Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > How dated really is the FL2...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Lightwater wrote:
One looks like a 4WD & the other looks like a hatchback!
Click image to enlarge

Thank you for this comparative picture. I didn't realise how insignificant the DS appears next to the FL2.

If I had to choose which one was a Land Rover 4x4 - there's no contest! FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #344879 13th Mar 2018 8:19 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Steve D wrote:
I can imagine the same conversations took place amongst FL1 owners when the FL2 came out. No doubt you’ll all change your opinions the day after you no longer are FL2 owners and see the light ......... Whistle Laughing

But a lot of us saw the DS and moved on to something else instead. The D4 was just like a FL2, just much more so! Rolling Eyes Unfortunately, the general DS malaise then moved upwards and has now had a similar affect on the full size Discovery too Sad

While we are at it, the DS is no “FL3”. The DS hasn’t yet earned that kind of accolade!

Post #344881 13th Mar 2018 8:52 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Another comparison:

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #344906 14th Mar 2018 2:47 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

It’s amazing how those two cars share absolutely nothing under the skin, yet look so very similar.

Post #345185 17th Mar 2018 7:51 am
ronp

Scotland 

Totally agree with the above and sadly that is the last of the "true" Land Rover branding.

Things really started to change when little Miss Evoque came to the party, she then brought along her bulbous Chelsea friends - Dr RRS, Master DS & Mr D5.
Oh and don't hold out much hope of Mr Defender gate crashing in his beard and love of real ale, he'll have been carstrated and now have a penchant for Martini and all things pink. Rolling Eyes

Very sad on the demise of this once wonderful & iconic brand.
(All because of that poncy McGovern git!)

Sad FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #345195 17th Mar 2018 9:54 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Lightwater wrote:
Another comparison:
Click image to enlarge

Since Ive had my Freelander Ive been thinking that the Mk1 RR Sport is completely irrelevant, in 2.7 Tdv6 form, (Sdv6 and TDV8 are a different story)
The 2.7 has roughly the same power and torque as an Sd4 Freelander. It is no bigger inside and not really that much better equipped.
The only benefits that I can think of are the low range box and the 3 1/2 ton towing ability, other than those you're better off in a Freelander (And you look less like a drug dealer or footballer as well.
Dont get me wrong, Im not knocking the RR Sport, its a lovely car and I'd happily own one but it doesnt do anything that I need that my Freelander doesent Bow down Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #345200 17th Mar 2018 10:09 am
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

Thats just the thing though, you can have your car with all the gadgets your phone has, but why when it's already on your phone.

I don't want my car to go onto the web and connect to snap-monkey, tweedledum or Facenumpty to receive messages or texts while I am driving, I just want it to get me, it's occupants and caravan (when needed) comfortably and safely anywhere I want to go and the freely does just that, brilliantly.

it's a comfy car, taxi, rugged van, tractor or any other kind of car you could want all in one nice neat package.

Job done.

Oh and did I say it is reliable ..................  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #345285 18th Mar 2018 4:10 pm
theglassman

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Spot-on there, chap, particularly with the last comment. I’ve now had 10 years FL2 motoring - pulling trees out of the river, towing, off-roading etc., as well as brilliant, comfy and safe main road driving. The only fault over that time was a failed injector.
Still love ‘em to bits!

Click image to enlarge
 I've decided to stop being a good example and will now just be a terrible warning.....
2008 TD4HSE - gone but much loved.
2014MY SD4 Metropolis - very much loved.

Post #345287 18th Mar 2018 4:26 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Lightwater wrote:

Since Ive had my Freelander Ive been thinking that the Mk1 RR Sport is completely irrelevant, in 2.7 Tdv6 form, (Sdv6 and TDV8 are a different story)
The 2.7 has roughly the same power and torque as an Sd4 Freelander. It is no bigger inside and not really that much better equipped.
The only benefits that I can think of are the low range box and the 3 1/2 ton towing ability, other than those you're better off in a Freelander (And you look less like a drug dealer or footballer as well.
Dont get me wrong, Im not knocking the RR Sport, its a lovely car and I'd happily own one but it doesnt do anything that I need that my Freelander doesent Bow down

The first modern LR that I travelled in was the back seat of a Mk1 RRS. To be fair, the back seat was much more spacious than the FL2 and there is certainly more width in the front, while the air suspension is very nice to have. It also has a great deal more ground clearance, although the light weight and compact dimensions of the FL2 are big advantages off road Thumbs Up

Post #345300 18th Mar 2018 7:46 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

ronp wrote:
Totally agree with the above and sadly that is the last of the "true" Land Rover branding.

Things really started to change when little Miss Evoque came to the party, she then brought along her bulbous Chelsea friends - Dr RRS, Master DS & Mr D5.
Oh and don't hold out much hope of Mr Defender gate crashing in his beard and love of real ale, he'll have been carstrated and now have a penchant for Martini and all things pink. Rolling Eyes

Sad

Absolutely!! Thumbs Up

There are a lot of people who are expecting big things of the new Defender, with a proper return to firm. However, all of the very recent evidence would point towards Gerry McGovern coming up with Barbie’s perfect Suzuki Vitara replacement Shocked

Post #350268 27th May 2018 8:07 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

ronp wrote:

Sad

Funnily enough, I had the same thoughts about my Austin 1100. It’s called evolution I’m afraid. Go with it - you will eventually anyway and then you’ll see the light. I can’t predict the future but I can guarantee that one day that you WILL say something along the lines of “This car is so much better that that Freelander 2 I used to have”. If we didn’t embrace change, the LR fraternity would still be going around in Series ones. Presumably your previous 4x4 that you were driving round in was always known to you as the second best thing since sliced bread? Laughing Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #350272 27th May 2018 9:11 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

What a great example, thank you! Thumbs Up

Even 45 years later, the Austin 1100 is still a handsome car and the Austin Allegro is still pig ugly. No amount of fashion following is going to change that Laughing

Add on: In fact, there are a lot of parallels between Harris Mann and Gerald McGovern: Both see the future as being different, but neither could see where it was going and wandered off down their own styling dead end (wedge Vs. soap bar) and both blame others when it doesn’t work - Mann blamed everyone but himself for the Allegro, while McGovern blamed the dealers for fitting “ugly numberplates” Laughing

Last edited by Tigger on 27th May 2018 10:21 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #350274 27th May 2018 9:24 am
ronp

Scotland 

Steve D wrote:
It’s called evolution I’m afraid. Go with it - you will eventually anyway and then you’ll see the light.

I'm all for evolution....... but not revolution!
I like how the LR brand has "evolved" over the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's & 00's.
But I don't like the "revolution" of the LR brand over the recent 10's.
So based on that, I don't really think it's me that needs to 'see the light'. Confused FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #350277 27th May 2018 9:56 am
Mowog

Tigger wrote:
ronp wrote:

Sad

Absolutely!! Thumbs Up

There are a lot of people who are expecting big things of the new Defender, with a proper return to firm. However, all of the very recent evidence would point towards Gerry McGovern coming up with Barbie’s perfect Suzuki Vitara replacement Shocked

And even more people who aren't expecting big things of the new Defender Rolling with laughter

Post #350278 27th May 2018 10:01 am
Mowog

Steve D wrote:
ronp wrote:

Sad

Funnily enough, I had the same thoughts about my Austin 1100. It’s called evolution I’m afraid. Go with it - you will eventually anyway and then you’ll see the light. I can’t predict the future but I can guarantee that one day that you WILL say something along the lines of “This car is so much better that that Freelander 2 I used to have”. If we didn’t embrace change, the LR fraternity would still be going around in Series ones. Presumably your previous 4x4 that you were driving round in was always known to you as the second best thing since sliced bread? Laughing

Well I sold my Metropolis when it was 1 year old thinking something else would suit me better.
Then spent the next couple of years regretting the decision.
That's why I just bought another with under 7k miles on it, to be honest I would have paid new price again for it.
Now I am happy.......I have a car which suits ME. Thumbs Up

Post #350279 27th May 2018 10:06 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>