Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > ARB awning & delux room with a floor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Battery in, just a few little things like covering the terminals. The battery tray is extremely solid, probably a bit overkill & doesn't move a millimetre.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #348337 27th Apr 2018 10:51 am
Lightwater

Are we there yet!..... almost there!

New bracket to sit solar panels between second spare tyre & additional fuel tanks. 3mm industrial teflon base to help slide solar panels into bracket & rubber cushioning around the inside face of the bracket. In the meantime have added a handle to the top on the panels for carrying & help putting them up onto the roof.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Another small project that took longer to design & build than Land Rover's next model! It is an extremely low current fan from one of my old computers. The bracket will sit or hang, swivel to any direction, & when not in use fold flat!
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #348893 4th May 2018 9:03 am
ronp

Scotland 

Nice installation, great work. Thumbs Up FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #348895 4th May 2018 9:08 am
Lightwater

The original topic of this thread was about the awning & enclosure:

Now that I have used it in the topend of Australia & the west coast I can say that it is very well made. The awning is well made & works well. I looked at other makes attached to car roof racks & this one has a heavier extrusion at the back to mount it.

You really need 2 people to set it up & fold it away, but this is the nature of this design of awning. A single rope attached to the centre of the extrusion where the poles go to the ground would help for a single person. One rope attached in the centre of the extrusion then lightly pegged into the ground, would help a lot for a single person setup & packing away.

The enclosure is also well made, but it is difficult to peg down near the car for stronger winds. I think a separate tent & or mosquito enclosure is the way to go & you can then claim a camping spot & still be able to drive off to look at local attractions.

We also found mosquitoes hid between the enclosure & the car, so when packing it up you need to be on your guard. From this aspect it would also be better to have a separate tent or mosquito enclosure away from the car so there are less places for mosquitoes to hide.

Ideally the enclosure should have the mosquito mesh on the outside & the solid covers inside, but I have a feeling no one makes them like this this. We have the mosquito mesh on the outside of out decades old hiking tent.

Conclusion: I would still get an awning, add a single centre rope for single person packing. But get a seperate enclosure.

The benift of using the awning for an enclosure is you don't have to carry another set of tent poles. But it is still good to have additional poles for the enclosure's additional awnings on all sides. I used my sand flag poles for 2 additional poles, a bit short but they were stiff enough & anything is better than nothing.

You can use the enclosure's sides as addition awnings on all 3 sides which gives you a lot of additional shade at different times of day to help greatly reducing radiated heat. The double roof, awning & the enclosure's ceiling reduces heat a lot, especially as the ceiling is low as the Freelander is not the tallest of cars for mounting an awning.

One could mount the awning further out on the end of the cross bar but then it"s more vulnerable to damage on bush tracks.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Bracket made to store poles. You can get 4 poles in here if storing a lot of water.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Topend mosquito swat!

Topend mosquito!
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #354890 12th Aug 2018 11:31 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

For no real reason I had a browse through this thread and must say I'm impressed at the creativity displayed Bow down
At no point though in the construction process was any reference made to stopping for tea, or a beer. Perhaps that's why these projects are so successful Wink

Post #354908 13th Aug 2018 9:33 am
Lightwater

The design process for all these items was over months to years, so a lot of tea & coffee..... & beer! The most efficient part of the design process was actually to get off each of the projects a number of times entirely to clear one's mind!

Another little project was 6 aluminium tent pegs for softer ground. 12mm diameter, 500 mm long, 4.75 mm 304 stainless steel pins in end about 15mm & also for hook. Also tapped an M6 16mm bolt into the bottom end & ground it to a point.

A total of 1.008 kg for the 6 pegs & they were cheaper than buying 6 similar zinc plated steel tent pegs!

Click image to enlarge

Another couple of projects:
Fridge https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic29388.html
compressor https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic30454.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #354951 14th Aug 2018 12:50 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Lightwater, you’re just showing off now. If I owned any tools I’d show you construction Rolling with laughter

Post #354955 14th Aug 2018 8:02 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123