« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Kangaroo starts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stubey

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Orkney Grey
Kangaroo starts

Lately, when stuck in traffic, the car often jumps forward when taking my foot off the brake. If I put it in P or N this doesn’t happen, just when keeping my foot on the brake in stop-start traffic. I’m sure if I were too close to the car in front I’d hit it. Any clues gratefully received. 2013 model, by the way, 35,000 on the clock. Had the car two years and this is my first auto. Maybe I don’t know how to drive an auto in traffic?

Post #349174 8th May 2018 11:11 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

First auto or not it should not do that.
It is best practice to put an auto into neutral or park when stationary, I presume it winds the gearbox up putting undue stress on it, maybe it's that but I've never heard of on jumping like that. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #349181 9th May 2018 7:34 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Bad driving practice and mechanically damaging equal to not putting a manual into neutral at all stopping points.

Tick-over now higher than it was, is it due a service ? I would go for a gearbox flush as a matter of course anyway in the cars service regime and hopefully with a little more use of N it will then be fine. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #349185 9th May 2018 8:03 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Presumably it didn't always behave like this? Does it matter if the gearbox is warmed up or not? My SD4 auto starts moving as soon as I take my foot off the brake and I always feel that I am holding it back although I wouldn't describe it as kangarooing. Have the idle revs changed? When I first had mine I was a bit apprehensive about the EPB as I found that the throttle was so sensitive that it would jump forward when the brake came off on touching the throttle.

Would be interested experiment to know if putting it into Sport or Manual makes a difference. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #349188 9th May 2018 9:09 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

My basic experience is same as dorsetfreelander.
I leave my FL2 in gear with footbrake on, as I learnt my lesson early on, by mistake with my first FL2 and first auto.

I braked to rest on an upward slope at traffic lights in Bristol. I put my gearbox into neutral and applied handbrake.
I took my eye off the road as I waited and was brought back suddenly by a horn being sounded. On looking up I saw that I was rolling slowly backwards, I gently hit the car behind with no damage.

Lessons learnt
the manual handbrake was not that good,
the hill assist braking releases very gently with time.

I have since learnt to let the FL2 function normally, and not interfere too much. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #349190 9th May 2018 9:29 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

The Do's and Dont's:

http://www.advanced-auto-maintenance.com/a...-donts.htm FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #349191 9th May 2018 9:40 am
dorsetfreelander

Interesting article although I would make the point that when you are stationary in an auto and it's in D with your foot on the
brake then nothing is moving in the box itself. What is happening is that the torque convertor (which is "just" two impellers immersed in oil) is sloshing around and pushing but the torque is relatively small compared with when you are actually motoring. Gearbox wear will occur as a result of gear changes as the brake bands do their stuff on the sun and planet gears. I appreciate the need for oil changes.

Discuss 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #349193 9th May 2018 9:50 am
stubey

Thanks for all the replies. This is a relatively new thing and only happens when warmed up and when stuck in the type of slow moving traffic where you’re only stationary for a few seconds. Not noticed any change to the engine revs. I have also always put it in n or d when stopped, say, at lights (although a few people I know have advised otherwise). It’s due a service in a few weeks so I’ll mention it then and see what happens. I’ve always avoided autos in the past as they just seem like something that can go wrong on a regular basis, with expensive consequences. I’ll let you know what happens and what the problem is. Thanks again.

Post #349234 9th May 2018 9:12 pm
stubey

Dorset .... I missed the question about sport or manual. To be honest I never thought of trying, so I’ll give it a go next time I get stuck in traffic, which I’m sure will be very soon. What’s your thinking behind this?

Post #349235 9th May 2018 9:14 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

The note from Landrover explaining action of auto gearbox when stationary in drive;

The most significant change is the advanced neutral control logic which reduces drag when the vehicle is stationary, the engine at idle and Drive selected. While not actually selecting neutral, drive load is substantially reduced to save fuel and improve refinement.

https://media.landrover.com/news/2010/08/l...eelander-2

I would think that it is OK to leave it in drive all the time? FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #349249 9th May 2018 11:11 pm
dorsetfreelander

stubey wrote:
Dorset .... I missed the question about sport or manual. To be honest I never thought of trying, so I’ll give it a go next time I get stuck in traffic, which I’m sure will be very soon. What’s your thinking behind this?

My comment was to get more info about what is going on. Two things: one is that I believe that the auto box tends to start you off in second gear if you are not in an off road mode and it might be interesting to set it in 1st and then 2nd in traffic and see if that makes a difference as you crawl along. The second point is that the sport program changes the upshift program so delays gear changes in auto which will also make a difference.

I have a slight niggle with my SD4 auto which is that when cold and you slow down to turn off a main road from about 30mph using the brakes then at about 5mph you feel a slight jerk as more engine braking comes in. The passengers probably don't notice it but when the car is warmed up it doesn't happen. The dealer says that they can get the ECU to remap gearbox and it would take about an hour. Apparently it needs to be up on a lift and running at various speeds during the process.

In my experience you learn to live with the particular foibles of an auto box, I had quite a few as company cars and the best and smoothest one was surprisingly the one in a Ford Galaxy with a 2.3L petrol.
. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #349268 10th May 2018 9:07 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1