Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Clunk! Driveline play somewhere?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lord Rich Tea Biscuit

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Clunk! Driveline play somewhere?

I have a bit of an issue that's starting to bug me...

My manual Freelie has done over 170,000 miles and celebrated it's 10th birthday earlier this year.
I've had it since September last year (2016) and while I didn't notice it to start with, there seems to be a "clunk" occurring somewhere down the driveline...

When I accelerate through the gears, obviously the foot eases off the throttle, I push the clutch pedal down, move the stick to the next gear, and raise the clutch up again.
Now, when I raise the clutch pedal to re-engage the drive, more often than not (though, sometimes not) there will be a "clunk" sound as the drive is taken up.

It doesn't happen when downshifting or when easing or applying the throttle either.
If I catch the momentum right with the clutch, it doesn't happen, but it's not an easy drive.
Sometimes if I lift the clutch too slowly the "clunk" sound is sometimes prolonged.

It can't be the synchromesh, as it's not when I actually select a particular gear, and so must be down the driveline somewhere...

Is anyone else familiar with this problem?

I also get the juddery clutch issue at times too... why? Neutral "We're in danger, we've got to get out."
"What are you talking about?"
"I've been called a ponce."

Post #326339 30th Jun 2017 3:35 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Late cars have a issue of dings from probably the rear half shafts. Tried to get rid of it in warranty and finally turned up the stereo Rolling Eyes

Clutch judder in a young car can be brought on when oil gets on the clutch plate from a failed seal but at those sort of miles it will be needing some extra TLC I guess as in new clutch . Worth checking to see if any oil is gathering under the bell housing. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #326342 30th Jun 2017 4:50 pm
Lord Rich Tea Biscuit

Just a thought...
When I was lying underneath the car (attempting to have a look to see whether the air con drip hole was blocked) I noticed that I could twist the prop(?) shaft ever-so-slightly, resulting in a little "clink" when it took up the slack each way.
I have a strong feeling that this could be where that sound is coming from.
I assume there is meant to be this tiny amount of clearance here, although my Freelie has done in excess of 175,000 miles.

Is this normal? "We're in danger, we've got to get out."

Post #336999 10th Dec 2017 2:58 pm
rsash

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

Clunks from the driveshafts is a known problem, I had all replaced under warrantee and now all is quiet.
First thing dealers do is to Locktite the half shaft splines.

Post #337002 10th Dec 2017 4:16 pm
austen_fl2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Lord Rich Tea Biscuit wrote:
Just a thought...
When I was lying underneath the car (attempting to have a look to see whether the air con drip hole was blocked) I noticed that I could twist the prop(?) shaft ever-so-slightly, resulting in a little "clink" when it took up the slack each way.
I have a strong feeling that this could be where that sound is coming from.
I assume there is meant to be this tiny amount of clearance here, although my Freelie has done in excess of 175,000 miles.

Is this normal?

They all do this from new (the play, not clink) www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #337025 10th Dec 2017 8:08 pm
Lord Rich Tea Biscuit

The "clink" is the noise that occurs when the end of that "play" movement is reached- metal hitting metal, I guess.
As long as it's normal, I wont worry about it. "We're in danger, we've got to get out."

Post #337028 10th Dec 2017 8:33 pm
ace finan

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e Sport Manual Lago Grey

I have a similar issue since the cold weather recently. FL2 Sport SE 2.2. 90k miles

Had haldex and diff bearing done last year (June) so it was perfect for a while.

Garage who did work have looked at and heard the clunk/slumpmfh noise (occasionally a bit of a whirrrr) and it happens to varying degrees of noise loudness depending on if I am heavy/quick on the up with the clutch 1st to 2nd 2nd to 3rd. Okay in higher gears.
Very occasionally it happens in a lower noise level on the down ward change 2 to 1, 3 to 2.

They suggested similar to this thread that its take up in the drive line.

No noise before weather and wondered if some bushes/seals have perished a bit more than they in the cold.
I just hope its not gearbox/DMF or any other expensive gubbins.

Either way surely its someone has a fix? Must be some particular set of bushes or rubber wotsits having a bit of play?

Incidentally how much is replacing the drive to get rid of noise...and if not replaced does it cause significant problems later on?

Cheers

Ian

Post #345354 19th Mar 2018 3:59 pm
Lord Rich Tea Biscuit

I'm still suffering/living with it...
In a year or so it hasn't really got any worse, but I try and drive it without being too rough on the clutch. "We're in danger, we've got to get out."

Post #345737 24th Mar 2018 7:16 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
D

5 years and counting! It's rovers birthday today 🍺 FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #345747 24th Mar 2018 8:18 pm
Rich05uk

United Kingdom 

Iv just had the same clunk in the same situations, never properly sorted it however its now stopped, only thing I noticed is that my rear drivers tyre was low on air, due to a puncture, got this fixed and pressure back up and all seems back to normal, speaking to the guy who owns tyre place (also a engineer) and mentioning the clunk to him and he said it could well be to do with tyre pressure going too low and affecting rolling radius of tyre causing problems with diff/ driveline, so no real definitive fix but could be worth checking tyre pressure and balance.

Post #349438 13th May 2018 7:22 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1