Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Road feedback through the steerinng wheel - still present.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

What about replacing the power steering fluid? Like any oil, it wears out. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #338056 27th Dec 2017 5:02 pm
stoney

Any update on this? having recently purchased, I am experiencing the exact same problem.

Thanks

Post #338584 3rd Jan 2018 7:09 pm
kris-p

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

The car is booked in for early January for steering rack and steering fluid reservoir+filter replacement. I will report back once I have the car.

Last edited by kris-p on 4th Jan 2018 10:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #338598 4th Jan 2018 1:22 am
kris-p

Dono wrote:
Have you got a print out of the wheel alignment check ?

I don't have the print out, but alignment was done twice since the issue started, with no difference at all.

Post #338599 4th Jan 2018 1:24 am
kris-p

turboextreme wrote:
Rolling Eyes I would check the condition of the front suspension stabiliser anti roll link bars as the ball joints fail causing your described issue they cost around £9.00 each Thumbs Up

I assume my mechanic checked that when the car was in for dianosis, but can double check with him.
Nevertheless, since the steering rack replacement is covered under extended warranty, I don't mind having it replaced Smile

Post #338600 4th Jan 2018 1:27 am
kris-p

blacktiger wrote:
What about replacing the power steering fluid? Like any oil, it wears out.

This was done at the last service.
But about two years back, steering reservoir filter got clogged and I had to replace it (along with new steering fluid). This is a known issue. These particles clogging this filter are coming from the steering rack, which means it will eventually fail. if this is the case, I will see next week.

Post #338667 4th Jan 2018 10:47 pm
Thehorse

United Kingdom 

What tyre pressure are you running?

halfords massively overinflated mine when I got new tyres. Should be around 32psi from memory.

Edit...
Ps - looked at your video, seems fine to me. I'd much rather have feedback through the steering wheel to gauge the road surface than none at all. In fact it is a common complaint that some of the latest high performance sports cars that have gone to electric steering now lack steering feel.

Maybe the garage is taking advantage of your paranoia? Can you not go to a dealer and get a test drive of another Freelander to compare.

Post #338668 4th Jan 2018 10:59 pm
kris-p

It's quite difficult to explain using just words and video, the best way to demonstrate the issue would be driving the car, you would feel it straight away. It is not just the road feedback, it feels more like someone else is trying to steer the wheel left/right and I have to counter steer it using some force. It is not fun to drive it as I constantly have to keep correcting it to drive straight (if there are bumps in the road or just uneven surface). When I first got the car about 2,5 years ago, the steering felt much better, lighter, had a safer feeling, and not like now at all.
But as I wrote earlier, I will see next week.

I tried all different tyre pressures - 32 as recommended by LR, also 40 as recommended by tyre shop for the tyres I am using, and it makes no difference at all. Also, the mechanic road tested the car with completely different tyres, also no difference. I am using a local mechanic, not a dealer. Unfortunately, I don't have the option to drive different FL2 for comparison.

Post #338670 4th Jan 2018 11:22 pm
Lord Rich Tea Biscuit

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Following this subject with interest...

I can say that my own Freelander feels like it's doing this- I particularly notice it when jumping out of one of my work cars and start driving mine.
For the record, the cars I drive at work are all VW-derived: an Audi A6 allroad, a VW transporter and Seat Alhambra and their steering all feels very firm with little feedback from the road.

However, what I notice about the steering on the Freelander is that it sounds like proper hydraulically-assisted steering (I've driven Fords in the past and they all "moan" to some degree under the engine note- especially when at full-lock) whereas the VW-derived vehicles steering all seem to be completely silent until they reach full-lock (except the Transporter, which seems more like the above).
Would the feedback be the result of the difference in power-assisted steering systems?

In terms of our location, the roads from my house are all rubbish C-roads full of bumps, dips and potholes.

I am worrying a little that there is a problem, as it's MOT time at the end of the month... "We're in danger, we've got to get out."
"What are you talking about?"
"I've been called a ponce."

Post #338876 8th Jan 2018 11:13 am
kris-p

I have my car back from the garage. They replaced steering rack, replaced steering fluid reservoir, filter and flushed all lines and did wheel alignment.
After driving it for a while on my usual route to work, I can hapilly say that steering is back to normal, no excessive steering wheel jerking movements and no road feedback. Plus, steering feels a bit lighter at slow manouvering speeds than previously.

Post #338939 8th Jan 2018 11:45 pm
Lord Rich Tea Biscuit

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Don't tell me I need a new rack... Rolling Eyes

How much did that cost? "We're in danger, we've got to get out."
"What are you talking about?"
"I've been called a ponce."

Post #339016 9th Jan 2018 8:43 pm
kris-p

Not sure what the total amount was because it was replaced under extended warranty.
But I would say, unless it is really bothering you, I wouldn't worry about the replacement. For me it was very unconfortable to drive as the car basically didnt drive straight but was slightly trying to go left and right on bumps.

Post #339211 11th Jan 2018 8:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12