Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Tips & Tricks > CTEK battery charging, comfort indicator and battery state.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

That's interesting as I get a similar issue - often the mirrors won't fold in properly either as the volts are too low.

The reason it still starts is that the shutdown is intended to happen while there is still enough juice for a start.

Mine is going in in 2 weeks - I will try and remember to put their conclusions down here, but PM me if I have not posted by 17th October.

Bear in mind, while batteries can last 5-10 years, if yours is coming up to 5 years old, you may have had the best of it depending on how well the previous owner treated it.

If you need a replacement, I would suggest replacing like for like only (ie flooded with flooded, AGM with AGM)

I have had some worrying advice from Tanya - they suggested "upgrading" to an AGM battery. I think that is bad advice - if your charging system is not regulated for AGM, you will never charge it fully. Equally you could overcharge if you went back from AGM to flooded. Sadly all the dealer will say is fit a JLR battery.

I am not saying these are the correct batteries, but if I was changing mine I would choose between:-

Varta F18 - Flooded Cell
Varta F21 - AGM (if my car needs AGM only)

Both carry a 5 year warranty and I just assume are cheaper than a JLR battery with a longer warranty. Make sure they agree it's the correct battery for your car and get that added to the receipt/guarantee.

Post #332304 3rd Oct 2017 1:54 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

One lady owner at 7000m a year. Smile
will keep an eye open for your posts. thanks. Interested to hear if anyone gets the message up on screen and did they do anything about it. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #332309 3rd Oct 2017 3:22 pm
alex_pescaru

DirtyDuck wrote:
flooded should be charged at 14.4V max and AGM 14.7V max

Not quite.... The charging voltage is dependent on the battery temperature and FL2 system is pretty well designed in that matter.
Up to 15V when sub zero outside and down to 13.5V when very hot.
In fact, the battery charging voltage is dictated by the engine ECU which approximate pretty well the battery temperature from ambient temperature and intake air temperature.
And as a side fact my CTEK indicator is always green after about an hour since locking the car. So over 12.6V.

Post #332322 3rd Oct 2017 5:53 pm
DirtyDuck

That's interesting - I am aware of increase in volts needed when (very) cold. Didn't think FL2 was that clever (or any car TBH)

Trouble with mine though, it charges at 14.9 when its +15C, so temp compensation should not be an issue. So that isn't right as far as I know. Time will tell what the dealer finds - maybe the TC is faulty.

Post #332329 3rd Oct 2017 6:15 pm
DirtyDuck

JulesK wrote:

About the same as ours - low enough mileage to have had short runs which will drag the battery life down.

Although it runs really well - it does not feel like it's been given a lot of short runs. Knowing where they lived and nearest supermarket, shortest regular run was probably five miles - just enough to get warm I guess. About the same as the shortest and regular runs we do - wasn't sure myself if this is enough to keep DPF issues at bay.

Post #332330 3rd Oct 2017 6:20 pm
anglaslt

Lithuania 2015 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

JulesK wrote:
will keep an eye open for your posts. thanks. Interested to hear if anyone gets the message up on screen and did they do anything about it.

I get the message when I've been sat for a while listening to the radio. I get the normal shut down in one minute message a couple of times and then the low battery message. After it first happened I connected the CTEK when I got home and it went green very quickly. I just think the system is over cautious and I now just ignore the low battery warning. Two years on and I seem not to have a battery problem. It's just a minor irritation I can live with. driving on the right side

Post #332331 3rd Oct 2017 6:30 pm
JulesK

Many thanks anglaslt will try to ignore it but after last FL2 it has me doubting everything Smile Was getting the message every time then car wouldn't start, after many many rows with stealer it was found to be some *electronic gadget* it passenger door had packed in ( took them 3 months to find that out) Mad

* my term for anything electronic and not to be confused with any actual part * Very Happy

What do you mean by ' normal, 'shut down in 1 minute' does everyone get that? If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #332363 4th Oct 2017 7:21 am
anglaslt

Lithuania 2015 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

Well certainly on mine when listening to the radio it says it will "shut down in one minute" about every 10 minutes or so. I just turn it off and on again. With the low battery warning it is needed to actually run the engine othewrwise the radio will shut down and cannot be turned back on.

As I say, I'm not convinced the battery is low at all and the system is just being over cautious. Otherwise a faultless car I'm pleased to say Thumbs Up driving on the right side

Post #332370 4th Oct 2017 8:52 am
JulesK

Glad to hear , Many thanks. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑

Post #332376 4th Oct 2017 9:39 am
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

if your car has stop start it should have an AGM battery,if it hasn't the battery will soon die!

Post #332575 5th Oct 2017 9:56 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

freelanders self programme to accept new batteries after a few drive cycles,agm batteries I mean,some cars need diagnostic's to do this.

Post #332576 5th Oct 2017 10:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12