Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Speed Camera's.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Police across the country have recently been criticized for the over use of speed awareness course and not prosecuting enough. (nothing to do with easier paperwork option and/or cashing in Whistle )

Whilst im against the misuse of speed cameras (wrong locations, wrong type, hidden etc ) im all for prosecuting more repeat speeders, and banning at 12 points regardless of circumstances.

Post #348136 24th Apr 2018 2:28 pm
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I wonder what it would take for him to curb his speed/change his driving style? I assume at work he comes across as a nice guy, it's only when he gets behind the wheel that the red mist descends. Looking at today's driving standards it's obvious he isn't alone in his actions. I do a lot of motorway mileage and cannot for the life of me understand why most of the vehicles I see speeding through a roadworks section have the words "Highway Maintenance" written on the back of their vehicle. The reduced speed limit is put there to protect these people when they are working yet they happily ignore it when they are driving.

Post #348137 24th Apr 2018 2:56 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

when I used to work just inside the North Circular my whole driving style would change once inside the M25 ring and become a lot more aggressive. Driving around there is the only time ive been threatened with death (3 times!!) for driving normally so I made the choice to drive the same way everyone else seemed to. (i.e. aggressive)

There used to be a distinct line between driving like a lunatic within the M25 and anywhere north of the Watford Gap but these days it doesn't seem to matter where you are, there is always at least 1 serious muppet driving like a lunatic.

Post #348139 24th Apr 2018 3:27 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

dennij wrote:
I wonder what it would take for him to curb his speed/change his driving style? I assume at work he comes across as a nice guy, it's only when he gets behind the wheel that the red mist descends. Looking at today's driving standards it's obvious he isn't alone in his actions. I do a lot of motorway mileage and cannot for the life of me understand why most of the vehicles I see speeding through a roadworks section have the words "Highway Maintenance" written on the back of their vehicle. The reduced speed limit is put there to protect these people when they are working yet they happily ignore it when they are driving.

Couldn't stop laughing in the roadwork's by junc 11 m25 a few years back, early hours of the morning all bar one obeying the 50mph speed limit, the exception a highways van, so pleased to see two cameras flash him. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #348141 24th Apr 2018 3:46 pm
T4

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

RogB wrote:
Police across the country have recently been criticized for the over use of speed awareness course and not prosecuting enough...

I may, or may not have done a Speed Awareness Course and, had I done it, (which I may or may not have done) I found it extremely good.....or at least I would have done if I had done it....which I may or may not.

My regular commute is from Essex to Swansea. I always try to go in the evening when the traffic is light. In years gone by I might have set my cruise control at a tad under 100 and blitzed my way across the country in around 3 hours door to door.

These days I am a great deal more circumspect. The trip may take half as long again but I use half the fuel that I used to.

The thing that most struck home from the course - which I may or may not have done - was down to braking and how it works insofar as the retardation is almost like a square root curve - The faster you are going the more it takes to remove speed so to remove 10 mph at 100 is a great deal more difficult than removing 10 mph at 50.

The result of all this, as an example - If there is an incident on the motorway and you are doing 70 mph and were able to stop just short of the incident; had you been doing 100 mph you would have ploughed into the incident at 70 ....it's pretty damn frightening when you look at it in those terms.

Years ago I had all manner of speed trap counter measures ....these days I just drive within the limit, It is a lot less stressful, safer and cheaper.

Post #348145 24th Apr 2018 5:11 pm
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

IanMetro wrote:
Where is this information and guide please. (for Metro Sat Nav)

A link would be great as i'd like this as well please Thumbs Up

Post #348147 24th Apr 2018 5:58 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

RealBeale wrote:
dennij wrote:
It would be far easier and safer not to break the speed limit but I guess that's not an option for some.

Work colleague AGAIN has just been done for speeding. I cannot understand how he keeps his licence . He freely admits that when he's in his car (VW Golf) he becomes a man possessed and has to be ahead of everyone else. He was just caught doing 91mph on the motorway, but only got 3 points and £100 fine. He's been on numerous "speed awareness " courses but never learns. One day the consequences will be too much to bare, either he kills himself, or god forbid, someone else (no doubt someone innocent). And worse - he admits to doing it with his young son in the car too !!

Relative in Switzerland just be fined 40swFr for being 1km over their 50kph town limit - puts it all into perspective

Post #348155 24th Apr 2018 7:31 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Unfortunately the electronic camera has become a relatively cheap way of earning money, be it speeding, parking, etc.

As far as monitoring road behaviour goes, I think there is no substitute for good old fashioned policing. With the correct number of marked and unmarked cars on the roads I am sure we would see better driving.

I also feel that compulsory PROPER driver training of offenders would further decrease accidents.

I was fortunate in that my company, facing ever increasing motor insurance / repair costs, sent us all on a one day 'Defensive Driver Course' run by ex police drivers. It included an on-road driving assessment, and a very interesting practical exercise which had us driving for about 20 mins, trying not to brake or stop, while making reasonable (quick) progress. This was amongst normal traffic on the edge of Bristol.
Also the importance of trying to maintain a space all around your car was drummed into us.
It changed my driving forever. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Last edited by IanMetro on 24th Apr 2018 8:26 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #348156 24th Apr 2018 7:54 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

We do need more road police as they then smell breath once stopped and check tyres etc.

Well that me banged up then for one of those statements. Whistle FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #348157 24th Apr 2018 7:58 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Just recieved notification of doing 25 mph in a 20p mph area. £100 plus 3 points or £88 and a speed awareness course lasting 21/2 hours BUT no records as far as insurance goes. This brings filibustering to new heights.

Banged too rights but it was on a very steep hill which ,regrettably, a 20 ton tipper had brake failure and killed a women and child just outside Bath some 9 months ago. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #348162 24th Apr 2018 8:09 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Although I have never had a speeding ticket (yet), I think it is only a matter of time before we all get caught out.
I try to always use cruise control when ever I can to limit accidental overspeed, but it is far too easy to follow other traffic as their speed changes and get caught out.

My main fear at the moment is the rapid introduction of 'Car Park Enforcement' cameras. We have all sorts of time limits, minimum non-return periods, and shop receipts rules, and automatic fines if you get it wrong.
Several people locally have been caught out when returning to pick someone up by the non-return rule.

Again, cheap to run and rack in the profits, and very hard to find a contact to explain the situation. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #348163 24th Apr 2018 8:37 pm
Mowog

unciepaul68 wrote:
I think I produced that guide!

Many thanks for the instructions
Had to reload twice as it showed error first time.
Eric (gotlostinthewoods)

Post #348170 24th Apr 2018 10:14 pm
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Yorky Bob wrote:
We do need more road police as they then smell breath once stopped and check tyres etc.

Well that me banged up then for one of those statements. Whistle

I know they're cracking down but bad breath from not brushing your teeth shouldn't get you in trouble Laughing

Post #348194 25th Apr 2018 3:51 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Do you have teeth like Stars then - They come out at night Rolling with laughter FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #348195 25th Apr 2018 4:54 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

No speed awareness courses in Scotland, so don't speed north of the border. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #348219 26th Apr 2018 7:28 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>