« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Battery draining on FL2 GS 2011
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Lightwater wrote:
Have you got an electronic anti rust device.

LR tried to flog one of these off to me for the new car. I knew about them from the 1980s & the scam that they don't work. Could not believe this rubbish is still being pushed onto unsuspecting buyers! It has a small but constant drain on the battery!

Sounds like you would be off off fitting sacrificial anodes like they do on ships! At least they don't take power. Laughing 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #330691 9th Sep 2017 8:18 am
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver

Still the flat battery ,I now swop over and charge up using two battery's .i new one which is now 8 months old is the std item.the first one is bigger both in size and ah.its a banner 600 32.100 ah 680 a. It's 225 in hight 300 long 170 wide.it does stop the battery cover from fully pushing down.whats the biggest battery's fitted by the members.also due to the lack of confidence in the starting what power pack have been tried .

Post #332699 7th Oct 2017 10:18 am
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Parasitic battery drain can be an absolute b Censored d to track down if its of any help there is a document in my gallery files that gets you going on hunting down the source - as if you did not know already - it is likely to be a long and painful journey Big Cry https://www.freel2.com/gallery/albums/user...rnight.pdf[/url] No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #332706 7th Oct 2017 11:48 am
Bobbyg

Hi it's time to get the metre out again,I have a low current dc clip on ammeter that use,also the measurement across the top of the fuses themselves .thanks for the info everything helps with a problem like this.
Thanks Bob

Post #332738 7th Oct 2017 7:44 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

The "Quickfit method" of checking a battery is at ts best DODGY"
Had a similar problem on my first freelander 2(non stop startversion would never have one of the start stop one but that another story ..!! )
Battery started to loose charge, metered it .. New battery fine for about 2 months again same problems .

called up battery manufacturer up arranged to meet at supplying garage, local tech guy from quick fit applied test machine
all fine he says with smirk on his face ...

I then produce neatly typed results of charge/ discharge cycle and why the electrolyte in a led–acid battery is at its highest sulfuric acid concentration when the battery is fully charged. and all relevant readings for all cells during cycle .

Myself and techie guy from battery company decide it is one cell that is not correct after double checking the electrolyte value across all cells yet again .

result NEW bigger capacity battery as car is outside all the time, never under cover and has constant conversations with all the passing sheep as to the weather each day and the effect it has on things!!
kwick fit ....no idea ... Whistle Whistle Whistle Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #332760 8th Oct 2017 7:44 am
Bobbyg

Hi what size was the new upgraded battery ,did it solve the problem.

Post #332763 8th Oct 2017 8:11 am
Bobbyg

Just got the Aldi smart charger ,will try the long charge and se if it changes any thing.when fully charged and left on the bench how will the voltage drop over time .i will check it on a day to day test..as for the solar Panel not sure how good they are .i fitted one had it working via a relay which cut it out of the circuit when the engine switched on.i don't think they like to be connected when the engine starts.

Post #332765 8th Oct 2017 8:20 am
Bobbyg

Power pack

Could be a new topic,but related to the ongoing battery saga.i have now got a ring power pack rpp950.very basic instructions it's on charge but how do you now when it's fully charged and ready for use.until I can solve the battery drain problem I'm hoping this will help.

Post #333197 13th Oct 2017 3:59 pm
WGG1848

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Update

Ok, back from holiday and picked up the car from its extended stay at the local dealership.
They fitted a new Land Rover battery, LR032876, 80Ah 800A, cost a bit more than should, but as I have extended warranty I thought that the best way to go to avoid the ‘non Landi part’ issue in future.
They could not detect any leakage problems after fitting the new battery.
I left the car unused for a day and attached the CTEK MXS 7, it started its usual sequence, but stalled for about an hour on the ‘bulk’ stage, before going onto the ‘ready to use part. The instructions state this could take 20 hours.
I hope this does solve my issue, after all it had the original battery on.
But I saw a battery tester on amazon, an Ancel universal battery tester. Are they any good for battery’s in situ in car? One Discovery, gone
Now on third Freelander 2
2013 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Post #333277 15th Oct 2017 10:36 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12