Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Project day!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LeedsJim

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Barolo Black
Project day!

Had a 'project day' on Saturday with the new 'S'.

Got some Winbo side steps from Shpock, a Land Rover (Thule) towbar from Gumtree and an upgraded steering wheel from ebay (from a link on here - thank you Smile)

Tackled the towbar first. Removed the back bumper which wasn't as bad as I though it was going to be, and then it bolted on pretty easily to the pre-formed holes in the underbody. Wiring loom came with a grommet already fitted on it, so just popped the existing one in the boot off and it connected up easily. Probably took around 90 mins altogether. Need to check if the electrics work or needs activating now though - don't spose anyone knows do they? We've got a 2009 'S' and the towbar is this model - it's an 'official Land Rover' one so I'm hoping they'll just work:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next the side steps - no trim needed removing and they fitted to the pre-formed bodywork holes easily enough. Awkward'ish getting some of the brackets fixed on, but nothing too bad. Took about 90 minutes in all.

Steering wheel last - disconnected the battery and then removed the airbag. It took a few attempts to hook the retaining bars on the airbag but came off easily once they were located. Needed to get a new larger torx bit to remove the steering wheel retaining bolt, then unclipped the wires and the wheel pulled off easily. Refitted the new one and connected everything up and it worked great. The audio remote controls worked straight away and all buttons on the wheel light up. This took around 20 minutes to complete.
I want to get the cruise control activated if possible - has anyone done that and what's needed if so? Also, I'm guessing the green and red phone buttons won't do anything unless I upgrade the stereo?

Cheers for any advice and help Smile

Post #333319 16th Oct 2017 11:41 am
ronp

Scotland 

Good work. Thumbs Up FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #333325 16th Oct 2017 1:34 pm
marcusfordus

2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Zermatt Silver
Re: Project day!

LeedsJim wrote:
Had a 'project day' on Saturday with the new 'S'.

Got some Winbo side steps from Shpock, a Land Rover (Thule) towbar from Gumtree and an upgraded steering wheel from ebay (from a link on here - thank you Smile)

Tackled the towbar first. Removed the back bumper which wasn't as bad as I though it was going to be, and then it bolted on pretty easily to the pre-formed holes in the underbody. Wiring loom came with a grommet already fitted on it, so just popped the existing one in the boot off and it connected up easily. Probably took around 90 mins altogether. Need to check if the electrics work or needs activating now though - don't spose anyone knows do they? We've got a 2009 'S' and the towbar is this model - it's an 'official Land Rover' one so I'm hoping they'll just work:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next the side steps - no trim needed removing and they fitted to the pre-formed bodywork holes easily enough. Awkward'ish getting some of the brackets fixed on, but nothing too bad. Took about 90 minutes in all.

Steering wheel last - disconnected the battery and then removed the airbag. It took a few attempts to hook the retaining bars on the airbag but came off easily once they were located. Needed to get a new larger torx bit to remove the steering wheel retaining bolt, then unclipped the wires and the wheel pulled off easily. Refitted the new one and connected everything up and it worked great. The audio remote controls worked straight away and all buttons on the wheel light up. This took around 20 minutes to complete.
I want to get the cruise control activated if possible - has anyone done that and what's needed if so? Also, I'm guessing the green and red phone buttons won't do anything unless I upgrade the stereo?

Cheers for any advice and help Smile

Coding needed for both towbar and cruise control on an S.
Did both at the same time just the other day on mine.
Have you fitted all the extra fuses required in the boot fusebox too ?

Post #333334 16th Oct 2017 6:18 pm
LeedsJim

Cheers ronp Thumbs Up
Marcusfordus - ooh, no I haven't added any fuses to the box. What do I need?

Post #333344 16th Oct 2017 8:05 pm
marcusfordus

Towbar

I've looked at your towbar picture again but cant see the FoMoCo module. Is it there or have you fitted 2013 electrics ?

As for fuses, they are pictured on the fusebox lid but nothing inserted. Just read the schedule.

Post #333350 16th Oct 2017 8:38 pm
LeedsJim

Yeah it's there mate, just next to the fixing plate in the pic Smile
I'll have a look into the fuse situation then, cheers

Post #333352 16th Oct 2017 8:57 pm
marcusfordus

Fuses

On both my Towbars I've fitted there is one fuse that's hard to get hold of. I went to vehicle wiring products last week and even they didn't have one. It's a shallow head Jtype slow blow. Ford/Mazda use them so I guess that's how it ended up in the FL2.
Ebay is your best best, but remember it's the shallow one not the taller version.

Post #333364 17th Oct 2017 8:03 am
LeedsJim

Aargh, it's not been a happy ending to this! Mad
Just been to have the towbar activated with Autologic and they couldn't do it. They tell me it needs some kind of extra module??
The towbar came with the grey plug that goes straight into the plug in the boot, but nothing else... (looking at your post above marcusfordus this is probably what you meant and I misunderstood!)
Mine's a 2009, think it was off a slightly newer one, possibly a 2012. Is there a difference in the wiring.
I've not tried it on the actual caravan yet, but assuming nothing's going to work - sposed to be taking it away next week too...

Post #333551 20th Oct 2017 12:24 pm
marcusfordus

I thought it looked like later wiring. I didn't know that plug would push into the car wiring directly. My bar wiring plugs into the module mounted on a bracket and that bolts to the floor and the car wiring plugs into the module.
I can't take a picture of my for you as I'm away for the week so you know what is needed.

Post #333555 20th Oct 2017 3:58 pm
LeedsJim

Ah, cheers mate. Yeah, looks like I need yet another kit to get it working. Trouble is getting it and fitting it before Thursday when we're meant to. E going away in it Sad

Post #333556 20th Oct 2017 4:12 pm
Lunar-Rover

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Wait till you see the price of the module! . had the same idea, it' now hard wired into the loom with the little split charger thingy! REME .. Rough Engineering Made Easy

Post #333572 20th Oct 2017 8:05 pm
Freelander marto

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I had a hard time finding a 13pin Land Rover tow kit for the earlier model freelander. Always on back order was the answer I was getting back. Any way I was looking for the 13 pin one (VPLFT0077) as this is the one I preferred. Not sure what other are like to get hold of. If you want 13 pin kit try one of these Land Rover places they have them in stock. Marto
Sturgess Land Rover, LE2 7GS, LEICESTER on 01162 470373
Listers Land Rover, WR9 9AY, DROITWICH on 01905 797777
Listers Land Rover, B90 4EL, SOLIHULL on 0121 745 5566
Peter Vardy Land Rover, AB12 3AT, ABERDEEN on 01224 871219 GS Sd4 2012

Post #333647 22nd Oct 2017 3:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1