« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Ultra Low Emission Zone - Central London
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red
Ultra Low Emission Zone - Central London

The Greater London Authority are consulting on restricting vehicles with higher that certain emissions from the current Congestion Charging Zone by adding an additional charge from 2020. 」12.50 for any diesel car not complying with Euro 6 standards. Apart from some 'early adopters' this means any pre 2015 vehicle. So my 2010 FR2 will be liable....... Consultation ends on Jan 9th. I agree with reducing pollution as the GLA have been in breach of EU legal requirements for some time and pollution levels, particularly on key routes close to me like the A4, A40, North Circular and feeder roads close by can be very harmful. This is a U turn forced upon Mayor Boris Johnson who when first elected delayed implementation of phases of the Low emissions strategy introduced by his predecessor, Ken Livingston and cancelled the Congestion Charge extension.... So anyone choosing to drive their FR2 into the zone in 2020 will pay at current prices 」24 a day...... see https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/environme...ssion-zone (apologies if this has already been mentioned mods, could not find it on a brief search) Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #247992 6th Jan 2015 11:55 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

I think that what is of most concern is the fact that when, not if, this gets ratified, you will see it rolled out by authorities across the country. They will not stop the witch-hunt against the motorist, who has always been seen as a soft target, until we are all driving around in little electric bubbles, and even then they will conjure up new ways to relieve you of monies in the form of taxation. Clarkson famously stated in 2006 that the world of motoring was in its early stages of demise thanks to the "Green" zealots, and this if anything simply reinforces that train of thought.

Enjoy driving whilst you still can...my guess is the traditional car and motorist as we know it will become a rarity within the next 20 years. Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #248009 7th Jan 2015 8:49 am
taztastic

England 

It almost certainly be rolled out, it's a cash cow after all!

That said, something needs to be done, in the last few years I have noticed a very distinctive brown haze over Preston, not exactly a Metropolis and an area where the wind comes in from the coast, seeing the smog over there makes you realise how much pollution is dumped into the atmosphere.

Just yesterday, I was at an office at Manchester airport, early morning crisp and clear and there was around 26 contrails visible, 30 minutes later these had gelled into one large cloud, that's an issue that also needs addressing, air travel is fine but as its seen as a necessity then goes largely in touched.

Hybrid and emerging technologies seem to be a way off yet....but.....with an exponential rate of development with technology it may not be that far away ...

Post #248012 7th Jan 2015 9:05 am
ad210358

England 

Wouldn't be so bad, but at the moment the vehicles we run, there is only one manufacturer that is Euro V1 Compliant, none of the other manufacturers can give us an indication of when they will be on the market. But then if they did something to free up the traffic instead of creating pinch points everywhere, congestion would come down, the more you sit in the the congestion the more emmisions you create, whilst the buses with a handful of passengers on proceed down the empty bus lanes, it's not un usual to go down Regent Street at 10 am and see ten buses in a line go down the Bus Lane with twenty passengers on in total, reckon the bus companies must be on a handout to put as many buses out as they can, as it cannot pay to rely on passengers to make it pay. At the end of the day it's the customer that will pay, it all gets added to the bill.

Post #248016 7th Jan 2015 9:23 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I think the law needs to tighten up on emissions from so many trucks that have had add blue emulators fitted . I have seen truck firms that have had whole fleets with add blue systems bypassed and ECUs remapped with EGR systems blanked off.
So these trucks Could appear to be LEZ compliment when they have there eminox systems fitted and taxed accordingly but they are actually not complient . Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #248085 7th Jan 2015 7:51 pm
frenchie

England 

It's all very well but it is once again small businesses and charities which will suffer. My cadet Sqn has a 12 plate minibus which meets LEZ standards. It wasn't cheap to buy and the Squadron had to save and fundraiser hard to get it. Sometimes we have to travel into or through town and it would be a shame to be charged for straying into the ULEZ when it comes to fruition.

Post #248233 8th Jan 2015 8:05 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

A bit off topic but a bit of a rant. How was one supposed to know about the London low emissions zone unless you lived there? I remember driving up to Heathrow from Somerset and seeing this sign saying I was about to enter the LEZ but I had never heard of it and there was no explanation on the sign about who, how or what was affected. As it turns out I was in my Defender TD5 and if I had not turned off the Heathrow I would have been looking at a」100 fine for something I knew nothing about. Have I missed something - did we get a notification with tax renewal or what? John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #248669 12th Jan 2015 4:49 pm
Gadge

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

A TD5 defender is LEZ compliant unless it is a commercial version.
If it is, then a company should know about LEZ.

Of course, we all know that often commercial LRs are used simply as cheaper cars by private owners.
This where it falls down.

Post #249026 16th Jan 2015 1:07 pm
Gadge

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

The ULEZ proposal only covers a small area of central London.

Diesel drivers will be hit far quicker than petrol users with only 5 years grace following introduction of new diesel engine standards in Sep 2015 until ULEZ comes into force, and all previous engines not compliant.
All FL's will therefore be affected. So too will Discovery Sport's until they start fitting the new engine to replace SD4.

On the plus side, I would rarely choose to take a car into central London.
It is a hassle to park and quite challenging to navigate unless you know the roads well.

It is much easier to take the tube/bus.

Routing around London is nowadays easier via M25 or North Circular, both of which fall outside proposed ULEZ.

Post #249032 16th Jan 2015 1:28 pm
ad210358

England 

Gadge wrote:
A TD5 defender is LEZ compliant unless it is a commercial version.
If it is, then a company should know about LEZ.

Of course, we all know that often commercial LRs are used simply as cheaper cars by private owners.
This where it falls down.

Currently LEZ compliant, both have the same engine, so not to upset the voters, the non commercial one is compliant at the moment.
Proposed new ULEZ is for the same area that the current congestion area covers. I say proposed, it's coming wether we like it or not.

Post #249041 16th Jan 2015 2:02 pm
Macleod

Belgium 
Freelander2

Planning to visiting the UK and also Central London in 2 weeks time with my 2010 Freelander2 Diesel (TD4).

Is that a problem ?

Post #345329 19th Mar 2018 10:56 am
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

You will be okay - apart from having to pay the congestion charge, the ULEZ has not taken affect as yet.

Post #345344 19th Mar 2018 2:43 pm
j77

Scotland 

Pollution is a big problem unless you pay a daily charge then it doesn窶冲 matter. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #345360 19th Mar 2018 5:39 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Gadge wrote:
The ULEZ proposal only covers a small area of central London.

On the plus side, I would rarely choose to take a car into central London.
It is a hassle to park and quite challenging to navigate unless you know the roads well.

It is much easier to take the tube/bus.

Routing around London is nowadays easier via M25 or North Circular, both of which fall outside proposed ULEZ.

I quite agree, unless like me you work shifts and on various days need to be in work at around 6-630am - I work in Bow, E3 about a mile north of the Blackwall Tunnel. If I'm forced on to public transport it means getting up at 4, catching the bus at 5, then taking two DLR journeys Neutral The returns no better, leaving at 18-1830 and hoping to be indoors an hour later. Becomes a very long day.
Presently I live and work outside the proposed ULEZ but undoubtedly when it becomes obvious how much money it's generating it'll be expanded , as was the initial congestion charging zone.
And where does all that money go, certainly not spent on road repairs or speeding up existing routes.
Any way, hoping to have retired by then and moved away

Post #345361 19th Mar 2018 5:41 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

"Any way, hoping to have retired by then and moved away"

It'll follow you and catch up with you where ever you go.

J

Post #345409 20th Mar 2018 11:05 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>