Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
T4

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Largered wrote:
....... I did say ......

"seller claims they are OEM, but I would check first. "

Indeed so, I wish I had. But then, like you, I assumed OEM would mean OEM. At £150 they are no longer cheap copies as cheap copies can be had for £100 now.

The seller obviously had a similar experience as, while the bars have not been fitted, the box has certainly been opened a good number of times.

Of the one piece I took out to look for part numbers on in the mouldings (none to be seen) the intermediate roof bracket rattled. I didn't further examine if it was just loose and could be tightened as I was pretty fed up all round.

You know the old saying "If something looks too good to be true...."

I am sure I could tighten it all up and I have no doubt it will fit but it will forever annoy me and I will spend all my time looking for the onset of oxidisation. And, as noted above, if I wanted a cheap copy I could have saved another £50 on what I bought.

Post #345339 19th Mar 2018 11:59 am
T4

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Fair does I have, this morning, received a return postage label with no quibbles.

Always good to be wise after the event but I had a look at the sellers other products and history. He/they have many roof bars for sale (though not listed as OEM) and one recent negative feedback from a Discovery owner complaining about non OEM parts ... if only I had done my home work.

All a bit frustrating but should be all resolved and the already well travelled box gets to go on another trip.

Post #345413 20th Mar 2018 10:17 am
ugg

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Buckingham Blue

Thanks for all the replies.

I managed to get a set off the F2 facebook page £100 all in with two extra lockable bars.
second hand but a LR one.

Cheers all on this great site.

ugg Don't wait for your Ship to come in.. Swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing (Barry Sheene)

Freelander HSE LUX SD4 2013 (6000 miles in..)
Discovery 300tdi 1998 (gone to the rust God) but not forgotten
Range Rover Autobiography 4.6 2000
Disco 200tdi
Defender 90 52 reg TD5
Hyundai Terracan 2004(my mud plugger)
Kawasaki KLZ 1000 2012
Suzuki T500 1970 (my Honey)

Post #345646 23rd Mar 2018 3:35 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

A few installation notes:

Also I found it easier to pre install the fixing cross bar, but loosen the bolts about 3 full turns from fully tightened. A few bath towels on the roof of the car to protect the paint gives one more peace of mind especially while lowering the whole assembly into position (reference for others as you will already have the rails on the car). A towel under the cross bar while tightening up provides a bit of protection to the roof. & stool or step ladder to stand on.

Just a reminder, do NOT use silicone to seal, get a proper car body sealer from Sika or similar.

Rear covers don't clip on properly, maybe the OEM is a bit better, so I put a bit of cloth tape on so ththere is no chance of loosing them.

Click image to enlarge

Drill 2 small hoses into the caps to be removed to turn them out with pointy nosed pliers, otherwise there is a fair chance of snapping them off. Use a pin vise for the drill so not to drill a hole through & scratch the car.
Click image to enlarge

The nut to remove from the front mounting hole requires a 21mm socket. I found it very tight & not much thickness to the bolt to grip on & it is not worth slipping & scratching the car. Buy a socket & T handle if you don't have one or look in a second hand shop.
Click image to enlarge

Don't be tempted to use the wheel wrench. It is the correct size but it has rounded edges & will slip off the bolt & bug_er it up, then you are in a real mess!
Click image to enlarge

Installing the roof rails is not difficult, but take your time & do it over the weekend so you have time to paint & seal everything properly. & not scratch the car while installing.

Also the front casting mounted to the roof may need a bit of packing into the extruded aluminium rails. I have to remove my front left casting as there is a lot of unpleasant creaking over rough roads. The sound goes through the whole car.

If your rails didn't come with instructions, I have them in PDF format. PM a message! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #345664 23rd Mar 2018 9:27 pm
Lightwater

I stumbled across this. So if you have Land Rover Roof Rails & the appropriate cross bars you can stick 100kg on the roof. Probably still gross weight. That gives me a lot more capacity as I am using 2 sets (4) of cross bars, over the 64 kg net weight with one set of cross bars.

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #345827 25th Mar 2018 2:59 pm
ugg

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Buckingham Blue

GEAT BIG THANX to Lightwater Thumbs Up Thumbs Up[/size] Don't wait for your Ship to come in.. Swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing (Barry Sheene)

Freelander HSE LUX SD4 2013 (6000 miles in..)
Discovery 300tdi 1998 (gone to the rust God) but not forgotten
Range Rover Autobiography 4.6 2000
Disco 200tdi
Defender 90 52 reg TD5
Hyundai Terracan 2004(my mud plugger)
Kawasaki KLZ 1000 2012
Suzuki T500 1970 (my Honey)

Post #345977 27th Mar 2018 1:19 pm
Lightwater

It would be a good idea to replace the screw holding on the middle bracket to the extrusion with some M6 20mm with the end ground off & Nyloc nuts, before you install the roof rails. Comments down the thread a bit: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic31435.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #346038 28th Mar 2018 8:44 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12