Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had this experience:” Vibration "surges" at speed. Haldex! “
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic19396.htm...rges+speed
Do a search!

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #349534 15th May 2018 6:52 am
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

Hi there

Well I am now confused. I remember my haldex going end needing to be replaced, I also remember asking the forum for help when I had a shiver going through the car.

I have a different freely now, but I seem to remember the 2010 manual handbook advised to put new tyres on the front.

As usual, I have looked in my current 2013 handbook and there is no mention of fitting new tyres to a specific axle, it does however warn NOT to swap tyres around as they "bed in to a position" on the car and moving them around can affect ride and handling. I don't remember that from the other manual.

So I am now, officially confused......

At least the OP has sorted the problem, and it did seem it may have been the tyres, as to front or rear, I give up ------

Confused Confused Confused  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #349603 16th May 2018 8:25 am
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

dunkley201 wrote:
I had this experience:” Vibration "surges" at speed. Haldex! “
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic19396.htm...rges+speed
Do a search!

Bob

I have searched both this forum and several others, and read many threads, but not found a thread describing the same vibration issue that I have experienced.

My car's periods of vibration last for a distance of two or three miles of driving, and occur randomly and infrequently. In some 300 miles of driving, the vibration - which is felt throughout the whole car - occurred only three times.

Since swapping the tyres round, I have driven a further 100 miles with no vibration, and the car feels smoother. I am going to Inverness tomorrow (250 miles round trip) to a Land Rover indie to have my car serviced, and the Haldex will be serviced at the same time. I'll report again on my return. Currently enjoying:
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS (SOLD)
2013 BMW X3 20D M-Sport Auto
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #349608 16th May 2018 9:45 am
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

scrimple wrote:

..... I seem to remember the 2010 manual handbook advised to put new tyres on the front.

My handbook has a copyright date of 2010. I can't find any reference in it as to where new tyres should be fitted - though there's pages of stuff about using a temporary spare wheel and also about using a tyre repair kit. I would have thought either of these temporary puncture-repair solutions would result in tyres of different rolling radius being fitted on the same axle....??? Currently enjoying:
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #349609 16th May 2018 9:58 am
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

Final update - I am back from my trip to Inverness (250 miles total), and felt no vibration at all all day. So - whatever I did when I changed the wheels front-to-back has cured the problem. The garage advised that the small difference in tread depth of my tyres was very unlikely to be a cause of vibration.

The Haldex was serviced during the day. Apparently, the filter was 'well choked'. It is probably the first time it has been serviced in 56,000 miles.

The car ran very sweetly on the way home. Currently enjoying:
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #349744 18th May 2018 8:57 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Good news! This car does have some weird problems at times. I blame Canbus, computers & just too much electronics.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #349752 18th May 2018 10:07 am
MRRover75

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Hi!

I do not want to hijack this thread, but I have issues similar to the thread starters issues. The vibration comes and goes, but are often worse during the first miles of driving in the morning. Sometimes it can be felt from the rear and other times I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel. I am tempted to replace the front driveshafts, but these seems fine and feels firm to me. I have recently changed over from winter tires to summer tires and things feels a tad better, but there is still some vibrations that comes and goes. Any clues for what to look for? Mileage is now 157k miles.

Post #369995 11th Apr 2019 6:03 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

My advice to everyone on here is Do Not Rotate Your Tyres!
Yes fronts wear quicker so just replace and Yes leave tyres where they are and replace worn fronts with new.
And before the questions arises.....in the days before electronic stability programs new tyres were recommended to go on rear as the general “plod” driver was more likely to survive an understeer situation rather than an oversteer phenomenon but if the vehicle has electronic stability then it makes no difference.
And Yes the later owners manual is correct and changing tyres around on any AWD/4x4 can cause all sorts of vibrations, noise handling issues as tyres get a memory once they’ve been on a certain axle position and certain brands/patterns are worse than others hence why it doesn’t always result.
Tread patterns with “blocky” design or highly sipped are highly susceptible to this phenomenon on AWD platforms.
I’ve worked for a fairly large French tyre manufacture on their technical support if your wondering. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #369997 11th Apr 2019 6:39 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I don't rotate tyres as such, but with 6 wheels I put the tyres with the most tread on the front. I would rather the front be over driving than the rear, especially on dirt roads.

If you get a flat tyre on the front & have only have a biscuit. Put the biscuit on the back & move the rear wheel to the front. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #370005 11th Apr 2019 9:24 am
alex_pescaru

MRRover75 wrote:
Any clues for what to look for? Mileage is now 157k miles.

Just before I needed to change the rear right wheel bearing, I've had those vibrations, from time to time, like the thread starter said.
After the bearing change, no vibration or noise at all.

Post #370007 11th Apr 2019 9:43 am
MRRover75

My wife pointed out that there was something that felt wrong at the rear left wheel when she sat in the back with our kids the last journey a few weeks ago. I have checked the bearing, but everything seems fine. The good thing with a bearing, is that it will show up clearly sooner or later....

Post #370010 11th Apr 2019 10:23 am
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

Check possibly seizing hand-brake. You can feel with your hand, if rear alloys on either side got hot.

Post #370027 11th Apr 2019 2:40 pm
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

For what it's worth - I am the starter of this thread.

I parted with my Freelander a while ago - the car had several issues that I felt I couldn't fix or live with, and I now drive a BMW X3, which suits me very much better.

The vibration issue on my Freelander was NOT solved by swapping wheels round - as I said above. I eventually discovered that the handbrake mechanism was partially seized and grabbing on one wheel. I assume that the partial seizure was the reason why the vibration only occurred occasionally, and not all the time.

Hope that's helpful to some one! Currently enjoying:
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #370062 11th Apr 2019 7:01 pm
MRRover75

Thanks for all feedback. Sad to read that you have got rid of your car, but that time will come for all of us sooner or later.

All the handbrake components were renewed two years ago, but the expanders may have seized for all I know since then. There are no heat felt at the rims. I guess pulling the brake disc and check the handbrake components won`t hurt anyway.

Post #370079 12th Apr 2019 7:47 am
MRRover75

I pulled the rear discs and revealed some partly seized handbrake expanders. Cleaned, lubricated and put back in place. I noticed that I now can "feel" that the shoes return when putting the handbrake lever down compared to before the operation. No difference in behaviour after this. There is a tendency to a rear vibration that comes and goes, or it might be my paranoia.... I guess it will show up sooner or later as things have a tendency to get worse....
One guy I spoked to mentioned that it could be flat-spotting of the tires as it settles during the time the car is not used.

Is there any easy way to check the condition of the tires to rule these out?

Post #370285 16th Apr 2019 8:50 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>