Home > General > Advice on buying a Freelander 2 for towing and off road use
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
trngia

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Advice on buying a Freelander 2 for towing and off road use

Hi All,

Bit of background. I am in Australia and imported a FL2 from the UK. After a few mods for Australia I decided to move onwards to a D3 which I have currently. In March next year we will return to the UK and looking for the next LR. I was going to move onto a D4 but it’s probably an overkill for what I want in the UK and not been that happy with the D3/D4 platform with lots of issues when touring and off road. I have been looking at the new Disco Sport and the FL2. It seems you can pick up a later model FL2 in Top spec for a reasonable price and don’t think I can justify the cash for a Disco Sport just yet although that’s my wife’s favourite Smile

I am after the following:
- A Land Rover Smile
- Towing a camping trailer around Europe
- a few green lanes and muddy fields
- some of the newer mod cons in the later model FL2 onwards

My plan would be to go for some 17” wheels with some decent AT or MT tyres on, add a couple of bash plates and potentially look to raise the suspension as a later mod if needed.

Any advice what to look for in a second hand FL2 and the common issues at higher mileage’s. the plan would be to try and get an approved used LR with 2 years warrenty on. The FL2 I used to have was an older engine and actually had zero issues with it apart from being bogged 3 times in Australia due to clearance and Newbie errors!

Rich.

Post #332926 10th Oct 2017 2:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

If your going for a used approved from LR then you had better be quick... they are rapidly disappearing off the LR forecourts as they become more of a distant memory for them.

From what you have said, a late model MY13> will suffice and depending on how many on board toys you want (meridian audio for example) then XS or SE Tech would probably suit your needs.

For your towing and off road you will definitely need an auto... so SD4 Auto is definitely your best option

this is the cheapest XS spec on the LR Approved site

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/search#/details/2810213

but if mileage isn't too much of an issue then for 1k more this HSE

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/search#/details/2795302

you sound well versed in the ways of LR so just look out for usual.... the LR Approved warranty will cover any major issues that may crop up.

Good luck in your search... Thumbs Up

Post #332927 10th Oct 2017 6:45 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

As above. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #332933 10th Oct 2017 7:44 am
trngia

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the replies. Yup. If all the FL2’s are taken by next March maybe it will be a DS Smile

Post #332957 10th Oct 2017 12:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

Other things being equal, a DS may well be a better bet by March - numbers are dropping off at main dealers and prices rising for FL2. I didn't check, but I reckon I could have got a slightly newer DS for similar money. That price premium will only hold for the main dealer while they run them out, not for you once you come to sell.

Now I didn't want a DS, but if you are happy with one, don't be caught out paying too much for an FL2. Just be aware that the DS has a much firmer ride. Better handling on road, but not as comfy, but you can work all this out yourself !

Definitely vote for 17" wheels - I downgraded my 19's to 18, I had an offer on some 18's too good to miss, but given a free choice 17 would have been my preference. The 18's improve the ride AND handling over 19's as well of course as giving more versatile off road capability (ie less chance of tyre and wheel damage when going agricultural). DS come in some silly wheel sizes as standard - better spec'd ones up to 20", so you may need to fund some smaller ones.

Post #332974 10th Oct 2017 3:26 pm
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

Price parity has not been achieved yet - the cheapest approved used DS is still £5-6K more than I paid and more miles too, but newer of course.

Post #332976 10th Oct 2017 3:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1