« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Remap and insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Steven.T

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey
Remap and insurance

Hi guys, any one had any bother getting insurance for a remap? I've tried admiral and Hastings, both said no... And LV are wanting to charge 1400!

Post #333069 11th Oct 2017 3:35 pm
AW14

United Kingdom 

Mapped the ECU on several cars and never a problem.

Try Aplan, Lancaster or Adrian Flux. I have also had Aviva cover a mapped car.

Post #333072 11th Oct 2017 4:42 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Just a thought but I wonder how many people buy cars that have been remapped but not declared at point of sale and what are the insurance implications?

I remember when people used to replace the needle in their SU carburettor (equivalent to a remap) and no mention was ever made of telling the insurance company then. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #333108 12th Oct 2017 8:35 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Yes and you could then reach 65 in a Moggy instead of 60. Rolling with laughter (if you dare). FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #333111 12th Oct 2017 8:43 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I still have a Gunson's ColourTune ! For younger readers it's a glass spark plug so that you can see the colour of the flame when the engine is going. Yellow flame meant that it was too rich (just like a bunsen burner) so adjust until it just goes blue. Brilliant piece of kit. If you had that plus a timing light you could fix anything. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #333113 12th Oct 2017 8:49 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Very Happy , yes the inline strobe that if I remember correctly went between a spark plug and a plug lead, I had that, the ColorTune, and I still have an Eezibleed brake bleeder that works off a spare wheel. In fact I think they still sell Eezibleed. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #333123 12th Oct 2017 12:11 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Duplicated Embarassed 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #333126 12th Oct 2017 12:36 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

In the vein of the original post
You buy a car from a LR dealer, and it has been chipped, you don't know it, they don't know it, and you have an accident.
Would the insurers check?
Can the insurers check?

More importantly can the insurer refuse to pay out? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #333128 12th Oct 2017 12:50 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Depends on any accident history. I once saw a investigation engineer insist we (the main dealer garage) get a write off going so he could check the power steering. Not that much left to get going but I assume the claim said that the power steering or steering had failed. Think it was a very crunched Triumph Stag. Would anyone do that now, maybe if a death was involved. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #333129 12th Oct 2017 1:23 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

As Andy has stated I bet there is a lot of used cars with a remap and the current owners are not aware it has one Whistle MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #333130 12th Oct 2017 1:35 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

In answer about can the insurance company check the answer is yes !
Do they check Oh YES !
In the event of a death deep investigation if it involves a large payout.
Can it be found out Oh definitely yes yes yes
Re-map, EGR removal , DPF removal and DPF re-map

To be honest very simple on most accounts. if the re-map has been done very professionally its more difficult but just looking at the name sor dates on files is a give away if you know what your looking for, forget the average garage or dealer as they don't usually know.

I have an acquaintance that does it full time for a living for insurance companies and he extracts everything available, even down to force of impact recorded by g sensors, steering angle , brake pressure if monitored , vehicle speed and whether any modified files in the ECU etc etc.

Moving forward DVSa are catching up with technology now for detecting DPF removal and future roadside checks could be very expensive for some ! huge amounts.

You now also have to declare if you have had insurance declined which is never a good sign ! Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #333144 12th Oct 2017 6:56 pm
anglaslt

Lithuania 2015 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

A salutary warning from Mr oldgeezer for anyone who might have thought "no one will ever know". I cannot imagine any responsible person on here would re-map without notifying their insurance company which leads me to ask the question "is re-mapping really worth the hassle?

Don't get me wrong, I love cars with big engines and plenty of power, but to face years of increased premiums (or worse still refusal) for the sake of a few extra horsepower just doesn't seem to be worth it. In any event, where can you use this extra power which will only knock off a few tenths of a second on your way to getting your next three points on your licence? Whenever I drive in UK I'm particularly conscious of the aggressive speed enforcement and spend a lot of time in cruise control on endless average speed limit roads. Sadly here we're at the other end of the scale where speeding, or any other motoring offence, is rarely enforced. I actually saw someone reading a book at the wheel the other day Rolling Eyes

Rather than re-mapping maybe better to think about what you really want to buy in the first place. Just my opinion of course......... driving on the right side

Post #333183 13th Oct 2017 11:22 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

agree with what your saying but sometimes, just sometimes, people have their cars remapped for other reasons other than BHP and speed increase.
We all know that every vehicle is a generic clone when it comes to ECU settings etc. and in theory every vehicle is a mechanical clone as well.

But in real every day terms this isn't the case, no 2 vehicles off any production line are exactly identical (discounting options added by the customer)

So a FL2 HSE Auto that rolls off the production line in the morning, and another 'identical' HSE that rolls off in the afternoon may on paper be the same but there will always be differences.

so a remap for the right reasons will only get the vehicle running as it should do, fuel flow, timing, air mix, etc etc etc.... and a by product of making the vehicle more efficient is increased BHP which 9/10 times leads to higher speed driving.

should insurance companies be advised by the person having it remapped... yes
should insurance companies penalise drivers of 2nd/3rd/4th hand remapped vehicles .... probably not as it unlikely they would ever know their new purchase from Arthur Daley Motors had been altered.

When asked by insurers if my car has been modified from standard, then I always answer no, not to the best of my knowledge....What else can I do?? or should everyone selling a car, either dealer or private have to prove that everything has been factory reset as you do with an old mobile phone.

Post #333189 13th Oct 2017 12:08 pm
Steven.T

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

Bit of an update, managed to get sorted with A plan for £700 which I don't think is bad for a 24 year old who wants a remap! To be honest I only want it to help the mpg I'm not interested in the extra power its got enough as it is really! And I know its a land rover and you don't buy them for good mpg and all that but every little helps, it's either a remap or buy something more economical and I ain't getting rid of the Freelander for a while!

Post #333198 13th Oct 2017 5:15 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Thumbs Up A-plan are good at sorting insurance for modified cars - in the past I used them for my remapped Td5, SKodas and Beemer Jules

Post #333201 13th Oct 2017 5:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1