« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Police HGVs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

axle wrote:
Yes I am RogB, have been for 30 years, I'd like a pound for every mile I've done Very Happy
That's the point I was trying to make, just a bit Censored off that Dave47 singled us out, like to see how many car drivers could drive a artic let alone pass a LGV test which makes a car test look easy!
Idiots everywhere. Shocked

wrong I didn't single you out as an LGV driver, my comment was on the original idea of the high truck cabs being able to see and film into other truck cabs, this was first used in Kent as a means to stop the blatant flouting of safe driving on the roads,
when you've been on road/lane closure and had vehicles driving into the coned areas at speed simply because they've not noticed the signage, cones or flashing lights, then I'm happy with the methods used to catch the bad drivers
My apologies axle if you feel offended, there was none intended.
Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #342295 13th Feb 2018 8:44 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

No apology needed Dave and no offence taken, everybody has there right to there opinions.
It's just you only mentioned HGV's not all the other idiots out there and I reacted. As a professional driver i'm all for more police on the roads, no objection to speed cameras where the should be, not the ones solely for raising money, in my opinion all motorways/dual carriageways should have there cameras on all the time with the speed set at 74mph, if you get caught then you weren't paying attention to the road, i'm fine with the ones that can tell it's a LGV and knows that if it goes over 60mph then it's speeding. people aren't learning so stronger measures are needed. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #342307 13th Feb 2018 11:26 pm
Bibendum

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Indus Silver

Great idea, but I feel sorry for the poor sods who have to drive them "unit only" all day. The brakes and suspension just aren't set up for that and they drive like dogs.

Quite quick with 500 bhp and no limiter though Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Post #342368 14th Feb 2018 10:27 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Very true, nightmare in the wet. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #342377 15th Feb 2018 7:33 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I remember when I moved up to class 1 from class 2 (or whatever they are called now Laughing )

started off just in the rig, designed to pull a 40 ton trailer.... it was like Censored off a shovel and all over the shop if we weren't careful. Even with the 40ft flatbed trailer on for the rest of the week the trailer brakes kept locking up as they had no weight on.

Lets hope the Police HGV drivers are as good as they claim Very Happy

Post #342380 15th Feb 2018 8:06 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

axle wrote:
For the record they are LGV,s, have been for years.
I think they are a good idea but it seems like people think it's just to catch truckers, wrong, they can now see the things I've seen car drivers doing for years, eating, reading, writing, using phones and lap tops, reading maps, getting changed, having sex, putting on make-up, drinking, yes same things happen in trucks, we are the same as you and do the same things, for every thing I've seen a trucker do wrong and there are loads I've seen 100 car drivers do the same, on a motorway we can do 60mph but have a limiter set for 56mph + or -, so who speeds the most? highest speeds go to motor bikers, majority of speeders are car drivers. yes I know you've see a truck doing 70mph, not a limiter in the world to stop a 44t truck over running down hill, and have a look at there reg plates and see how many are GB, there are loads who ignore the driving time etc, but most don't, the fines are very high we can loose our licence and thus are jobs, cars don't have any record of speeding once they have slowed down we have for years on a tacho.
So before slagging us off check your own house first.
live and let live.

I'll go and hide in a corner now.

I agree, drivers of all types of vehicle get up to the same things.

One good thing about the unmarked LGVs is that the crew can look down into cars to see the driver texting with his/her phone on their lap which would be out of sight from another car. So often I see drivers texting and the biggest clue is that they can't keep to the centrre of their lane and move from side to side.

J

PS: of course there are other distractions while driving.

Post #342397 15th Feb 2018 10:33 am
Largered

Yes, sometimes I wish I had requested 'The Royal Pack' when ordering my Range Rover. Laughing

Post #342405 15th Feb 2018 11:40 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12