Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Considering 22" alloys and Pirelli Scorpion tyres.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Considering 22" alloys and Pirelli Scorpion tyres.

I've been offered a set of 22" Savini alloys fitted with Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres . Apparently the alloys alone where the thick end of 2 grand and the Pirelli's around £700 but they were only on the Freelander for a month before the owner changed their mind and decided on another wheel/tyre combination.
Couple of things that are bothering me.
Will they affect the MPG ? I've got the i6 , not the most frugal in the first place.
What do 22" handle like.
I've been offered them at a good price - I know the vehicle they are off and the seller is a big player in the Land Rover scene. I know this seller on a personal level and trust what he says.
Sorely tempted, but with reservations as above.
These are the same alloys. But the ones on offer are silver and black.

Click image to enlarge

Post #332728 7th Oct 2017 6:34 pm
Largered

the girl across the road will only let the air out of them. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #332731 7th Oct 2017 7:13 pm
RealBeale

Blimey - that's some memory . I forgot all about that incident !!

Found this the other day............ Ner Ner

Post #332747 7th Oct 2017 10:13 pm
de1979

England 

It won't affect the MPG beyond marginally. It will handle like a pig over bumps and slightly better round corners if you can push a great wallowing slow 4x4 fast enough to notice.

I've got 20" Evoque alloys on mine. So I get the need to make it look better, meaner etc, but 20" is pushing it. The standard 45 profile tyres looked like rubber bands and I've gone to 50 profile to make it look remotely like a 4x4 again. Why anyone would fit 22" with 35 profile tyres is beyond me! Like fitting an M3 with off road tyres. Buy a car that suits your needs because anything modified this far beyond standard can only look ridiculous IMHO.

Sorry.

Post #332750 7th Oct 2017 11:35 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

The handling advantages of low profile tyres are usually massively overstated and these will be no exception. They will be heavier than the standard rims (increased unsprung weight being the enemy of suspension), road imperfections will knock you off line as it tramlines like mad, while pot holes and kerbstones will haunt your every waking hour (especially with a diamond cut surface!).

Is it fair to assume that they will be wider than the original tyres? You’ll need to restrict the steering look too (so your turning circle will be affected). You will also need to explain it to your insurance company and you’ll restrict the number of insurance companies that will want to quote come renewal time.

On looks alone, your brakes will look lost inside the wheels (being able to fit bigger brakes being the proper reason for ever bigger wheels), while the whole look will be reminiscent of that Pirelli advert from a few years ago, “Power is nothing without control”!

Having run 3 different FL2’s, each with different wheel sizes, I found the optimum size to make it the nicest possible drive was 18”

Post #332757 8th Oct 2017 5:39 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Here’s an old thread about 22’s and read my comments. To add there is no probs lock to lock if you run 265/35R22 tyres! Mine works on our family farm often and again no problems.
Get some good M+S rubber on them.
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic28155.html?highlight=22+wheels

On the farm
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic29573.html?highlight=farm

Ps if your going greenlaning or heavy off-roading I would highly recommend 17s like we have on the XS which is a farm vehicle.

[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #332766 8th Oct 2017 9:22 am
RealBeale

Thanks for the replies everyone. It has helped me come to the conclusion I already had at the back of my mind - leave well alone. I want a set of winter tyres and these are a bargain given the cost of them new - less than the price of a new set of 22" Pirelli Scorpions.. However, I think I'll just buy a set of tyres and have them put on my spare 18" rims down the shed.

L R Nut - cheers , however I did read at length your posts before deciding to start a this thread. If anything it made me even more undecided as I think they work well on your Freelander.
As mine is all black, including the wheels, I wasn't sure about the massive 22" with their silver bits.
Here's the vehicle with the exact rims.

Post #332788 8th Oct 2017 4:36 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

John Craddocks FL2 ? I believe that was a scary expensive modified one Shocked

Post #332844 9th Oct 2017 8:12 am
RealBeale

That's correct. Around 70K apparently. Recently sold for less than 5K. Was going to buy it myself but ..............found out it had been sold without me being contacted first as promised. Was really annoyed that it went so cheap. Until I had an unexpected conversation with someone in the know (name withheld) who told me what a nail it really was.
Engine was shot and breathed heavily, flappy paddle gearbox set-up didn't work despite someone spending 3 days on it, bespoke body kit had been on and off so many times it ended up being held on with cable ties etc, Evoque seats were from a LHD car so they couldn't sort the electrics being on the wrong side, dash lit up like a Christmas tree etc etc ..............dodged a bullet there me thinks. I did like that bonnet though !

Post #332847 9th Oct 2017 8:56 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I loved the body kit and bonnet when I first saw it.

Evoque seats into a FL2 has been done before (not sure about that mod as they don't look right IMO) and the flappy paddle has been done too (again not sure about that one as you still need to knock it into sport mode I guess unlike the Evoque which can have manual changes in D or S mode)

If the car was such a nail on the whole, then what state were there wheels really in ?? Sounds like you had a narrow escape both on the car and on the wheels if you ask me Thumbs Up

Post #332854 9th Oct 2017 9:40 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Met the odd woman like that. Look smart on the outside but strip em back .......................... Whistle FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #332862 9th Oct 2017 10:21 am
RealBeale

RogB: The Evoque seats were bought from abroad, shipped to the UK then shipped back abroad for them to be custom re-trimmed , along with matching door cards.But obviously due to the left hand drive spec, the memory buttons were on the drivers seats, which was now on the passenger side in the RHD car.
The wheels - I had a look at them on Saturday. They were like brand new, but one had a very small 5-7mm scuff. Apart from that they were mint. However you could see that there was no protection from the tyre and future damage was inevitable.
The bonnet - I was offered that separately along with the rest of the body kit for £800, but as I knew the vehicle was still at the auction, I was told to wait until it had been brought back as it hadn't sold and was awaiting collection back to Craddocks. It was at that point I decided to make an offer on the whole vehicle , but before it's return, it had been sold outside of the auction in a clandestine deal. Something I only found out about in the chance meeting I mentioned before.
For the full body kit - less the bonnet, it's $2000 plus shipping from the Ukraine . Check out http://www.bodykits.in.ua/product/obves-bblock-freelander-2/ .

Post #332906 9th Oct 2017 7:26 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

The front bumper fitted to that FL2 arrived damaged (nasty split in middle) believe it or not from Ukraine! MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #332908 9th Oct 2017 7:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1