs Up

PM me to explore more. But only if you are a well respected heating engineer and can supply verifiable references on the quality of your work. Thumbs Up

Post #351772 19th Jun 2018 5:18 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Non domestic but I have 5 p&h commercial pellet boilers.Very simple things really, good look with the build. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #351780 19th Jun 2018 7:25 pm
athelstan

Hi CG.
I remember you switching to wood pellet fired heating for your chicken rearing barns.

Sadly even in Switzerland there is a dearth of expertise re wood pellet C/H with solar and ground or air thermo boilers more popular. So there are only a few companies spread across CH that are authorised installers for the OkoFEN product lne. Hence they leverage their regional monopoly. So I'd like to get an insight into the prices offered by OkoFen UK for exactly the same product.

With have air thermo boiler in our primary home (already installed when purchased) but it becomes less efficient with every 1°C drop below zero in winter. We live at 2,100ft above sea level and experience for 5 months of the year winter temps that average minus 9°C throughout those months. The lowest we had was minus 28°C. Despite that it is better than burning LPG or electric. We have no mains gas.

The proposed holiday retreat stands even higher at 3,410ft above sea level and so our best eco option is wood pellet fired condensing boiler C/H backed by a wood log burning stove in the lounge for ambience on those snowy winter day/nights. Throughout the other 3 seasons the Okofen Smart XS has a solar DHW embedden unit to provide hot water without the boiler burning wood pellets.

Hopefully someone on the site will have experience of the OkoFen product range, or, know of someone. I am very happy to pay to tap into their expertise and knowledge base.

Post #351784 19th Jun 2018 8:05 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Might be worth signing up to this site www.diynot.com as there are plenty of heating experts on there in the plumbing and central heating section of the forums.

Oh, and I’ll have the last week in August and the first in September thanks. Laughing Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #351827 20th Jun 2018 8:58 am
athelstan

Hi Steve
Last week August first week September would be perfect timing (or any other weeks) - if only you were an expert in the subject matter Wink

However, many thanks for the web link. I will certainly follow that up Thumbs Up

Post #351848 20th Jun 2018 12:08 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Id get a "designer ' pellet boiler and have it in living area, saves having two fires . Pellets can easily be transported pneumatically. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #351857 20th Jun 2018 1:38 pm
athelstan

CG the pellets are automatically vacuum feed from the cellar into the XS's hopper and with up to max 6 tonne capacity pellet tank it will only require once a year delivery. Plus the ash hopper will only require one or two manual empties a year.

Her ladyship insists on a log burner in the lounge - her eldest brother has a pellet stand alone stove in his lounge and it makes a racket every time it empties a tea cup of pellets onto the burning tray. She does not like that at all so she will get her way.

Post #351863 20th Jun 2018 2:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1