« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > side steps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
maxhighside

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver
side steps

Hi looking at fitting some side steps so my dad can get in better. Has anyone any experience with aftermarket side steps like ones for sale at rimmerbros as can't stretch to the £600 for the oem ones. Are bearmach any good? Have already decided the britpart ones will not be worth buying based on comments in these forums.

Post #214445 21st Jan 2014 9:38 pm
ad210358

England 

These have been bought by members on here, can't remember who, seems they are like LR ones, even down to the instructions but no mention of LR on them. Haven't seen them myself, only what others have said.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-FREEL...2334e1a001

Post #214446 21st Jan 2014 9:46 pm
Legoman

United Kingdom 

Britpart ones are EXACTLY the same as OEM ones, even down to the part number. Ordered via my main dealer, who also couldn't tell them apart when lined up side by side with the OEM ones. A lot less of a cost.

Post #214450 21st Jan 2014 9:53 pm
PR

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

ad210358 wrote:
These have been bought by members on here, can't remember who, seems they are like LR ones, even down to the instructions but no mention of LR on them. Haven't seen them myself, only what others have said.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-FREEL...2334e1a001

Those steps say not suitable for a Freelander 2!

Or did I misread the advert? Rereading it is very confusing! 1998 300TDi Auto Disco, never to be forgotten.
2008 Auto TD4 Freelander2, now gone?
2013 Auto SD4 Freelander!
A proud member of Landytown.com
Visit our blog at
http://paullizlifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com/ updated October 2017

Post #214457 21st Jan 2014 10:34 pm
ad210358

England 

The seller shows a Freelander 2 and states they fit from 2006 on, it's nears enhanced listing that says they don't fit, PM the seller for clarification Thumbs Up

Post #214458 21st Jan 2014 10:45 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I bought a pair of boards from Powerful_uk_ltd via the bay for £145 last summer. They also have a really useful fitting video on their site that was helpful. They look the same as the ones in the link but there are numerous suppliers some that say their boards are for Freelander 2 some don't seem so sure, I would always check with the seller before parting with cash!

As far as their usefulness - I like them, using them helps getting in / out of the car without squashing the driver seat side panel which has a tendency to wear and split after a while. Elderly relatives like them as it just helps them get in / out of the car (as long as they can remember which foot to put onto the board!!).

They help avoid the door dings that you can get from cretinous car park users (though you also need the full set of door bumpers as well).

The downside is that if you don't use them you end up rubbing the back of your trouser leg against the dirty edge of the board. They are also a pretty useless addition to the car if you take yours off road onto anything that might be described as having challenging ruts.

The appearance of them seems to evoke a Marmite response in many but that is no reason to not buy a set!

It is worth considering buying a set that includes the tools unless you already have access to things like a Rivnut tool (I'd never heard of a rivnut before then)

Post #214468 22nd Jan 2014 12:56 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

If you type in "Freelander 2" side steps in eBay, there are loads of suppliers selling OEM style side steps.

I bought mine for £119 delivered.

They are made by the same manufacturer as the original LR steps. Mine actually had the oval LR badge on the underside, but with the words Land Rover rubbed off. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #214475 22nd Jan 2014 8:39 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Fitting side steps & avoiding corrosion

I wonder if I may share some thoughts and give a little inspiration on fitting.
From an engineers technical point of view the sidesteps are not the best engineering choice of materials and the paint finish is poor. The square tubes are steel, they internally have little or no paint and to make things worse the extruded aluminium tops are Pop Rivetted using aluminium rivets into the steel. Steel and aluminium are far apart on the chemical table and react with pne another particularly with moisture present. According to the handbook you have to remove the steps to change a wheel at the roadside using the LR jack, and that won't be easy if the tubes have rusted in.
So how do we beat the rust and corrosion? It's actually quite straightforward. Buy a large can of aerosol body wax such as Waxoyl from either the car accessory shop or better still a car paint suppliers, (bigger cheaper can).
The day before fitting stand the steps on edge and copiously spray the insides of the square tubes, also give a light spray to all the brackets.
As you bolt and fix each bracket finish it with another light coat of wax. Now spray the external brackets on the car before sliding in the sidesteps and after final fixing give the end result another spray of wax to all the exposed steel bits.
Job done and at minimal extra cost.
Hope this helps. Kind regards from Fred
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #214495 22nd Jan 2014 12:36 pm
cuerdley1989

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Firenze Red

Purchased my side steps from LR Centre in Speke, Liverpool for £150 inc VAT. They seem to be very good quality and they look just like the original LR ones. I had them fitted by my local independent earlier this week, and they really look the business!!

Post #214525 22nd Jan 2014 4:09 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

When my rear door on the old car was dented, the dealer removed the side step after 6 1/2 years being on the car and it all came apart with ease.

I understand the relevance of steel and aluminium not being an ideal mix (I am a mechanical engineer) but on side steps I don't think it is too much of a problem.

But wax oil will for sure not do any harm. Thumbs Up Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #214590 22nd Jan 2014 10:28 pm
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

I've recently fitted an aftermarket set of steps as some of the shorter members of my family regretted the absence of a grab handle I used to have on four previous RangeRovers.
I've read several times about the difficulties of jacking/wheel changing, and the fitting instructions confirmed that the side steps should be removed prior to jacking. Being concerned about this, I did a test jacking with steps on, using the original scissor jack and jacking points, and can unequivocally confirm the steps do not have to be removed. I lifted the car till the wheel spun free of the ground with no problem.

Post #348345 27th Apr 2018 12:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1