« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 42000 mile service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White
42000 mile service

I picked up my 2014 TD4 2 weeks ago and it had (or did it?) a service beforehand at a BMW garage.
The service sheet showed it had an oil + filter change, air filter change and new rear discs+pads.
I checked the air filter and brakes and they were new but i don't know what oil they used and it looks like they didn't change the brake fluid (should be changed at 3rd service which this was as previous owner missed it), and also the power steering fluid is just above the min line.

I'm thinking about going to a LR indy and having another oil + filter change for piece of mind and also a brake fluid change and p/ steering top up.
Should i also ask for a haldex filter and oil change or is it too early for that and is there anything else i should think about?

I just want this car to last so would rather do things early before things fail but don't want to throw money away on things that don't need doing.

Post #343818 2nd Mar 2018 8:09 pm
Longdave

United Kingdom 

Brake fluid contamination will be an MOT failure item after 20 May. That said the new rules require inspection without removing reservoir cap, the check is for discoloured fluid as viewed through transparent reservoir - seems rather subjective.

Post #343828 2nd Mar 2018 10:17 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

I think you are worrying for nothing regarding the engine oil the BMW dealer changed the air filter sorted the brakes why would he not have changed the oil ? As for the brake fluid not many change it @ 3 yrs. if I were you just enjoy the car & if it bothers you change it next service. Thumbs Up

Post #343849 3rd Mar 2018 9:31 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

The main reason for changing the brake fluid is water contamination as the fluid absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. You can buy a tester on eBay for about a fiver which gives an instant indication and is what my indie used. I bought one and tested all the cars in the family, all were OK except my son's Porsche 911 so we changed the fluid on that one (with 6 piston calipers it took loads of fluid) 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #343855 3rd Mar 2018 10:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1