« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Cabin Temp Sensor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndyPP

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Cabin Temp Sensor

The aircon on my fl2 is running colder than it should. Say outside temp is 12 degrees and I've got the dials on 17 degrees, the aircon is belting out cold air. I'm not using the auto setting, just setting the temp and fan speed manually.

Is the cabin temp sensor easily replaceable?

Post #349647 16th May 2018 7:21 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Air Temperature Control - Dual Zone Automatic System Dual zone systems feature 2 rotary heating controllers, which allow individual climate control for the LH and RH sides of the cabin. Temperature selection can be made by turning the controller to the required temperature marked on the control panel. Turning either controller past the 16°C (61°F) mark will initiate the maximum cooling strategy; turning either controller past the 28°C (82°F) mark will initiate the maximum heating strategy.

• NOTE: Maximum cooling or heating can only be achieved if both rotary controllers are set to the same position.

The ATC module is able to maintain constant temperatures in both sides of the cabin by monitoring the feedback from the cabin temperature sensor. Unless any manual overrides have been selected, the ATC module will automatically control the intake air source, air distribution into the cabin and blower speed to maintain the required temperatures.

Dual zone systems feature 2 temperature blend doors, allowing individual temperature output for the LH and RH sides of the cabin.

• NOTE: The drivers side temperature setting has priority over the passengers side temperature setting. The temperature blend doors are mounted on the LH side of the heater assembly and direct a proportion of cooled air from the evaporator through the heater core to provide the required temperature outputs. The ATC module controls the position of the temperature blend doors by providing LIN bus messages to the blend door stepper motors. Hall effect sensors located within the stepper motors inform the ATC module that movement of the stepper motors is taking place

I have read through the Repair Manual and I am not sure that it is as simple as the just having the heater output air controlled by the cabin temp sensor. Also at 16 degrees the fan will deliver MAX Cold Air.

The sunlight sensor also has an input into the heater output temp.

What happens if you allow it to work in AUTO and take it for a little drive to allow the temperature to stabilise? FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #349653 16th May 2018 7:53 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Re: Cabin Temp Sensor

AndyPP wrote:
The aircon on my fl2 is running colder than it should. Say outside temp is 12 degrees and I've got the dials on 17 degrees, the aircon is belting out cold air. I'm not using the auto setting, just setting the temp and fan speed manually.

Is the cabin temp sensor easily replaceable?

If you are not using a auto setting is the air con really on ? On the later cars like mine it would not be ! Once auto setting is off its just a fresh air throughput and all you choose is fan speed and cabin position (feet face or screen).

So what happens if you choose say 20C ? When did the cabin filter last get changed ? FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #349657 16th May 2018 8:29 pm
AndyPP

It's a 64 so post facelift. I've never tried it on auto, just set the temp manually. If I put it up to 20 plus then I get plenty of hot air.

I just assumed that if it was set to higher than outside temp I would get warm air out the vents. Air con light is always on as it dogs up easily if I turn the ac off. Blows nice and cold so I don't think it needs regassing.

I keep both dials at the same temp too

Post #349668 16th May 2018 10:10 pm
AndyPP

Not sure on the cabin filter, first 2 services were LR dealer so would they have done that? No record of 3rd service and 4th was done at an indy garage and cabin filter wasn't on the list

Post #349669 16th May 2018 10:11 pm
IanMetro

TD4/SD4 SE
£27,765 TD4 SE Manual
£30,270 SD4 SE Automatic
SE Specification:
2.2 litre 150hp diesel engine (TD4) or 2.2 litre 190hp diesel engine (SD4)
Six-speed Manual Transmission including intelligent Stop/Start technology and gear change indicator light (TD4 Manual)
Six-speed Automatic Transmission (SD4 Automatic).
Interior Features
Grained leather heated seats with armrests, six-way / four-way driver / passenger manual adjustment
Automatic climate control
Heated front screen

Cruise control
Rear parking aid
Land Rover Audio System with six speakers, single slot CD player and 4.2 inch screen
Single USB iPod ® connectivity
Bluetooth ® phone connection
Leather steering wheel with multi-functional controls.
Exterior Features
18 inch ten-spoke alloy wheels
Halogen headlamps with LED signature
Dark Atlas grille with Gloss Black surround and Dark Atlas side vents
Heated powerfold exterior mirrors
Fog lights.

I think this is the spec of your car.
I would strongly recommend that you leave your Climate Control in AUTO
For half the year I leave the Air Con off, I only steam up in very wet weather. This is quickly cured by a selecting the PROG button which will bring on A/C, Heated Front and Rear Screens and redirect the air complete with Blowers.
Left in AUTO the Climate Control system will sort out everything including Air Distrubution, I find it a very good system. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #349674 16th May 2018 11:02 pm
Yorky Bob

Use auto and ensure cabin filter is done in future as it is on the service sheet I have for all services and it needs to be a quality carbon activated one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Free...1520322325

Best deal is to buy a full service kit each B service, this example says TD4, not sure if SD4 changes anything so you need check with seller.

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...cureDesc=0 FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #349685 17th May 2018 8:48 am
AndyPP

Cheers. Is the cabin filter easy to get to?

Post #349698 17th May 2018 12:54 pm
Yorky Bob

Average for a limbo dancer. Razz FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #349708 17th May 2018 4:15 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Despite a misconception, the numbers on the dial do NOT correlate to any sort of output temperature of the unit. If you set it to 16 it will not deliver 16c vent temperature or 16c cabin temperature, both of which would be uncomfortably cold, 11c ish below core body temp.

Historically it was considered (probably in Japan) that 23c was the most commonly set thermostat temperature in the house so it became the Comfort point, 22 being used in Europe. So 22 setting is calibrated to be comfortable for the majority of customers. Interestingly comfortable for nearly all people is a head level air temperature of about 27c but a significant variation of temperature across the rest of the body.

But it won't be comfortable for everyone, my wife runs at about 423kelvin and likes everything warm, so she will run at 24 ish, I prefer it just that little cooler so will run at 21.

Running the system in manual 17 is going to try to run quite cold, nearly max cold. Turn the temperature setting up! Manual mode does not use the cabin temperature sensor to provide temperature control, this is only used in AUTO

Unfortunately there is no universal calibration, all manufacturers are a bit different in temperature output, and a lot of this is a result of packaging restrictions and thus output temperature characteristics of the big plastic box.

I could, if paid enough, write an extensive but boring book on the subject.

Post #349715 17th May 2018 7:45 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Yorky Bob wrote:
Average for a limbo dancer. Razz

...indeed, and remember that the cover goes back on the wrong way round! The smooth, nicely finished side is on the inside, the unfinished-looking, cross-patterned bit is on the outside! Oh, and the clips break really easily! Embarassed 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #349738 18th May 2018 7:47 am
AndyPP

Thanks, that makes more sense. I'd assumed the dial numbers were in deg C

Post #349740 18th May 2018 8:16 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Don’t we all.......

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #349753 18th May 2018 10:08 am
AjM

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black

I think everyone has covered it well but it will only function properly as climate control in fully auto mode. I'm stunned it goes above 18, I thought that was for decoration only!! I can't ever think of a situation that would require it to go above 18, but maybe that's why I like the heated seats and wheel!!

Also I don't think you should ever turn the A/C off. It makes negligible difference to eco, much less than running with the windows down and is arguably more important in winter to keep the windows clear than to keep you cool in the summer. But it needs to be run regularly as it is only lubricates the system when run, if you leave it for long periods of time the compressor will seize and that is pricy! The amount of people I see driving round in modern cars with all the windows steamed up wiping the window with a dirty rag..... Rolling with laughter

Post #349756 18th May 2018 10:29 am
IanMetro

I believe from my observations that the fuel consumption drops by about 1.5 - 2 mpg.

I leave it on most of the summer, and use it on those wet, misty, winter days.

Compared with previous non-FL2 cars I think the FL2 system is more efficient with regards to mpg.

Some of my earlier cars you could use the a/c to provide considerably more engine braking, by switching it on down steep hills, as sort of primitive Hjll Descent Control. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #349761 18th May 2018 11:31 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1