« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > quality of LR health checks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
quality of LR health checks

mine was in to LR last month for a check on the headlights (blowing HB3 bulbs) and heated windscreen functionality check. As a matter of routine they carried out a health check and only advised I replace the coolant as the specific gravity/temp was not sufficient.

It was serviced by LR in December with no issues.

MOT was done today at an independant and it failed

Reason(s) for failure
•Nearside Headlamp aim too low (1.Cool
•Offside Headlamp aim too low (1.Cool
•Nearside Steering rack gaiter insecure (2.2.D.2d)
•Offside Steering rack gaiter insecure (2.2.D.2d)
•Nearside Track rod end ball joint dust cover excessively deteriorated so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.2.C.1c)

so LR had the headlamps out and they fail Whistle , I cant see the other 3 failure points not being picked up so what is the use of the health check Rolling Eyes

Post #345642 23rd Mar 2018 3:37 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White
Pish quality of LR health checks

JLR really have lost it within the serving department. The technicians are just not interested and a monkey could do a better job. Upon my 4th service they failed to notice a split DPF hose when I questioned the dealers they said it’s not part of the 4th service. Shocked

I said BUT you sent me a health check video giving the car a clean bill of health Banging Head Thud Banging Head Thud Banging Head MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Last edited by LR NUT on 23rd Mar 2018 9:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #345649 23rd Mar 2018 7:00 pm
LR2hselux

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

The health check is a visual health check, an MOT is a dedicated inspection using test equipment in a dedicated bay. They should not be confused. An MOT would not for instance highlight a split dpf hose, as its not part of the test, an MOT typically takes 45 minutes to an hour, a VHC is usually completed within 15 minutes.

Post #345657 23rd Mar 2018 9:15 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

So your saying they wouldn't notice a split or badly degraded boot that is in plain vision under a visual health check???( agreed not a hose buried in the engine Bay etc)
Or how about ensuring the headlights are aligned correctly after they have removed them????? (Explains why I couldn't see very far at night!!!)

These idiots pick up work like "we recommend new brakes all round as yours are at 50% sir, cost is £400" ....or "anti freeze is only at -15 so we recommend a coolant swap sir even though its currently 1deg outside cost is £85"...... But they can't pick up obvious safety issues or MOT failures?????
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head

Post #345674 24th Mar 2018 5:54 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

In my eyes when I see a vehicle for sale with (full Land Rover service history) it means nothing, only the owner has been ripped off Whistle I always take my car to my local garage who I have known for years & who I have confidence in Thumbs Up

Post #345677 24th Mar 2018 9:05 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

You are probably right but it does affect resale value and avoids any issues with LR warranties. I regard it as part of the cost of running one of these things. Apparently with the newer models with Ingenium engine the service intervals are 2 years or 21k miles 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #345688 24th Mar 2018 12:05 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

If I went to view a car & the service book showed the oil & filter had not been replaced for 21k miles I would not care if it had a bloody Rolls Royce engine no way I would buy that car Big Cry as for resale value dealer v local garage service it ain’t going to make a big difference as most Freelanders are only worth sub 10k, they are simply not high value cars anymore & its just not worth you paying a main dealer £500 for a “B service.” not long ago you could get +3yrs service but most dealers have finished doing that offer.

Last edited by Jack frost on 24th Mar 2018 4:03 pm. Edited 5 times in total

Post #345710 24th Mar 2018 3:39 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Hi Rog sorry to hear about your troubles, coincidence maybe but did they check steering rack as mine's same year and it had gone!!! common according to LR 'engineer' Confused

also did you get the fix for lamps blowing please? Censored HB3. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #345712 24th Mar 2018 3:43 pm
LR2hselux

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

i quite agree with the servicing frequency, that is why I carry out a full B service every year and an interim A service at 6 months.

Post #345756 24th Mar 2018 10:56 pm
rnlisg

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

dorsetfreelander wrote:
You are probably right but it does affect resale value and avoids any issues with LR warranties. I regard it as part of the cost of running one of these things. Apparently with the newer models with Ingenium engine the service intervals are 2 years or 21k miles

Shocked
but then when they recomend auto gearbox fluid change at 10 yrs or 150k,and similar for the haldex (which my local stealer said rarely has problems) Rolling with laughter are we really surprised Whistle
i said he should have a peek at the forum ref haldex issues and he just smiled. gone
P38 v8 auto no problems,great howle from exhausts when giving it welly
Td5 auto head gasket,no5 pot not uncommon but good car.
1st Tdv6s manual epb problem fixed under warranty(stealer said"never heard of this before,i suggested he looked at d3 forum.
2nd Tdv6 se auto epb
3rd Tdv6 xs auto 2008,swmbo,s favourite.

Post #345795 25th Mar 2018 12:23 pm
fthrjack

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Alaska White

These health checks are the same with all car dealers, same with Halfords "free" winter health check.

Its just an excuse to get your car in, find something to then bill you for.. like low screen wash, brake pads, tyres... and then charge you top whack for the items and doing the work.

If there is nothing wrong they will find something and try pressure you into parting with your fun tokens.

Post #345799 25th Mar 2018 1:16 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I doubt if LR dealers see many cars older than 5 or 6 years old these days. I was in a dealers last year and a FL1 was bought in on a recovery truck. Apparently it had been misfuelled, the guys said something like "old Fred knows about these things doesn't he?" 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #345823 25th Mar 2018 3:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1