« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Sticking throttle flap possibly? Just fires then stops
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The dog

Scotland 
Sticking throttle flap possibly? Just fires then stops

Freelander 2.2 diesel was running great but then refused to start and continue running, it does fire for a second or so then dies. Fuel rail pressure is good and no trouble codes are showing.
I'm totally convinced this is not a fuel problem as the fuel filter is new and the system definitely has no air locks and the car has ran for a good 40+ miles since the filter was replaced. The car ran great was parked-up and then refused to start it just fires and stops
Could this be a case of the throttle flap not opening on start up and strangling the engine of air. I can't hear the flap slapping closed on switching off the ignition. Puzzled Question The Dog

Post #332267 2nd Oct 2017 9:25 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

In short yes

Mine died outside the mother-in-laws late one night.
Would start, but couldn't reach tickover speed, then died - it does depend at what angle the flap jams.
The nice man from the AA said how rough would you allow me to be - I pointed out that it was either fixed or I had to stay at the mother-in-laws. Litterally 10 minutes later, he rammed a screwdriver through the offending throttle flap.
Job done, we went home, lasted until I replaced the throttle body next weekend. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #332558 5th Oct 2017 5:16 pm
The dog

Scotland 

Thanks Andy I'll take a look at the throttle flap tomorrow. No mother-in-law stay over threats on me though Laughing

Post #332577 5th Oct 2017 9:04 pm
The dog

Scotland 

Well I removed the throttle valve assembly but left it plugged-in electrically, switched on and off the ignition the throttle flap operated as it should. I tried to start the engine with the throttle valve assembly removed from the manifold, it started for a few turns and then cut out exactly as before. Still no fault codes showing. Crank sensor renewed again just as a matter of course. Now I'm Totally flummoxed! Could the crank trigger ring be playing up again? The Autel Maxi Diag has ran out of ideas Big Cry The Dog

Post #332660 6th Oct 2017 8:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1