Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Replace Freelander 2 with what??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
aesmith

Replace Freelander 2 with what??

Hi,

Our FL is a 2008 model, owned from new. It's now reaching the stage where we're thinking about replacement. But with what? There doesn't seem to be an obvious successor if you want a practical 4x4 capable of reasonable comfort on long journeys, and with reasonable off road capability.

So for others in this situation, just wonder what your plans were. Land Rover options seem to be (a) younger Freelander, (b) Discovery Sport which is presumable what LR would expect us to go for, or (c) Evoque.

I get the impression that (b) and (c) are going to differ from the FL2 primarily in gadgets and maybe on-road refinement, with off road capability pretty much the same. Does that sound correct?

Thanks, Tony S ----------
Tony S

Post #351675 18th Jun 2018 9:26 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

The Evoque is certainly smaller inside with a smaller boot, its still room enough for 4 6' tall adults and some luggage but not as spacious as the FL2. Its also a firmer ride with a very different seating position but I found it be the best all rounder for my lifestyle... Unfortunately I was forced to change it and going 'back' to a FL2 was the only obvious choice for me.

Post #351676 18th Jun 2018 9:37 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Given that I own both the cars below my signature line I’m in a unique position to say that after 26,000 miles in a Subaru Outback , I’d recommend it to anyone . They have stopped producing the Diesel engine , although Subaru dealers say they secured stock to the end of the year . In the 26000 miles I haven’t had a single warranty problem . The symmetrical full time 4x4 system is great , tyres last for a very long time . I’m forecasting around 36000 on this set . The lineartronic autobox makes the Freelander system feel dated . For off road performance it will do all I need , a couple of weeks ago I had it off road in uncut meadows driving down to the River Eden , no problem at all , it has the same ground clearance as the FL2 but approach and departure angles are not as good . Having said that Its never been a disadvantage as I operate on the principle that I’m not going to trash an expensive asset . If you do fancy a look at one a 16 model year 2.0 Diesel lineartronic has all the bells, whistles , sunroof, self braking , leather etc etc.

On the LR side , I think the prices being asked for late model Freelanders are stupid , they don’t represent the true worth of the vehicle more an opportunity to exploit change resistance and brand loyalty . We have a friend with a 16 plate Disco Sport Diesel auto , it gets a proper work out on their farm and seems to be a very nice capable vehicle, but it was £40,000 plus . I passed on buying one as I didn’t want 7 seats, I wanted more boot room and a full size spare wheel as A back up in case I damage a side wall off the beaten track. . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #351678 18th Jun 2018 9:51 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

After trying several different FL2 sized models from other makers, I chose to look for the youngest, best equipped FL2 to replace my original MY2011 FL2.

No other car had the high comfortable driving position of the FL2, or the feeling of capability. My FL2 is mainly used on the local roads and motorways. It is indeed very suited to motorway use as it cruises all day at 70mph, and I can spot a blocked lane (or lorry race) about a mile away and move to avoid it.

If you want an alternative, different approach to SUV life, try the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. As that car ages, Mitsubishi are listening to their customers and making it better year by year. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #351689 18th Jun 2018 1:02 pm
aesmith

Quote:
If you want an alternative, different approach to SUV life, try the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. As that car ages, Mitsubishi are listening to their customers and making it better year by year.

That's an interesting idea, shame the electric range is so short. ----------
Tony S

Post #351690 18th Jun 2018 1:08 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

To be honest a newer FL2 will surprise you with the amount of gadgets over even a 2008 HSE, but the three are very different cars.

The newer FL2 you will be familiar with, nice driving position, with a reasonable boot, newer should get better fuel economy, but remember they all have the frontal area of a barn door and weigh a lot more than most estate cars.

The Ewok - I'm probably the last person to ask as mine was a lemon, but, avoid the pure/pure-tech, so few toys (no height adjustable passenger seat!, no fog lights!), that it will leave you wanting more, that said, they have been out for a long time so there should be a lot of choice second hand. The suspension is sportier than the FL2, but it does cope with rutted tracks well. The boot is bigger than it looks, and you can fit in a proper sized spare wheel. Glass roof is a gimmick - ignore the salesman's burlb about it being solar reflective - it aint - greenhouse comes to mind.

DS is expensive, but drives like the FL2, 7 seats and towbar = no spare, and most are 7 seats. nice big boot but to accommodate 7 seats the first row don't go back anywhere near as far as the FL2. Lots of gadgets, a lot of which are just that and you will tire of some of them. Mines been as reliable as our FL2, which was almost bomb proof, but I have only done 15k with me so far. ignore the 21k service interval, and allow for a mid service oil change at 10-11k.

WARNING they all have DPF (2008 doesn't), so will not like lots of short journeys, newer should be better, and LR are unlikely to be updating the software on the FL2 - my DS had 4 updates at the 21k service last month. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #351691 18th Jun 2018 1:22 pm
aesmith

There are a couple of non Land Rover options I'm looking at, purely from a cost point of view as I think the increasingly high price of Land Rover mainly goes on things that we don't particularly value. Even just size, something smaller than the FL2 would still be OK for us and have some advantages. On the other hand off road capability is important, particularly for snow on our unmade tracks. And that's something that Land Rover have always paid attention to, although less and less as the years go by. I would still worry if other makes would be as good. ----------
Tony S

Post #351693 18th Jun 2018 1:47 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

MartynB - out of curiosity does the outback have a variable speed limiter? I can see it has ctuise control but no obvious mention of speed limiter

Post #351698 18th Jun 2018 3:51 pm
Steven.T

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

I really like the look of the new x trails. Only thing that puts me off is they seem a bit on the small side and I'm not convinced about them offroad.

Post #351701 18th Jun 2018 4:47 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

We will wait to see what the new Defender offers. Won’t pre order as it may turn out to be a bag of Censored FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #351706 18th Jun 2018 5:39 pm
aesmith

Since people are mentioning non Land Rover, I was considering the Skoda Yeti. Our neighbour has one and clearly they managed for example last winter when snow drifts in the track meant we had to drive over the fields. ----------
Tony S

Post #351709 18th Jun 2018 6:28 pm
T4

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

For fear of being beaten to a pulp I am going to throw this one out there - "Cayenne" or VW Towrag.

A few years back we set up an off road course for Porsche Club GB. I used Terry to set it up and test the course it but was very surprised/disappointed/impressed on how capable the Cayenne was off road. And they are properly good on the tarmac. I have had several on loan and, road wise, my only criticism is they are too fast. They stick like the proverbial to a blanket and if it ever got away from you you would be going very very fast and very bad things would follow.

They are a lot of car for the money second hand but (as per another thread) they are a Porsche so servicing, spares etc, are likely to make even JLR main deals look cheap.....I haven't really sold that terribly well have I? Embarassed

Post #351712 18th Jun 2018 6:44 pm
T4

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

aesmith wrote:
Since people are mentioning non Land Rover, I was considering the Skoda Yeti. Our neighbour has one and clearly they managed for example last winter when snow drifts in the track meant we had to drive over the fields.

A petrol head mate has one. He had an X3 previously and a Classic Range Rover prior to that. He was going to get an FL2 rather than the X3 but the FL2 woudn't fit in the garage where the X3 would.

He seems to be very pleased with the Yeti. VW reliability, great build quality and great value all round apparently. He will read all the reviews, compare all the stats and generally look into everything to the nth degree. I respect his decision (aside the slight error of the X3) so can only conclude it must be a good car.

Post #351713 18th Jun 2018 6:53 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Latest Yeti I understand has lost its square looking soul as it’s now just another car with no differing image even if it’s technically good. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #351716 18th Jun 2018 7:04 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

richardk wrote:
MartynB - out of curiosity does the outback have a variable speed limiter? I can see it has ctuise control but no obvious mention of speed limiter

Hi , no it does not have a speed limiter . However the Lineartronic , which is a CVT automatic comes equipped with the EyeSight safety system . This is linked to the adaptive cruise control , so in most circumstances you can set your speed and distance for the system to react , and take your feet off of the pedals . The car will speed up and down to the set limit , and stop in traffic . As the car in front moves off you tap a resume button and off you go . Sounds difficult but it’s intuitive and quick, taking seconds to control everything from the steering wheel . Great for crawling down a packed motorway . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #351731 18th Jun 2018 10:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>