CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
Police HGVs

Interesting article

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-sup...-motorways

Post #342210 13th Feb 2018 8:12 am
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

I know this will probably lead to some heated debates by some, but I am all for the use of unmarked Police vehicles of any sort to enforce traffic regulations. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #342211 13th Feb 2018 8:33 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

but think back to the days of marked Police patrol cars on the motorways, there was always a 69-71mph exclusion zone for several miles around the marked car and everyone resorted to text book driving.

now you don't where they are as they in unmarked cars with concealed cameras and blue lights, and yet more people are caught speeding and driving dangerously.

yes... I know that not knowing where unmarked cars are should make drivers drive properly all the time to be on the safe side but human nature ensures that doesn't happen

yes... there is a place for unmarked patrol cars as sometimes covert techniques are needed for certain situations

but... unmarked patrol cars should not be deployed as a matter of routine as marked patrol cars are massively more effective in prolonged conformity to traffic regulations.

It costs no more to deploy a marked car than it does an unmarked one but the marked cars don't generate as much revenue in the form of fines as everyone is driving properly around them.

Post #342222 13th Feb 2018 9:32 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I think we need to have both marked and unmarked cars in sufficient numbers on our roads.

J

Post #342229 13th Feb 2018 10:32 am
RogB

agreed, but at the moment the main highways are just HATO and unmarked which are no real deterrent to speeders and idiot drivers.

maybe have 4 marked and 1 unmarked to cover what 5 unmarked are covering now as an example.

Post #342231 13th Feb 2018 10:50 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

How many cars do we see with headlights faulty etc. Marked cars work and can pay for themselves with fines but the political will to do it is not there. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #342232 13th Feb 2018 10:51 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

We've had the Police "unmarked trucks" here in Kent for months now and the amount of illegal HGV's that are pulled is high,
not just phones it's been using laptops watching films, eating meals and even reading a book!
also a number of the HGV's once stopped are found to have faults regarding tyres and lights plus excess hours,
so for me I'm more than happy to know the unmarked vehicles are pulling them off our roads,
Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #342235 13th Feb 2018 11:40 am
Ginna104

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e Sport Manual Lago Grey

There’s one on the m62 in west yorks I noticed him yesterday. !! Bit sly really !!

Post #342237 13th Feb 2018 12:06 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

For the record they are LGV,s, have been for years.
I think they are a good idea but it seems like people think it's just to catch truckers, wrong, they can now see the things I've seen car drivers doing for years, eating, reading, writing, using phones and lap tops, reading maps, getting changed, having sex, putting on make-up, drinking, yes same things happen in trucks, we are the same as you and do the same things, for every thing I've seen a trucker do wrong and there are loads I've seen 100 car drivers do the same, on a motorway we can do 60mph but have a limiter set for 56mph + or -, so who speeds the most? highest speeds go to motor bikers, majority of speeders are car drivers. yes I know you've see a truck doing 70mph, not a limiter in the world to stop a 44t truck over running down hill, and have a look at there reg plates and see how many are GB, there are loads who ignore the driving time etc, but most don't, the fines are very high we can loose our licence and thus are jobs, cars don't have any record of speeding once they have slowed down we have for years on a tacho.
So before slagging us off check your own house first.
live and let live.

I'll go and hide in a corner now. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #342258 13th Feb 2018 2:10 pm
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I think that they are using trucks because car drivers are not expecting them and the HGV driver has the ability to look down and into cars. According to the article they are with a police car which then stops the offending driver.

They appear not to be after the speeders but the idiots who do other idiotic / dangerous things.

Post #342261 13th Feb 2018 2:28 pm
RogB

axle wrote:
For the record they are LGV,s, have been for years.
I think they are a good idea but it seems like people think it's just to catch truckers, wrong, they can now see the things I've seen car drivers doing for years, eating, reading, writing, using phones and lap tops, reading maps, getting changed, having sex, putting on make-up, drinking, yes same things happen in trucks, we are the same as you and do the same things, for every thing I've seen a trucker do wrong and there are loads I've seen 100 car drivers do the same, on a motorway we can do 60mph but have a limiter set for 56mph + or -, so who speeds the most? highest speeds go to motor bikers, majority of speeders are car drivers. yes I know you've see a truck doing 70mph, not a limiter in the world to stop a 44t truck over running down hill, and have a look at there reg plates and see how many are GB, there are loads who ignore the driving time etc, but most don't, the fines are very high we can loose our licence and thus are jobs, cars don't have any record of speeding once they have slowed down we have for years on a tacho.
So before slagging us off check your own house first.
live and let live.

I'll go and hide in a corner now.

take it your a Yorkie bar man then Axle ? Laughing

a lot of car drivers are idiots, a lot of wagon drivers are idiots, and a lot of idiot wagon drivers are from foreign shores where they disappear back to very quickly if they are caught on camera etc. But there are also a fair share of GB truckers who can be idiots too.

Im not singling out any type of vehicle, nationality or anything, any type of idiot deserves to be pulled over.

marked vehicles are IMHO the best deterrent for stupid activities behind the wheel and for speeding, but unmarked vehicles do have a place on todays roads just not at the detriment of marked ones

Post #342264 13th Feb 2018 3:10 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

If it takes "unmarked" police vehicles,
to remove badly driven/maintained or illegal HGV's, LGV's,Cars or bikes off our roads, then I'm happy with it,
Dave DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #342267 13th Feb 2018 4:39 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Yes I am RogB, have been for 30 years, I'd like a pound for every mile I've done Very Happy
That's the point I was trying to make, just a bit Censored off that Dave47 singled us out, like to see how many car drivers could drive a artic let alone pass a LGV test which makes a car test look easy!
Idiots everywhere. Shocked Common sense isn't very common.

Post #342277 13th Feb 2018 5:36 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Strange thing , you watch TV , Traffic Cops , Police Interceptors etc , you could be forgiven for thinking that the boys in blue were all over the place . In real life I think they do those shows as propaganda . There are not enough Traffic cops ,

I would love to see more traffic plod on the road . When I was younger one of the biggest reasons you didn’t drive like a tool , was the omnipresent threat of a 3.5 Rover Jam Sandwich . In my mid life bike crisis , being pulled at silly speeds by a T5 battenburg ,driven by a big bloke with a beard , then and given a solid Censored with dire warnings was not unknown. .

Marked cars , unmarked , Trucks , bikes , helicopters , the more the better . It’s high time that real police with experience were there to sort out the miscreants not office based clerks looking at camera output . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #342285 13th Feb 2018 6:53 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

We goosed without trucks, the roads are for them really, the cars just have to make way as they can on the truck highways.

York trailers used to have a sticker, "If you've got it a truck brought it" At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #342292 13th Feb 2018 7:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>