Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Is your Caravan connected to mains when stored?- read this !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue
Is your Caravan connected to mains when stored?- read this !

OK, hands up, I'm a numpty. Embarassed But I am moderately intelligent and worse, well educated in science and engineering (so should know better), but I figure if I can make this foul up, so can you.

If you use a blue 16A "Commando" connector for your van, be aware that many are far from waterproof. I had stupidly assumed that being designed for rugged outdoor use, they must be IP65 at least. Oh no, IP44. And while that is supposed to be OK outside, it is a bare minimum and as I have found, can mean it leaks like a sieve. On mine there is no seal at the cable entry, so hanging down from the 13A (waterproof IP 65) socket, the Commando end just fills with water)

If your house RCD keeps tripping, this may be the reason !

Post #333499 19th Oct 2017 3:23 pm
Largered

"...... On mine there is no seal at the cable entry .........."

even if it DID have a seal at cable entry ............ its still IP44

Post #333503 19th Oct 2017 4:30 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I use them in poultry sheds you have to prop the lid open after power washing around them to let the water out,, despite a variety of waterproofing precautions.

Very rare that the water touches the electric, in my case as the plug is out when washing, its the plug that holds to water in, an unplugged one is self draining except the lid as mentioned.

try drilling some tiny holes towards the bottoms of the units that will stop water collecting,

plug it into your neighbours garage to save your trips going . or sell the caravan At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #333505 19th Oct 2017 4:41 pm
Largered

read this ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

Post #333506 19th Oct 2017 4:57 pm
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

Largered wrote:
"...... On mine there is no seal at the cable entry .........."

even if it DID have a seal at cable entry ............ its still IP44

Yes, but you are assuming I knew (checked) it was IP44. I assumed (which made an ASS of me, if not U) as they were intended for outdoor use they'd be appropriately sealed. I was, of course, wrong.

Although the IP44 spec implies it should be OK - "water splashing from any direction" - it's only out in the rain, which I take to be splashing. Although I would never consciously choose an outdoor rating less than 5 (65 probably). The issue was I never checked.

Last edited by DirtyDuck on 19th Oct 2017 5:33 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #333508 19th Oct 2017 5:32 pm
lack_of_pies

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

You can get 16Amp IP67 rated connectors with the lock-ring. Obviously you need to upgrade your socket as well.

This one from Toolstation.

Click image to enlarge

Post #333509 19th Oct 2017 5:32 pm
Largered

yes you can change both ends for a 'local' hook-up ............. BUT at EVERY caravan site you may want to stay at Sad

Post #333514 19th Oct 2017 6:07 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

My brother in law runs a campsite and is always amazed how many people show up totally unprepared with no connectors or wrong connectors or too short cables for his hook ups or don't even know where the fuse box is in the caravan. It is clear to him that a lot of people buy a caravan/camper van and don't even try it at home before setting off. And don't get him started on erecting frame tents in the dark for the first time. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #333542 20th Oct 2017 8:48 am
Navigator

Scotland 

I think there is also a "waterproof" plug/socket made that does not have the locking ring and is interchangabale with the "not really waterproof" ones. I found them when I was trying to find out about 32A connectors used in industry.

The water ingress cannot really trouble me at home as the cable goes under the door of the garage and into an adaptor cable to a standard 13A socket. However, it seems a likely problem on UK sites where they are exposed to the elements. Odd that in dry countries like Spain the sockets are often inside a cabinet.

Only thing I have ever found in a plug on disconnecting was ten million earwigs. Don't tell my girlfriend though as connecting/disconnecting electrics is one of the few jobs she does. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #333548 20th Oct 2017 10:32 am
simong_uk

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Some of the '67 versions will fit '44 versions and vice versa - I use them regularly in various roles up to 125A 3-phase - inside and out.
The '44 versions with the compression type cable inlet are good - and I've used outside in all weathers with no issues but ones with only a rubber pushthrough grommet I only use in dry conditions

Either fit a commando socket, or have a dedicated 13A to 16A lead!

And just on the back of this - if you are on PME then maybe think about a dedicated TT'd power point for outside - in a nutshell if you are using PME, your 'earth' may actually be a few volts above true earth, meaning you could get a tingle (or worse) when you stand on teh ground and touch the metal tent...Which is why camp sites have to have TT'd supplies! 2000 Xei 1.8 gone
2004 HSE Td4 Auto, MT's, sump guard, sliderz - gone
2014 GS Man - AT's, Mantec Sump guard and tank guard, split charger in boot, towbar, work in progress...

Post #333563 20th Oct 2017 6:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1