« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Importing an FL2 into New Zealand from UK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue
Importing an FL2 into New Zealand from UK

Has anyone done this and what did they need to do to meet NZ regulations. I understand the car has to be converted to km and km/h. The speedo is dual mph/kph, but is it easy to change the odometer to km? Is there anything else to do and what were all the various costs (adjustments and government test/registration)

Thanks

Post #330849 11th Sep 2017 12:29 pm
anglaslt

Lithuania 2015 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

You can change the odometer in the settings and the digital speedometer can be set to kph. Will that be enough to keep the authorities happy?

My car has a UK speedometer and I reset mine to kms and kph. driving on the right side

Post #330855 11th Sep 2017 1:50 pm
DirtyDuck

I wasn't sure if I could change the kms myself.

This clearly will help. But I need to expand the question as the Authorities are not very helpful on the topic - they state something like "the car must comply with all New Zealand Legislation and it is your responsibility to find out what this is and to make the necessary changes before submitting for a test". They will tell you what it fails on, but not what it should pass before you take the test. So this will include things in addition to the odometer and speedometer.

I suspect if I can change everything to kms and kph it will be fine, but I'd like to know there isn't a huge penalty with some major engine modification needed (or even dash replacement)

Post #330862 11th Sep 2017 2:49 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

NZ gets most of its cars from Japan second hand to include FL2's. May not be worth your while as it probably will be taxed on arrival. Look on a NZ website called Trademe to see what is available (I have lived there and still visit and no one is paranoid about having this years model). FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #330863 11th Sep 2017 2:54 pm
DirtyDuck

That's a fair point, not to mention the cost of the container to get it there, although you can load the car and container with other stuff too.

But I wasn't sure about availability and price over there - we haven't moved yet - plan for next year. Not fussed about plate/age but if I have a good car with known history, cared for as it should be, I'd rather keep it. I rarely keep a car less than 10 years/100k miles and none have let me down in a big way, other than a raft of Vauxhalls that refused to last more than a year or two (all replaced under warranty). But once I get a car to three years old, they seem to last and last. I must be doing something right.

Post #330873 11th Sep 2017 3:28 pm
raywongu

New Zealand 

Her is some official information from the government,
It maybe of help

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/importing-a-vehicle/

Post #339989 20th Jan 2018 9:02 pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Looks like there are exemptions for vehicles being taken into the country by people who are emigrating to live there Thumbs Up

Post #340017 21st Jan 2018 11:37 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I just spent 2 weeks on the South Island and was surprised to see quite a few Freelander 2's. Most seemed to be petrol models. They have a funny system in NZ, petrol was around $2.10 per litre and diesel was about half that. However, you have to buy kilometres for diesel from designated points in packs of 1000. I'm not sure of the cost, the whole system seemed very strange. A lovely country to be sure, drive the road from Te Anau to Milford Sound, you won't regret it, better than any of the European Alps in my opinion.

Post #340022 21st Jan 2018 12:04 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Its called the Diesel Recovery Tax. All very complicated when hiring things for a short while like motor homes.

Just back myself yet again and down side is now the rest of the World have found the place. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #340044 21st Jan 2018 2:54 pm
DirtyDuck

DirtyDuck wrote:
That's a fair point, not to mention the cost of the container to get it there, although you can load the car and container with other stuff too.

But I wasn't sure about availability and price over there - we haven't moved yet - plan for next year. Not fussed about plate/age but if I have a good car with known history, cared for as it should be, I'd rather keep it. I rarely keep a car less than 10 years/100k miles and none have let me down in a big way, other than a raft of Vauxhalls that refused to last more than a year or two (all replaced under warranty). But once I get a car to three years old, they seem to last and last. I must be doing something right.

Thanks - that looks really helpful and what I was looking for.

A brief scan seems to indicate the main focus is emissions and front impact standards, and they reference EU emissions, so I can't see it being an issue.

I was concerned over speedo reading in MPH, but I can'tr see any reference to that, and as someone pointed out, I can quickly re-cal the digital speedo and mileage to read in kph/km, so I reckon it sounds quite easy.

One thing they don't mention, but I know will be an issue, is proper under-body cleaning. There are even regulations on cleaning walking boots for mud. So for a car like a freelander there must be some requirement to have given it a damned good clean. (In truth the mud gets in places you cannot clean as you will find if you remove certain parts).

Post #340071 21st Jan 2018 4:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1