Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > OIL LIGHT GOES ON WHEN ENGINE IS IDOL
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
alex_pescaru

That's it.
As per checking and replacing, they say that's not replaceable... It's in the text above.

Post #218219 27th Feb 2014 11:02 pm
Acciola

Malta 

Very interesting and valuable information but I have one nagging question, my oil light only goes on when my FL is warmed up, stationery and not revved up. As soon as I put it in gear and drive off, the warning light immediately goes off and remains off while Im driving.

Do you still think this could be related to the Oil Filter issue?

Post #218231 28th Feb 2014 8:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alex_pescaru

No, it could be, very well, related with wear and tear, oil quality, blocked oil pick-up and/or passages, etc.
Or all altogether. E.g. wear was present, this service the new oil was a little different from certain points of view and therefore this situation appeared.

Post #218232 28th Feb 2014 8:49 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I have watched this post and been thinking. HOWEVER first stop driving the car until you've solved the cause.
On the basis of checking easy things first and working in an orderly fashion it might just be:-
1/.the mechanic might have bought and fitted a wrong oil filter so it may either be blocking off the oil flow or not recompressing the drain valve. SO try another mechanic and buy and fit a known oil filter and buy and fill with a known brand and correct spec oil.
2/. if the light persists then it might be a fault with the electric sensor switch that operates the dashboard light; change it.
3/.I am pretty sure that the bypass overpressure relief valve is fitted inside the self same front housing as already identified and photod on page 1 of this post; it too might have failed. Now is the time to buy a brand new OE filter housing and change it. Do not risk second hand parts at this stage.
Do be aware that to change the filter housing is a lengthy tedious job, it involves undoing the aluminium ancillaries adaptor plate to which is mounted the Alternator, Aircon Pump, Power Steering Pump. the oil filter housing is part trapped behind the ancillaries adaptor plate. DO NOT FOLLOW TOPIX INSTRUCTIONS. Topix gets you draining and disconnecting the power steering and letting the aircon gas out. You don't need to do that as they will all detach and tuck out of the way.
If the oil light still shows after the new oil and filter and housing then you have engine wear and damage.
If you have to change the Filter Housing; then given the amount of bits to undo to get at it then I would recommend to fit a set of new glow plugs whilst they are easily reachable and remove and flush the throttle body flaps; I might also flush the intake manifold flaps.
I do hope you can follow the easy steps first and solve the problem.
Kind regards from Fred

Post #218240 28th Feb 2014 10:37 am
Acciola

Malta 

Thanks Fredastaire... Will inform my mechanic right now.

Post #218242 28th Feb 2014 10:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fredastaire

Good morning Acciola, may I ask what the progress is on the oil light?

kind regards from Fred

Post #218359 2nd Mar 2014 10:11 am
Acciola

Malta 

Good morning all Smile

Well, wanted to see how my FL went over the weekend before I updated you all. My mechanic check the valve in the housing and found it working well so he replaced the oil filter with another brand and the problem was finally resolved. Had no more issues over the weekend.

Id like to take the opportunity to thank this forum and members that take the time to help others such as myself. Thumbs Up

Henry Copperstone

Post #218435 3rd Mar 2014 8:50 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

That's good news, Henry. Now you can enjoy Malta! (It will be nice when it's finished! - as they say Wink ) 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #218437 3rd Mar 2014 9:29 am
Acciola

Malta 

Actually, while enjoying Malta as I always do, Im off to the North of Sicily this Friday for a long weekend to enjoy some snow in the Mountains there along with my 2 Golden Retrievers that will be their first experience in snow. We're actually going to be a group of good friends, also coming with their dogs - should be good fun Smile

Post #218439 3rd Mar 2014 9:36 am
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver
Oil light

Just changed oil an filter as I noticed oil light stopping on for a few seconds on start up.still got the light on for the same time after oil change.never comes on again until start up again.

Post #345625 23rd Mar 2018 11:43 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

What make of filter did you fit? Others have reported similar issues as yours which were cured by fitting a genuine filter (or other quality make like Fram, Mann etc)

Post #345628 23rd Mar 2018 12:52 pm
fredastaire

It could be a well worn engine, it could be a duff oil filter it could be a faulty pressure sensor switch. Always start with the easiest first. There are counterfeit filters around to be bought from seemingly genuine retail outlets, best buy an original LR for the small extra cost. If still no good then change the pressure sensor. If still no good find out where the pressure relief valve is as it might be leaking. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #345633 23rd Mar 2018 2:26 pm
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver
Oil filter

Hi I fitted a mahle filter,the oil light had started to stay on longer at start up before hence the oil change.its probley more in the mind when you start timing the oil light.how long does it normally stop on.

Post #345643 23rd Mar 2018 3:53 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

On mine oil light goes off almost instantly after the engine starts hot or cold. The red airbag light is the last light on the dash to go off about 2 or 3 seconds after the engine starts. (Except for seat belt and handbrake on warnings)

Post #345644 23rd Mar 2018 4:11 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Ive gone with Mann filters (OEM spec) in the past.

Plenty of filters comparisons in Youtube - there are some significant differences at the cheap end of oil filters market such that I'd never go there. False economy IMO Jules

Post #345648 23rd Mar 2018 5:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>