Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Goodyear Wrangler HP All-Weather - is it All-Season ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Goodyear Wrangler HP All-Weather - is it All-Season ?

Im a little confused.

Is the Goodyear Wrangler HP All-Weather an all-season tyre or not.

On the Goodyear site it is listed as a summer tyre , yet in the accompanying blurb it says

"Exceptional performance all year as the name suggests, this tyre is prepared for all seasons. ..."

On Blackcircles its listed as an All-Season tyre (incidentally there is 25% off if you buy 4 at the moment)

If its not an a true all-weather tyre then would an Avon ZX7 perform any worse in wintry conditions than the Wrangler HP ?
The Avon ZX7 perfoms much better in the wet test than the Wrangler HP(grade A vs C) and I'm wondering if the ZX7 would out-perform the Wrangler Hp in winter too ? Jules

Post #337088 11th Dec 2017 5:59 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

The wranglers don't have the snow mountain symbol on the side so are not winter tyres. They're not great on ice where proper winter tyres, driven sensibility, feel like driving on a normal road. This is more notable when braking.

They are however M+S:

"Mud and snow tires are all-season tires which have been approved for use in both muddy and snowy conditions by the Rubber Manufacturer's Association"

I have Wrangler HPs on my FL2 and can happily get the back out. I've driven other LR products on ice with and without winter tyres, there is a notable difference. But in the UK if you get to the point of needing winters in town, you're more than likely to get hit by an idiot on warn out summers, or find the road impassable due to RWD BMWs 🤣

Post #337098 11th Dec 2017 8:01 pm
BadBuy

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tonga Green

I have recently been communication with Michelin on the subject of winter/summer/all-season tyres relative to my choice on my F2...

Essentially if you can afford them buy the best winter tyres for winter performance. However, despite many all-season and 4-season tyres only having M&S, and not the 3-peak mountain symbol (more suitable for below 7celsius) they can get you through some extreme weather conditions. Obviously rubber compound and tread are the keys issues, with the 3-peak mountain range of tyres beng more efficient and effective on hard ice. Braking is the deal clincher.

My experience this last month has been with Goodyear Wranglers, not new and only M&S marked. Last year on the Freelander was with Michelin lattitude cross which I've just renewed all-round for this winter. Both tyre brands were exceptional in the snow.

Can't comment this year on the F2 in the snow with new tyres as the damn thing is still in the garage Mad . However, I live at 1130m altitude and drove 9kms through 30 cms of snow on Goodyear Wranglers with chains on the back just at the start of this month. Even managed to drive through a 50m patch where it became realy deep....

Funny thing was, just about 1km from my first day at a new job the snow plough drove up behing me Rolling with laughter

Post #337346 16th Dec 2017 7:01 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I’ve used a lot of Avon tyres for many years and was a real fan when you used to be able to phone them up and speak directly to someone who really knew what they were talking about Thumbs Up They’ve recently put a stop that though Big Cry

The ZX7 is strictly a summer use road tyre, with no off road / winter / mud capability at all. It’s excellent at what it does, but it’s really only suited to cars that will never leave nice warm tarmac Sad This May apply to some Land Rovers but, realistically, think BMW.

Post #337349 16th Dec 2017 7:16 am
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Based on the last few days around here, the Goodyear Wranglers are pretty entertaining on ice, and by entertaining I mean a little bit petrifying!

Given how good they've proven in mud, snow, grassy fields and dragging other cars out of the same, I'll happily stick with them. Costs are excellent, wear rate is good, they are a little noisy and could be more economical but I really can't be bothered to have a set of fair and not so fair weather tyres so i'll keep doing 25,000 miles a year on these.

Post #337362 16th Dec 2017 11:05 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1