Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > United Kingdom > Cat D – What Do You Think?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

That no longer is the case I believe. Years ago if a car had a personalised plate transfered onto it and then had it removed when the car was sold DVLA issued a year appropriate number to the car(not its original number). For the last few years the car will always get its original number back unless a double transfer takes place. I.E the original number is transferred to another vehicle by the keeper at the same time as a personalised plate is transferred. 2 transfer fees are payable in such a case. When a car has its original number transfered back onto it that number cannot be in turn transfered off it in the future as the V5 has a note to that affect added to it. The car still can have a personalised plate transfered onto it.I believe that the changes were made as under the old system a HPI check "lost"the fact that a car was a write off or had finance outstanding when it got a different plate back after a cherished transfer.
It was a big problem a number of years ago as dodgy garages were buying cars from owners and promising to clear outstanding finance but did not do so but instead transfered a private plate on and off it in a short space of time and then sold it onto a new owner who did not realise that they were buying a vehicle that had outstanding finance due to the fact that it now had a different registration number and came up clear on a HPI check. Hope that all makes sense!

Post #338305 31st Dec 2017 2:57 pm
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

Off Topic Most interesting. The stuff you learn on this forum..!

I had a Citroen C5 Estate from new in 2003. It was originally LT03UHY. Then for a while I had my 200XMF plate on it (which is now on my Freelander) and then it had my wife's S200SOO on it. When we eventually sold it, it became SY03GHG. It wouldn't be easy to trace the history of that car! Currently enjoying:
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS (SOLD)
2013 BMW X3 20D M-Sport Auto
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #338317 31st Dec 2017 6:35 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Interestingly it was still Mot`d until a couple of weeks ago!

Post #338324 31st Dec 2017 6:55 pm
SkyeGuy

Scotland 

Still Off Topic

Yes - I found that ... Very Happy But if you check the DVLA 'Check MOT history' for SY03GHG, there is nothing showing after February 2011, which is when I sold the car.

I don't think I understand how the DVLA history checks work. Currently enjoying:
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS (SOLD)
2013 BMW X3 20D M-Sport Auto
2007 Jaguar XK 4.2 Coupe

Post #338325 31st Dec 2017 7:03 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Back to insurance write offs.....

My LR Approved Evoque was found, by a different LR dealer during warranty work, to have been in an accident and badly repaired.

It had clearly had a new bonnet, nearside wing, and possible new front passenger door, all badly resprayed but polished well by LR to hide the poor paint job. The underside front bumper was badly scraped and the inside edge of the nearside front alloy was badly dented.... and yet it still 'passed' LR approved 165 point inspection.

It wasn't recorded as CAT D or CAT C so had been done up on the cheap to keep it away from the write offs registry.

I did a deal with the LR dealer to change into my current FL2 after 7 months (3 of those spent in workshops), and they subsequently sold it on presumably to trade or auction. Its still on the road and just passed MOT in November

reg was YR62 TMX black Evoque pure spec with 20'' wheels..... watch out for it and steer clear !!

Post #338410 2nd Jan 2018 8:38 am
Bibendum

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Indus Silver

More worryingly, a local bodyshop that does work for main dealers regularly has brand new unregistered cars in that have suffered "transporter damage". The last one I saw was having a new boot lid and rear bumper,

Wonder if that was sold on as "new"? Shocked

Post #338413 2nd Jan 2018 9:01 am
Mudstuck

United Kingdom 

Errr, having worked at 2 main dealer's I can definitely say yes

Post #338417 2nd Jan 2018 9:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12