Home > My Freelander 2 > flat battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ll54dog

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Buckingham Blue
flat battery

hi all
i have a 2008 freelander 2 and had left it parked for 3 days to find the battery totally dead?? nothing left on and have read this is a common fault, anyone any idea what to check first? thanks in advance and also the battery is totally fine and charging correctly, thanks again

Post #318438 27th Feb 2017 10:07 pm
littletriple

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I had a flat battery once a couple of years ago & never found out why. It happened overnight, LR assist attended & found no reason for it. Still have the same battery with no other issues. I believe the radio can remain active & draw current while appearing to be off on the older cars, so suspect that could have been the cause. Now I turn it off manually before turning off the car. I also heard double locking the car can help so do this too. 1978 Laverda Jota. Stolen...
1980 Honda CBX1000 6cyl.
1978 Laverda Montjuic.
2010 Yamaha MT01.

Post #318447 27th Feb 2017 10:50 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

phone calls on the hands free kit used to not shut down if you turned the car off before ending the call

boot switch shorting, due to water ingress can cause flat battery too

likewise leaving a interior light on or a failing battery Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #318453 27th Feb 2017 11:13 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Agree with both of the above replies. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #333997 28th Oct 2017 11:33 am
Greybeard

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Opening the boot using the remote when the car is locked caused the battery to go flat in two to three days.

Post #334026 28th Oct 2017 4:59 pm
Bogart

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Seems flattish battery quite common. I had problems last winter so fitted new premium exide and was ok. Now for some reason has started playing up this week again. Charged it up and after a couple of short trips the morning after volyage just about. 12v. Car did start but I am now wary as going away over Christmas. Wife last night said she could not get keyfob out nor would it start. Found though was not in park!

Post #337787 22nd Dec 2017 12:15 pm
Badger51

Australia 

Shouldn't be your issue after only 3 days but you should double lock to make sure all the ecu's go to sleep. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #337824 23rd Dec 2017 3:27 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Bogart wrote:
Seems flattish battery quite common. I had problems last winter so fitted new premium exide and was ok. Now for some reason has started playing up this week again. Charged it up and after a couple of short trips the morning after volyage just about. 12v. Car did start but I am now wary as going away over Christmas. Wife last night said she could not get keyfob out nor would it start. Found though was not in park!

Go away, just leave wife at home Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #337825 23rd Dec 2017 6:29 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Although this is written about a different car I thought you might be interested.

I looked it up yesterday as my daughter's Toyota Sienna suffered a flat battery after several days of stop start driving around Vancouver, with heavy use of electric seats, blanket, etc. and periods of being left parked with doors open (occuppied but not running)
The work around seems to be to apply addition baterry charging,once a week or fortnight, to keep average battery charge above 50%. I hope this only applies to running in heavy metropolitian traffic.

http://www.siennachat.com/forum/67-problem...harge.html

The battery management system of the FL2 is very sophisticated. I know the auto version will hang on to lower gears to speed the battery charge if neccesary. Also I know from experience (at Heathrow, after returning from holiday) that the car will close down fully after a time until only the perimeter alarm is working and you have enter car via the emergency key. The FL2 XS started, once I was inside, with no problem, so it must have worked.

The later cars are even more annoying in that they will not allow you to have the radio on for more than a few minutes if the engine is not running, and other things power down at different times and only come alive if a door is opened.

I must admit that now the car electrical circuits are not based on simple on/off switches and complete isolation, I do worry about my reliance on the car managing it's power rescources.

(edited once to clarify that I do not holiday at Heathrow) FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Last edited by IanMetro on 23rd Dec 2017 11:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #337866 23rd Dec 2017 7:13 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Interesting FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #337874 23rd Dec 2017 8:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1