Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport Thread **ALL HERE**
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 108 of 127 <123 ... 107108109 ... 125126127>
Print this entire topic · 
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Whats Adblue costng CG ? I assume the nutted pipe on my FL2 GS that looks like an adblue top up pipe was fitted as it was cheaper than doing a build run without it (Ewoks). FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #330780 10th Sep 2017 5:30 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Ad blu is free if you can be bothered to make an appointment then hang around for 30minutes while they top up.

or £20 for about 10000 miles worth

Ill avoid topping up when a service is due to maximise the free top ups.

now I have an adblue drum with spout I can see a neighbouring farmer and get 20l for beer money. I have no adblu farm machines here At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #330788 10th Sep 2017 7:07 pm
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

snerkler wrote:
Hi,

My FL2 Metropolis is coming up to the end of its PCP and I'm toying with options. Top of the wish list is the DS HSE Dynamic, although not sure if it'll be out of my price range. However, I have a question about the new engines, and gearbox.

Firstly, my FL2 has the 2.2 SD4 which has 190bhp and 450Nm torque IIRC but the DS engine I'd probably be looking at is the TD4 180bhp which has 430Nm. For those that have gone from the Old FL2 SD4 to the new 180hp TD4 did you notice a reduction in drive/power? I know there's the 240hp Diesel but it's very pricey.

Also, I'm concerned that with the loss of HP and torque, as well as the extra 3 gears that it will be forever changing gear, especially with just the slightest hint of acceleration. Is this the case?

Any help appreciated.

Can't comment on the engine, but the gearbox is superb - you won't notice the gear changes. However, you will (may) notice that the ride is not as comfy as your FL2 - we test drove and test drove the DS until we decided it wasn't for us - ride too firm, seats too firm and not big enough (I am a big but not enormous guy), and a bit too "pretty" to be used for a utility vehicle, but that is a personal view that you don't need my opinion on. So we have bought a late used FL2 instead.

The handing of the DS is superb, and for the handling you get the ride is good (way better than an X3 for example).

Words that might describe an FL2 - comfy, laid back, rugged, muddy.
Words that might describe a DS - sharp, taught, good looking, clean.

Just my take .....

Take a ride through the DS forum - way more opinion/facts than I can give not having actually owned one! But don't expect fuel economy anything like book is something that seems pretty clear (and more off than most cars these days)

Post #330867 11th Sep 2017 3:04 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

AdBlue top up is only free if you have the service plan. Otherwise it's pricey from LR, but you can buy it from Halfords and top it up yourself.
MPG is not what they claim, inevitably, but is getting better as the engine runs in. Mine is now getting an indicated 43 at 70, slightly better at 60. Of course it drops for short journeys with a cold engine, but that too seems to have improved - may just be the warm weather though. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #330871 11th Sep 2017 3:17 pm
chicken george

LR sell the add blue in a fancy transfer bottle, leading some to think its toxic/corrosive etc. just glug it in using the spout on a 20l drum from amazon, them swill any spill of with hose pipe no big issue. At work
At home

Post #330878 11th Sep 2017 4:10 pm
TurboDan

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Whistler White

chicken george wrote:
does seem to be a lot of rejections, not sure what the non forum rejection rate is.
My car has suffered none of the problems mentioned, infact to problems at all, adblu use is higher than I was told, its thought landrover inceased usage to avoid a VW type emmisions problem.

All in all a good car, the drivers door trim hums a little when cold ( infrequently). seats and storage are very clever as long as you leave the boot cover permanently in the garage.I dont mind that with privacy glass, Infact there never anything of value in the boot so often its better show that than have people break in to take a look.

Id buy another

My father has a '16 X3 and also has the trim from wind resistance when driving. Seems to be something I'm hearing from a number of friends who have recently bought vehicles. Not sure if there is a central reason or not. CAR HISTORY
1997 Saab 900 SE 2.0 Turbo
2003 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T
2008 Land Rover LR2 SE 2.3 I6

Post #333515 19th Oct 2017 6:11 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

chicken george wrote:
LR sell the add blue in a fancy transfer bottle, leading some to think its toxic/corrosive etc. just glug it in using the spout on a 20l drum from amazon, them swill any spill of with hose pipe no big issue.

It's just urea , it won't harm anything , on the contrary it's good for the plants Rolling with laughter you probably use tonnes of it in a lower grade anyway CG. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #333526 19th Oct 2017 8:47 pm
chicken george

Nothing low grade here, especially now the accountant doesnt arrrive in a subaru for his annual visit.

Used plenty of urea in my time yes At work
At home

Post #333528 19th Oct 2017 9:16 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I’ve been using a DS SD4 HSE 240 since the FF went in for some snagging on Monday.

I’ve really enjoyed all of my Land Rovers to date, but this one isn’t for me. What did shock me though was how peaky the engine is; it’s a very crude power delivery and extremely hard to drive smoothly. It’s not even anything like as quick as the 240 tag would suggest and the noise under hard acceleration is pretty nasty.

Fuel economy in normal use is working out around an indicated 31 point something, which is only about 3-4mpg better than the indicated figure in the SDV8 and no better than it was in my last SD4 FL2! This is not the sort of fuel economy that’s a good idea with such a small fuel tank either.

I’ve used lower powered DS’s before and (while it’s unfair to expect a DS to be as good as an FL2!) I’m sure that they’ve usually been nicer to drive than this.

Post #333530 20th Oct 2017 2:54 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Useful first-hand information! Thanks. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone

Post #333578 20th Oct 2017 11:13 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 
The Ewok is gone - long live the Disco Sport

Hooray the Ewok is gone - lost £8.5K on a two year old car in six months and I am a very happy motorist.

After 3 Freelanders I was nagged into buying the Ewok Pure Tech by the Mrs. helped by the lads - they thought I was going to change the gearbox in the street a couple of months after a heart bypass, ...... as if, ..... I was going to do it after 6 weeks.

Anyway the death trap has gone, my least favourite car of all time, with the added benefit that it would occasionally just roll out of junctions when you had your foot buried firmly in the carpet - not fun if a Cleo is bearing down on you, bloody scary if it's a tanker.
The car was too small, suspension too hard, closed in like a coffin, gearbox too jerky, seats too hard and worst of all it was grey.
Replaced by a Disco Sport HSE auto - in grey(!)
It's like being in a modern version of the FL2, softly sprung, steady acceleration (not jerky), proper driving position, all the usual toys. Looking forward to another 200,000 miles. Only issue 2 years or 21k mile services - really, think I will be sticking to 15K which is every 8 months. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #336387 1st Dec 2017 5:33 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Nice one Thumbs Up I would be doing oil before 15k though. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #336395 1st Dec 2017 6:17 pm
chicken george

Youll do well to get 10000 between changes, oil dilution issues due to dpf regens.

Do not investigate this on disco sport forum, there is a huge thread mostly written by a liar, I wrote my share too. At work
At home

Post #336399 1st Dec 2017 7:07 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Presumably you took out a service plan? This covers two services over 5 years(!). The car will ask for oil changes more often than that, but these are being carried out FREE as a LR warranty item. There are plenty of details on the DS forum, but as CG has pointed out, there are a few obsessives there determined to make a mountain out of (in my opinion) a molehill and talk the car down. It's a great car and unless you do nothing but short journeys (in which case the diesel Ingenium may well be a problem) I think you'll love it. Did you order it with a spare wheel by the way? That, or the lack of it, is the main bone of contention for many of us.
Agree about the Ewok - I had one as a courtesy car and it felt really cramped - even putting the seat belt on was a struggle, and I'm not massively overweight. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone

Post #336403 1st Dec 2017 8:56 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

It's a September 2016 ex LR flees car with 7k miles - and has no spare, I was hoping to be able to buy the parts to fit one.

Mmmmm service plan
Bought the ewok with 45k on the clock freshly serviced, the week before I got rid I had her serviced again as part of the serving plan. Two days after getting rid I got a call saying the service plan had expired and that I owed £500 for the service
Appears that they have a 50k limit that wasn't mentioned in the paperwork I was given. See you in court sunshine.
But once bitten twice shy. Or as is often quoted repeating the same action (mistake) and expecting a different result is insane

I drive 40 motorway miles each way to and from work, so DPF shouldn't be a probe Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #336407 2nd Dec 2017 7:20 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 108 of 127 <123 ... 107108109 ... 125126127>