« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Attention all Oldies and Dashcammers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

Northcroft wrote:
blimey I am 8 years off that but I did know about the 70 ruling.

I still have a paper licence from 1978 and never had a point on it, am I unique ?

There was one occasion in recent years it was more beneficial, when I tried to hire a car 5 years back, I wanted my partner to share the driving, she had a photocard which meant they wanted to charge her to phone the DVLA to check for points, my paper one was instantly accepted ! Rolling with laughter Whistle

I have had my license since 1970 , no points , never been stopeed ,till last night .!!

Was waved to side of the road , just doing a check sir (was actually driving wife's 5-month-old car ) checking tyres sir .. fine says I (wind howling rain horizontal) turn heater up press electric window up as he grovels around all 4 tyres .. water dripping off his cap and onto his nose he says "All fine Sir ..!!)

with a cheery wave I say I think it is a wonderful inisitive... hope you catch lots of people Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
...as the heated seats kick in
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #333538 20th Oct 2017 8:48 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I was once stopped late at night with kids in the back doing 43 in a 30 mph area on a new bit of road. I breathalysed OK then PC started to take down details,
is this your car sir? - no it's a company car,
what company is that - Fujitsu
where is their depot? - it's in Tokyo, Japan. do you want their full address?

Suddenly it all became too difficult and he let me off with a warning. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #333541 20th Oct 2017 9:35 am
Navigator

Scotland 

In the early hours of the 1st January (in Scotland) I'm driving home along what had been a main A-class road before the motorway was opened when I spotted a police car down a side road. As expected, it followed me for a while until I was in the process of turning off when the blue lights went on. So I completed the turn and then pulled into my driveway.

As I was getting out anyway I was at the window of their car asking "Can I help you?" before they got the seat belts off. That did seem to put them off balance as they forgot the, "Is this your car?" bit and went straight to "You were driving erratically". I replied, "No. I ride a motorcycle. I know to avoid all the potholes and loose manhole covers on that road."

"You were driving without care and attention". I replied, "No. You were parked outside Number nn in xxxxx Road and did a U-turn to come out to follow me. You put your light on after I signaled my turn and only 50 yards before the junction. Not a safe place to stop."

"Have you been drinking?" To which I replied, "Yes, and eating as well" So as they reached for the breathaliser kit I added that as I was teetotal they were wasting their time on that. Fortunately for their continuing embarassment their radio suddenly burst into life, and one said to the other "We'd better go and help with that!".

So with a further word being said they sped off in a great flurry down the road - which doesn't go anywhere, so a few minutes later they were reversing back up again to turn in my driveway. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #333549 20th Oct 2017 12:03 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Yonks ago I lived in an area where there was a lot of development and building going on. The plans were for a dual carriageway but in the early stages of development only one side was built so it was and ordinary single carriageway with traffic in both directions. A year or so later the other side of the dual carriageway was built and opened and as I turned right on to the dual carriageway I was faced with a police car coming head on at me. Fortunately we were both able to stop - it was a tyre screeching smelly tyre smoke job. She, the WPC, got out of the car and started ranting and raving at me saving that I could have killed us both. She was going to book me for dangerous driving etc, etc., so I suggested that she should arrest me and take me to the police station pointing out that the best way to the police station was along the correct side of the dual carriageway. To say she was embarrased was quite an understatement, so much that she couldn't find time to apologise or give me her collar number or car reg number and mumbling something about clearing the road she got in her car and drove off in the right direction after making a real hash-up of turning round.

J

Post #333590 21st Oct 2017 10:59 am
Bubbles

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Firenze Red
Re: Attention all Oldies and Dashcammers

blacktiger wrote:
Jimboland wrote:

They also said that anything on dashcam that shows me committing an offence would also be subject to prosecution - fair enough.

J

So submit the footage AFTER editing it. On my Nextbase I can take out the card and plug it into my Laptop and use VLC to edit the footage down to just the relevant parts.

Pretty sure that if the footage and raw file has been edited/tampered wit in any way it becomes inadmissible as evidence anyway - for a prosecution they would need to have the raw data on the memory card/chip - and it would have to be made available to any defence team if a prosecution was forthcoming. FL No 1 - 2012 (MY2011) XS manual Firenze Red - Gone
FL No 2 - 2012 (MY2012) XS manual Barolo Black - SWMBO wanted one too!
FL No 3 -2013 XS SD4 Auto Santorini Black
Series III SWB Hardtop - long gone
110 CSW V8 - long gone
Discovery 1 200Tdi - long gone

Post #333816 25th Oct 2017 1:25 pm
blacktiger

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

npinks wrote:
blacktiger wrote:
npinks wrote:
Were as I agree, that footage should be used and anything within it

However, it smells of, submit the footage and we’ll do you for x,y,z because it’s easier and that might put you off giving me more work Wink

Just like after I was assaulted last year, because witness said I swore after the event, they couldn’t prosecute one without the other, I’m sure they said this to put me off pressing charges further

Since when did swearing become a criminal offence?

I believe it come under public order offence, but even when provoked by the other person

But that would be when you're in a public place surrounded by, er, public. Not when alone in your car. MY13 Santorini Black SD4 HSE

Post #333838 25th Oct 2017 5:46 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Disclosure rules.

Cops may look at dash cam footage to find out what happened or help identify suspects etc but the admissibility or not of dash cam footage in court is governed by the rules of evidence. So if another motorist were ever to be charged by the CPS on the basis of a case file prepared by the cops which included such footage, the defence would require full disclosure if there had been any redaction. Failure to provide the full unedited footage would most probably render it all inadmissible.

Post #333853 25th Oct 2017 9:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Navigator

Scotland 

As the file does not show activity since the first moment of time, how technically is there any difference between a file from the camera that started on a certain day/time and a file that has been "shortened"? My Blackview in fact recordes a series of individual files of a user setable length, and auto deletes those without interesting content. So all I would need to do is keep the camera running until the earler files had gone and been overwritten by a view of my garage door. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #333878 26th Oct 2017 10:12 am
AW14

United Kingdom 

My dash cams at are limited to 3min segments, no GPS and no speed shown. GPS is not really necessary and speed might be able to be calculated by the speed you pass fixed objects but I'm not worried about that. My road racy days are over but we can all accidently speed at times. It's too easy to creep up to 35+ on some 30mph roads especially as 20mph limits are popping up all over the place.

Post #333885 26th Oct 2017 10:51 am
dennij

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I suspect the issue of what was admissible would depend on how each party defended their actions citing who was right and who was wrong. If a vehicle pulled out in front of you from a side turning for example the amount of footage needed to prove this would be quite small as having 5 minutes of footage prior to the incident would have no bearing. However, if someone overtook you and swerved in front of you causing an accident, there may well be an argument that further footage would need to be made available to prove that you had not incited the action by a previous action you had taken on that journey.

I believe that dash cam footage could be useful in a number of cases but is subject to the honesty of the provider of the footage, it is all too easy to edit footage down to make the innocent party look guilty and vice versa.

What is also worrying is that the latest trend seems to be pedestrians jumping in front of slow moving vehicles and claiming to have been run over, there is always a witness to the event who knows the victim but claims not to. It would be impossible to prove what had actually happened if you didn't have your dash cam running at the time.

Post #333887 26th Oct 2017 11:08 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

To update so far: Recieved a letter from the police RTC (Road Traffic Collision) Process Team to say that the report has now been recieved and giving a reference number. It goes on to say that before a final decision can be made further enquiries are necessary which may take up to six months after which I will be notified of the final decision.

J

Post #333928 27th Oct 2017 10:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12