Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > HDC problems - Starting issues - Extra Earth Lead Fix
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 16 <123 ... 1213 141516>
Print this entire topic · 
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The best earth route for starter efficiency is a direct connection between battery negative to starter bolt by the shortest route. The earth to body fails on this because it relies on further joints to effect a circuit. i.e. Body to gearbox, gearbox to engine, engine to starter. All of which build in resistance. In addition it has been known for the original earth lead to be poorly made and having its own built in resistance. To prove the point, LR themselves fitted the extra earth lead on later models.

Not sure however why you have chosen the circuitous route for the cable. (Apart from having an existing item) Mine goes the shortest route, direct from battery to starter, following other wiring, above the gearbox.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #321739 19th Apr 2017 6:33 am
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Quote:
Not sure however why you have chosen the circuitous route for the cable. (Apart from having an existing item) Mine goes the shortest route, direct from battery to starter, following other wiring, above the gearbox.

Hi Bob.
Once again thank you for your reply, yes the reason I took the route above in the photo's was because I had a cable in my spares box, it is quite long so that route looked to be the tidiest way Smile I will later today now fix it in situ cheers Arctic

Post #321748 19th Apr 2017 8:04 am
Arctic

Fitted the earth strap today, went for a short ride to the post office, 3 miles the most when I pulled back on the drive there was a burning smell coming from the engine bay, electrical burning smell I need to tack this down asap, surely there is no way adding another earth strap could cause this? I have a feeling it maybe the alternator, hopefully not Shocked

Post #321827 19th Apr 2017 8:44 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

New belts. Can the alternator belt be set too tight on a FL2 and stress the belt and bearings ? If so that could throw burn smells. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #321829 19th Apr 2017 9:30 pm
Arctic

Quote:
New belts. Can the alternator belt be set too tight on a FL2 and stress the belt and bearings ? If so that could throw burn smells.

Hi Bob.
The new auxiliary belt was fitted to the pulleys that were already on the car so self tension, I have a feeling it maybe just that the alternator as had it's day, and a new belt as found it's weakness, a little more investigation is required I think.

Last edited by Arctic on 1st May 2017 5:42 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #321908 20th Apr 2017 10:43 pm
Bobfog

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
Re: HDC problems - Starting issues - Extra Earth Lead Fix

oldgeezer wrote:
Well, well, well

Glad to see on the new model now LR have now been fitting an extra earth strap from the battery to the starter bolt on the bell housing as standard factory fit !

Strange but true Thumbs Up

Is this to say that MY13 Freelander 2 models have the extra strap from the factory?

Post #322642 30th Apr 2017 8:08 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

True! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #322647 30th Apr 2017 10:09 pm
Richard H

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Well. I put an earth strap from the battery negative to the transfer box AND to one of the 3 bolts holding the Starter motor onto the engine .... and it seems to be working ..... it got down to -7 oC in the Alps back in April ... and the car stared well .... job done ! Thumbs Up Freelander 2 HSE. Santorini Black. Roof Rack, Running Board, Auto.

Post #323543 17th May 2017 6:25 pm
G5TEF

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue
Intermittent Starting help needed!!!

New to a forum but need help!
My mum has a Freelander 2 2.2 SE 2008 only 38000 miles.
Up until last year she has never had a problem (owned for 6years) it went into our local Land Rover Dealer for common bearing-diff issue and whilst it was in there they noticed an issue and replaced the throttle body hose as it was leaking.
Ever since it has been in the garage it has had an intermittent starting fault. Sometimes it starts fine, other times it takes 10-15mins. The brake pedal goes hard and some times no lights on the dash, some times lights.
They had it back in for an inspection and said it was a soft ware issue as the crash sensor said it had had 200 cashes or something silly. However this didn't fix the issue! It has been back in since saying no faults have come up and there is nothing wrong! I have had a couple of months of it been fine not too bad and now it's starting again and getting worse!

Any ideas?
Also how can they know their was a software issue and say they have fixed it, then it goes in with the same fault and nothing is wrong?

Thank you xxx

Post #324250 30th May 2017 1:52 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

As said in this thread if it hasn't got the extra earth strap I would fit it,also they should have checked the battery but maybe get it checked somewhere else,then usual stuff all connections should be clean and tight from battery to alternator.

Post #324273 30th May 2017 5:15 pm
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver
Dead battery

Back to haunt me again cleaning the seats doors open for around three hours,no lights on flat battery.

Post #324783 8th Jun 2017 7:00 am
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

Decided to do this mod a while ago. Every so often getting the "reduced traction" message, always seemed to be if the battery was a bit low, e.g. lots of short trips, cold weather, lights etc, or I'd spent some time parked with lights on or doors open and interior lights on. A session with the ctek or a decent run seemed to reduce the problem frequency.

So with a 7 year old battery, that I knew wouldn't be in any sort of decent nick next winter did this in two stages. First second earth lead, from battery to gearbox housing near to starter motor. Amazing how much quicker it turned over, and despite taking the mick regarding battery charge no issues so far.

New battery on now, fingers crossed it's all seemingly sorted.

Second earth strap definitely recommended.

Post #325287 16th Jun 2017 6:47 pm
HarryD

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

I have the ABS, DSC and brake warning lights on. The display is also show HDC faulty. I've had my 57 reg. FL2 for 6 years. Any suggestions please.

Post #337654 20th Dec 2017 7:27 pm
Horsemaddad

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Hello Harry D, had this on mine recently. Turned out to be corroded wiring to one of the rear ABS sensors. I'm sure a fault code reader will yield some further clues if you have a friendly garage or auto electrician. Good luck, Colin.

Post #345620 23rd Mar 2018 9:59 am
Gillrad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Baltic Blue

hi landrover fitted a second earth cable new battery and alternator to try to fix my hdc fault but problem persists. some times when I try to start my freelander StD4e fob docked and cluch pressed the engine brings up HDC fault system failiure, temp gauge goes to top of gauge and sometimes fuel guage stays at the bottom and fuel low alarm sounds, fuel is cut off and hazards are auto put on, landrover say the car thinks it has had a crash, they have tried to fix for the last 3 years ?

Post #348682 1st May 2018 12:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 13 of 16 <123 ... 1213 141516>