Home > General > problem with terrian selection (snowmode) on start up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kiwi2

United Kingdom 
problem with terrian selection (snowmode) on start up

hi

New to the group but hoping someone can help. Had my fl2 for a year now and I love it although its just started acting strange.
Used it in the recent snow we had (it was brilliant)with snow mode selected and now every time I start the car it selects snow mode. I'm able to reselect normal mode but soon as I switch the car off and on it selects snow mode again. I've disconnected the battery for a while but no joy.

Post #344919 14th Mar 2018 8:59 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Hi

what model/year FL2 do you have ? earlier models benefit from an additional earth lead (search on here) later models 2013> have the extra earth from factory.

have you tried disconnecting both +ive and -ve terminals of the battery and holding them together for 10 mins, then reconnecting (make sure you disconnect/reconnect in the right order)
this is referred to on here as a 'hard reset' and will discharge all the systems of any residual charge and codes back to defaults.

Post #344925 14th Mar 2018 9:14 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Age of car ! miles on car ! age of battery ! did you hold those battery leads together for 10 minutes? Have you got a second earth lead ? Gen 3 or Gen 4 Haldex ? Button type switch or press type switch ?

If we were all clairvoyants on here we would be picking lottery numbers before dealing with so little background information Laughing FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #344926 14th Mar 2018 9:19 am
kiwi2

United Kingdom 

Hi sorry for the lack of info

just wondered if it was a common fault.

yr 2007
manual box
2.2 diesel
dial type selection for terrian

ive disconnected the battery and put the terminals together with no joy.
I'm not sure if it has the added earth lead. I'll check when I get home

Many thanks

Post #344937 14th Mar 2018 10:18 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

probably doesn't have the extra earth lead, normally retro fitted from the -ve terminal to the starter motor or gearbox earth point.

you will have a gen3 Haldex as its a 2007 model

sounds like you need a reflash of software which is normally main dealer or you could pose the question to Austen @Bell engineering here on the forum who is a FL2 transmission genius

Post #344942 14th Mar 2018 10:40 am
Yorky Bob

Being in the Midlands if you get no further on here go and speak too and find Austen at Bell Engineering. He is the guru with all things Haldex and will be fair on price if it need repairs.

http://www.bellengineering.co.uk/

I came all the way from Yorkshire to just get my Haldex serviced with him as have many others. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #344943 14th Mar 2018 10:43 am
theglassman

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Hi... for what it’s worth, my SD4 Metropolis just did the same thing after ‘the beast etc”. I just flicked through the special settings a few times - back and forth, re-starting the engine each time and after a few goes, it’s back to normal.
All the best I've decided to stop being a good example and will now just be a terrible warning.....
2008 TD4HSE - gone but much loved.
2014MY SD4 Metropolis - very much loved.

Post #344982 14th Mar 2018 8:47 pm
Hippo

United Kingdom 

Shorting the battery cables together to drain out any residual electrical energy is bad practice. It's dangerous as the sudden discharged current can damage to electronics. Hence the spark. All you need to do is disconnect the battery and the power in the car will be used up quickly within seconds. The risk of damaging yer car is significantly reduced this way and has the same effect.

edit: leave the side lights on when disconnecting the battery if yer want to watch the power drain away. Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Last edited by Hippo on 17th Mar 2018 10:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #344999 15th Mar 2018 1:45 am
kiwi2

United Kingdom 
FIXED

FIXED!!

First I removed the battery leads for about 1 hr (previously done this for 10mins) then reconnected them. Still had same fault.

Then I made up a new additional earth lead like suggested and connected the -ve to the gearbox. Still had the fault.

I then replaced the battery with a new one started the car and it was in snow mode still. Then I selected normal mode and switched it off and then restarted and BINGO normal mode stayed. been on several journeys since and all is good.

(JUST TO ADD.. AT NO POINT HAD I HAD ANY ISSUES STARTING THE CAR WITH MY OLD BATTERY)

Last edited by kiwi2 on 15th Mar 2018 10:03 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #345013 15th Mar 2018 9:28 am
Yorky Bob

Great news. Thumbs Up

As for spark and discharge a tail light bulb with 2 wires soldered on can sort that out, one lead to neg anywhere with good earthand the the other to pos lead end.

A low old battery is a weak spot. Hence mine was changed (when cheaper in October) at 5.5 years. Once blew an alternator coming off holidays in Winter when starting a car with a low battery so I do it sooner than later. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #345018 15th Mar 2018 9:49 am
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Yorky Bob wrote:
Being in the Midlands if you get no further on here go and speak too and find Austen at Bell Engineering. He is the guru with all things Haldex and will be fair on price if it need repairs.

http://www.bellengineering.co.uk/

I came all the way from Yorkshire to just get my Haldex serviced with him as have many others.

Hey Bob
how many miles had your FL done when you had the Haldex serviced? did it need doing or was it a peventative measure?
Deciding if i should have mine serviced at 42k (2014my) - just in case?

Post #345052 15th Mar 2018 7:46 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

As far as LR is concerned the Haldex is sealed for life! Rolling Eyes

Volvo / Audi service them around 40,000 miles IIRC. MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #345054 15th Mar 2018 8:03 pm
Yorky Bob

Purely preventative but the dealers never stopped it grabbing quite often when in warranty.

In my humble opinion for those that intend to keep these cars they will benefit having filters done every 40K. Easiest way is to take it out so you may as well then do a proper inspection. For me being retired I made it into a trip of going to see Austen at Bell as real ale pub there that does B&B and a good curry house in the large village. Next time will be circa 18 months away so I will do the same and by then the Mrs will have finished work so we can cruise on a bit further.

Those on a really tight budget or time constraints ignore the above and stick to Land Rovers 10 year plan and hope. Cost may even out anyways if it goes down and you then get a refurbed unit off Bell. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #345056 15th Mar 2018 8:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1